Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

PMGS Stampfix

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 163 / Views: 12,155Next Topic
Page: of 11
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
Posted 08/27/2020   08:37 am  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried twice recently to install this (1.31 and now 1.34). It crashes before it can even install (and has virus program/security issues).

Do you have anywhere with special instructions required to install this?

My basic configuration is:Intel Core i7-4790 @3.60GHz, 8GB ram, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro (Version 1903) build 18362.1016

Thanks - Jim
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2561 Posts
Posted 08/27/2020   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

Where in the install process does it crash, and do you get any error messages?

Your anti-virus will flag it because it's not signed with a digital certificate, but it's safe to install.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2561 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've just uploaded a new update for StampFix, v1.45. Here's what's new and why.

Auto Detection Toggle Since a much earlier version (v1.10?), the app has had the ability to process images of a single stamp and images contains multiple stamps (extracting multiple stamp from a single image). The code to process these two types of images is different. Prior to drag and drop being added, the button the user used to load the images told the app which process to run. But, with the addition of drag and drop, there needed to be a way for the app to tell whether to run the single-stamp process or the multiple-stamp process. So, I implemented some code to test each image as it was loaded and auto-detect whether it contained an image of a single stamp or multiple.

As it turns out, this auto-detection wasn't 100% accurate. The auto-detection ID's stamps by looking for edges between light and dark, and certain combinations were misread more than most dark stamp with a heavy cancel, or more commonly, a single postcard or cover would often be detected as a multiple because the app would detect not only the light postcard on a dark background, but also the dark stamp on the light postcard.

So, I added the ability to disable the auto-detection and force the app to process the image being loaded as 1-stamp/postcard/cover per image or a 2+ stamps/postcards/covers per image.

If you know the images you're loading are all 1 item per image, selecting the 1-per image setting will ensure a more accurate result. Same for multiple.

One warning if batch processing multiple files or a folder with images containing both singles and multiples, make sure it's set to Auto-Detect. Otherwise, you might not get accurate results you might still get an accurate result with Multiple selected, but you definitely won't with Single selected.

Loaded The app will now show you the filename of the file that's currently loaded, if any.

Rearranged Buttons because I need to keep the app below a certain size for those using lower screen resolutions, I had to move some things around. Several of the buttons that were previously on the left sidebar are now across the top.

Instructions in conjunction with this release, I've added more instructions to the StampFix page on my website here. There are lots of animated GIFs, so it may be a little slow to load the first time.  In observing comments about the app from various sources, it became obvious that a lot of people were not getting the results they would like out of the app. Inevitably, the issues were easy to fix by tweaking their settings, but most had never watched the tutorial videos and had no understanding of what the individual settings did. They were just using the default settings and then giving up when those settings didn't work well for them. So, I decided to add a written set of instructions with photos in the hopes that maybe this will help those who are having difficulty getting the best results.

It's unfortunate that the app can be complicated at times. The more features the app has, the more complicated it is to operate without understanding what the various settings do. I could make it easier to operate with less customization options, but that would mean removing some of the features.

If you're using the app and not getting the results you want on any image, please don't hesitate to contact me. I can usually fix it by finding the right settings for you, or as happened in this instance WRT the auto-detect, implement a fix and release an improved version.

As always, download is here.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to stay with the old version
Coming up to around 15,000 stamp images, processed by "Stampfix"
Fixing around 600 to 1000 images per month.

I have 1 setting does all, failure rate about 1 in 300
and happy to deskew individually, rather than alter my settings

3rd most used program after XYPlorer, the scanner, then stampfix.

Due for my new donation in January
Edited by rod222 - 12/15/2021 6:55 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 12/20/2021   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster,
Strange
the settings I use for 99% of my stamps do not work here.
Would it be the lines of the precancels?

I have 50+ precancels, so probably need to find a differing setting.

I can email you the 600dpi scan if needs be.

Edited by rod222 - 12/20/2021 03:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2561 Posts
Posted 12/20/2021   03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Can you shoot me the scan and a screenshot of your settings?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2561 Posts
Posted 12/20/2021   03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Yep, it's the precancels throwing off the algorithm. It detects the black lines as edges.

With your current settings, it was drawing several smaller boxes, with the precancel lines as the edges. You just didn't see them because the Min bounding box size was larger than the shortest side of the green boxes.

I managed to find a good initial threshold setting, but the window was really small. 55 worked. Neither 50 nor 60 did, so definitely a very narrow window for success.

You definitely don't want 55 as the fine tuning threshold however, as that makes for an awful final product. The 100 you had set was perfect -- here's the result with the only additional adjustment being a .5 counter-clockwise rotation on the 2 cent stamp.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 12/20/2021   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Postmaster
I am meddling with the threshold for each batch.
Some I can get at 55
Others 52 only etc (printing was partly faded)
But find it easy to adjust, and go back to 100 after the set is deskewed.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 01/05/2022   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Postmaster,
I have a challenge for you, are you up to it?

I have a 1000 or so Meter stamps, I wish to scan and document and mount in a Canadian Album #6

I have scanned a platen at 200dpi, can "stampfix" do anything with them
or do they need "teeth" to process?
Maybe they would end up "wonky" due to the non parallel edges.

Over to you.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2561 Posts
Posted 01/05/2022   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

It should work fine for those. They might require a little more manual adjustment in the end due to the non-square nature of the edge cuts. You can do that in the app by going to Edit Individually, or by whatever method you've been using to make minor adjustments to the end product with your stamp scans.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 01/05/2022   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that's good news Postmaster.
So no overall new setting required, after arriving at one to carousel
them all.
I'll have to jot down the settings (or a screen grab) I do not want to lose the settings I already have.

Picasa 3 is a doddle to do minor deskew adjustments

Thanks for the elan response!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2561 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New version uploaded -- v1.51. This version fixes a bug (a.k.a. a typo) that was rendering the drag and drop inoperable under certain circumstances.

As usual, download is here.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I am currently on Scan #27
It renews every 1000
So, given I use around 4 stamps in each scan,

I deskewed 4000 stamps with "stampfix" in March

Gets an Oscar from me.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   7:32 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What file format does it expect? I used jpg's and it said not the correct file type or something. I could not get it to do ANYTHING and don't understand the interface AT ALL (It doesn't seem to drag or drop anything either).
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What file format does it expect? I

Bear with it !
If you crack it, it is an unbelievable assistance to your image / digital collection.

It accepts *.jpg (what doesn't?)

Stampfix 101
Load the program
introduce the icon, to the lower quick launch bar.
Place 3 stamps on the scanner platen
Draw a carousel around the 3 stamps combined , scan (600dpi)
save it to your fav folder.

hit the stampfix icon
select "image"
a window pops up for your selected folder
select the scan
select "extract to file"

Done! all 3 stamps de-skewed and individual...

I did 85 Ecuador stamps this morning, 35 mins or so?

PS PostmasterGS has a "how to do video" on his website
Only problem I encountered when starting was the settings to
encircle each stamp
Once that is mastered, it's Hi Ho!

Note it will then do 95% of stamps, anything larger, say a postcard needs new settings, I use "picasa" to do all those,
I like to keep my settings permanent

Edited by rod222 - 03/28/2022 9:00 pm
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 163 / Views: 12,155Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05