Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

PMGS Stampfix

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 118 / Views: 6,183Next Topic
Page: of 8
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shall do. Shall post on the morrow.
Yep the progress bar, has been slightly hidden in my top computer screen.
That's sorted.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2248 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

WRT the files showing, please also try changing the file format setting to something other than PNG/JPG/JPEG and seeing if that has any effect.

PNG, JPG, and JPEG files are saved using a different process than BMP and TIF/TIFF due to my efforts to get the DPI set correctly in the metadata of the PNG/JPG/JPEG output files. It may be that the process to save the DPI to the PNG/JPG/JPEG files is causing it.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
WRT the files not showing, can you try it using Windows Explorer instead of ACDSee?

Postmaster,
worked perfectly, so it is an ACDSee issue, that's OK, I can deal with that.

Working with windows explorer Ugh! that was a ghastly experience.

Converted a file to *.bmp
(A scan of 4 stamps)
Drag/drop, using ACDSee, 2 popped up, 2 did not.

PS: ACDSee does have its problems.
Example, if I crop a stamp in ACDSee, and do a "Save As", the program crashes randomly, it may be successful for 2 images, then crashes on the 3rd, this makes me feel my memory (Win 7) is the underlying problem.

Edited by rod222 - 07/04/2020 5:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2248 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

What version of ACDSee are you using, and can you post a shot of what you click to refresh the interface?
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster,
I'll have you leaving your senses soon

I employ ACDSee 32 V2.41, yet I also have ACDSee V6 loaded, and my images show as "ACDSee 6.0 jpeg image"
I use the light version 2.41 as it is unbloated and fast as a wink.

To refresh I just click on any image and hit F5 (see below)

There is a strong chance I'll have a brand new computer, and Win 10 by the end of the year, so worrying about my small observation may be a waste of your valuable time, I have no problems working as is.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2248 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

It's best to never ignore a bug report, as it's frequently a sign of a larger issue. For example, I suspect that the issue you're seeing is related to my efforts to correctly set the DPI within the metadata of saved images. The method that I'm currently using to set the DPI within the metadata of PNG and JPG files isn't an ideal solution, and I suspect it may cause ACDSee to initially think the image is corrupted. This is a common problem with file management programs, if the metadata varies in the slightest from what the software is expecting.

Let me see if I can find a way to duplicate the issue, as that may give me some idea of how to fix it.

Also, when you go shopping for a new computer, don't shortchange the RAM. That's the easiest way to see immediate improvements in performance.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2248 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I was able to replicate the issue with ACDSee 2.41. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be anything I can fix.

If my research is correct, as part of its file management functions, ACDSee keeps a database of files and their associated info. When you copy, delete, etc., a file within ACDSee, the database gets immediately updated. However, if you modify the file structure outside of ACDSee (ex., deleting or moving a file from within Windows Explorer instead of ACDSee, or creating a new file via StampFix), the ACDSee database doesn't get updated until you do it manually or take an action within ACDSee that causes an automatic refresh.

This isn't normally a problem, because almost any action within ACDSee causes an auto-refresh (opening ACDSee, changing folders, etc.). In the past, it likely wasn't noticeable because before drag-and-drop, your workflow was likely such that you were always causing an auto refresh in some way, even without realizing it. However, with drag-and-drop, the ACDSee window is now open at the time of the files being added, and no action has been taken within ACDSee to trigger the auto-refresh. So, without the manual refresh, the files don't show.

Bottom line, it appears to be a function of the way in which ACDSee 2.41 refreshes its contents, and I don't have the ability to affect that.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good news all around, Postmaster.
All is sorted then.
I did know about ACDSee file database, I sometimes had to manually refresh the base, after a few months work.

I have had my computer picked out over the past year
Lenovo Tower, with 32Gb RAM
No idea on the processor, just take what is offered on the basic price.
Should be around $1,500 all up.
(Can you believe they do not include an optical drive in the basic offering)
https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/deskto.../11LV1VDV530

When I get that up and going, I'll probably ditch ACDSee and go exclusively with XYPlorer, it is even faster than ACDSee with its file search and organisation.
Edited by rod222 - 07/05/2020 01:20 am
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sotwuser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this great program. However, the program is still holding onto files after the reset button is clicked. If loading single image, just the last file is held; if using the batch or drag and drop function, then 3 files are held. I have v1.31 installed on a Win7 desktop and a Win10 laptop. Both 64-bit.

Another feature/setting that would be nice is to save to the original file. The program doesn't display the file name and if the new image is good then you have to remember the file name to overwrite the previous file. Maybe include both Save and Save As? I realize most people wouldn't want to do that on batch processing but on single file processing it would be helpful.
Edited by sotwuser - 08/03/2020 05:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2248 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sotwuser,

Thanks for the feedback. I've fixed what was causing the files to be held, so that will be out in the next release.

Including an option to overwrite the original file will take some work. Let me take a look at what's possible.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2248 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sotwuser,

I should also note I'm not sure if you're doing this, but it's not necessary to hit the reset button between images. When you load a new image, either via the load button or drag-and-drop, it automatically releases the previous one. You should really only need to use the reset button if you quickly want to revert to your default settings.
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sotwuser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't necessarily have to automatically overwrite the file but if it could at least populate the file name in the save dialog window. That would allow the user to either overwrite the existing file or create a new file name without having to remember the file name.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2248 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   04:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sotwuser,

It's probably easier to add a straight save function, in addition to the current save function (which is really a "save as" function). The load and save dialog windows are controlled by the operating system, and while they can be customized to some extent, the results can be hit-and-miss depending on what settings the user has changed within their OS. I'll play with it and see what I can come up with.
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 118 / Views: 6,183Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05