Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

PMGS Stampfix

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 119 / Views: 6,280Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 06/06/2020   03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As expected in light of how extensive the v1.25 changes were, a quick bug fix -- v1.26.

Three fixes with this version:

1. Tweaked the auto-detect function. The auto-detect feature allows the app to process images with single stamps or multiple stamps in the same run, auto-detecting how many stamps are in the image. The accuracy of the auto-detection is very dependent on the accuracy of the threshold setting used in the Batch for Image processing.

This setting...

My recommendation would be to get this setting where it works well for your particular background color, then save it as the default, since that sidebar isn't visible by default when you first open the app. It only appears when you load a Batch Image.

2. Fixed a bug that was causing the occasional extra period in the filenames (Ex. MiNr-1..png).

3. Got the JPG/JPEG metadata working. The DPI of your JPG/JPEG input files should now get transferred over to the output files, with one caveat.

There are two different metadata formats for JPG/JPEG, and they are not compatible. Some programs use one, some use the other. Some photo processing programs change the structure of the metadata in an attempt to be readable in both formats. If your image is straight off the scanner, it should work. If the metadata of the input file has been damaged by some other program before running through StampFix, the DPI might not get transferred, because StampFix relies on the metadata being in a specific format in order to find the DPI of the input file.

If you find that it's not working on your JPG/JPEG file, please save the input and output files so you can send them to me for testing, and note where the files came from (scanner, camera, photo editing software, etc.)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 06/08/2020   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still employing v1.22
Since downloading, I have processed 684 stamps.
A great piece of software.
Well done you.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 06/08/2020   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I really recommend you give the latest version a try. The drag-and-drop is a game changer.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've just posted a new version with a minor update -- v1.29, available here.

The change is one that's not obvious, so I would encourage you to watch the demo video linked/embedded at the bottom of this post.

A user on one of the forums was having difficulty with a particular image, and upon examining it, I realized that an old issue was still causing problems, so I decided to fix it.

When I first implemented the "Batch from Image" feature in v1.11, I noticed that, on occasion, the threshold setting required to get the green boxes correct didn't always produce the best results when the app then went to rotate and crop the individual stamps. I never fixed it because it appeared to be only a minor inconvenience. As it turns out, it wasn't all that minor to folks with lighter colored black backgrounds.

For example (all images except the animated one, click to enlarge):

Here is the image the user sent me. Notice that with a threshold of 100, the green box isn't drawn correctly for the green stamp in the bottom row.

To get the green box drawn correctly, I had to change the threshold to 75.

Though a threshold setting of 75 got the green boxes drawn correctly, when I went to the Edit Individually screen to preview the output, the rotate/crop produced really bad results.

To fix this, I had to apply a threshold adjustment of 100 to all the stamps on the Edit Individually screen, Apply, then Reprocess.

The only other way around this was to export the images, then re-run them through the app using a Batch from Folder/File process, applying the 100 threshold at that point.

Bottom line, the best threshold setting to draw the green boxes wasn't the best threshold setting for the processing of the individual stamps, and it was forcing the user to take a couple extra steps to get a good result.

So, with v1.29, I added a second threshold setting to the Batch from Image process, so now there's a setting for drawing the boxes, and a separate setting for processing the individual stamps.

The threshold setting at the top right still controls the drawing of the green boxes. The new setting, entitled Fine Tuning Threshold, is the threshold applied when the app processes the individual stamps.

For those who weren't getting accurate results using the Batch from Image process, I hope this will improve your results and/or save you a few steps.

A few additional notes:

1. I removed the Recalculate button on the Batch from Image sidebar. I needed the real estate for the new setting, and a recalculate is already automatically performed every time you change a setting, so it was somewhat extraneous.

2. I had not planned on releasing a new version until I got the metadata working for BMPs and TIFs, but that looks like it may be a while. The BMPs are kicking my butt.

One additional request -- if you are having difficulty getting a good result from an image, please, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!, save the original image and send it to me. The only way I can continue improving the app is getting feedback on what's not working. The solution may just be sending you the correct settings, but it may also be fixing a problem (like this one) with the app.

Demo video for v1.29 is here or hopefully embedded below.

nzmPql1qPY0
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Crikey, I have had the problem since I started,
That was a no brainer for me, I simply loaded the page, drew a carousel around the difficult stamp, and reprocessed.

When we of the ripped, torn, abused, faded, pulled perf society,
realise that your wonderful program, is not made for these ridiculous varieties..

I get bad results 2 out of every 4 stamps, that's expected, very rarely do I get a stamp that the green box does not envelope.
Generally I get 3 or 4 green boxes on the same stamp, but remember I am scanning huge stamps and tiny stamps, I do not discriminate when placing on the platen.

So the result is a I get a perfect processed stamp and perhaps 1 or 2 that just have part images, I just delete those.

In the past week I have processed >5,000 stamps, the routine is smooth and fast, and my digital collection is looking very smart.
I am remaining with the earlier version.
Like ACDSee I like the version that is easy, and I know the key strokes without thinking.

PS: I have abandoned, de-skewing an entire platen,
I like my images (600dpi) up close and personal.
I scan "lines" of stamps at 600, and deskew 6-8 stamps at a time
very small loss of time, with a better overall result.

My computer's memory cannot handle a platen scanned at 600.
Edited by rod222 - 06/17/2020 9:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

If you are still using anything pre-1.25, I really recommend upgrading. The interface is largely the same, but there was a massive improvement in the accuracy of both the green boxes and the end result.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, shall try, but have kept V1.22 in case.

example with dark stamp.

Rather than mess around with settings, just get the original,
make a carousel and "save as", and reprocess.
takes seconds.

Typical multi box, that does not worry me.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

WRT your first image, drop the threshold at top right to about 50-75.

WRT the third, v1.25 reworked the green box algorithm so you don't get the small inner boxes. If a green box is fully contained within another, it doesn't get drawn.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roger that, Postmaster. Thanks.

I guess you mean V1.29, .... V1.25 is non existant
Edited by rod222 - 06/17/2020 11:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

That was changed as of v1.25. The downloads of v1.25 and v1.26 are no longer up because I replaced them with v1.29 as I made bug fixes. I left v1.11 and v1.22 available for download only because those were the last versions before major updates.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right. Understood.
You have been working hard.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have been working hard.

Have to get it in now, before I have to go back to work! I've been trying to make the most of the last 2 months of "quarantine".
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You wanted honest appraisals.
So here goes,
The new version is fabulous regarding the accuracy, gone are my throws to "Picasa" to minutely adjust de skewing due to attached perf chads, pulled perfs etc.
That saves a heap of time.

There still exists an observation with big black ugly Pmks, I do not expect Stampfix to address this, just a fact of life.

I am not as fond of the interface (with big puce blob on entry) as Version 1.21, It is not as pretty.
That interface was beautiful.

For its work output, the best so far, I doubt if it can be improved from here.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There still exists an observation with big black ugly Pmks, I do not expect Stampfix to address this, just a fact of life.

Drop the threshold at upper right down to 50-75, but leave your Fine Tuning Threshold at 100.

Quote:
big puce blob on entry

The Drag/Drop Direct to Save button? I wan't thrilled with that placement, but it needed to be prominent and obvious because for power users, that can be a critical feature. It allows you to drag and drop images and have them go straight to file, which is the fastest way to process.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Win 7 32 bit
I get this Postmaster.
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 119 / Views: 6,280Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05