Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Hinges Be Soaked Off?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,992Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
95 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add yellow_cad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can hinges be removed with the same process as removing paper (soaking)? Thanks, Jim
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
651 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hinges use a "glue" that can often be removed by "heat". Put the stamp face down on a firm surface, rub the hinge remnant with the flat face of your stamp tongs to create friction that will heat the hinge glue, after about 15 seconds try to lift the hinge off.

pdwye72HNDo

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by oldguy - 02/18/2016 4:28 pm
Learn More...
9135 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   4:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a Bill Weiss article on removing hinges on the Stamp Smarter web site. Go to Features|Weiss Library|'How To Remove Hinges From Stamps' at bottom of page.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5366 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Modern hinges, though they are not "peelable" are quite "soakable".

With some of the older ones (pre-1950's?) it is a little different. Most of those will come off with prolonged soaking and more patience. One complicating factor is the original gum remnants on the used stamp. It seems to bond with the hinge gum in some instances and these hinges can be impossible to remove. With the old Austrian stamps from 1890-1910, you are better off not trying to remove the hinge remnants.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/18/2016 4:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1114 Posts
Posted 02/19/2016   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mobilman44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like a lot of folks on this forum, I've soaked an awful lot of stamps to remove hinges and paper. Putting them in a bath of warm water will usually do the trick in 5 or 10 minutes. However, I've come across a couple of "ancient" hinge types that can be difficult. These are the ones that seem to be made of tape material and are rather thick. Thankfully these are few and far between on the old albums I've bought.

The other problem is where glue (other than what came with the stamp or hinge) was used. I've had little luck with this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 02/19/2016   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bookbndrbob wrote: "With the old Austrian stamps from 1890-1910, you are better off not trying to remove the hinge remnants." I think B.B.B.'s advice can apply to any stamps placed in an album during those years; certainly prior; and maybe somewhat after his dates. I've encountered quite a few stamps in old collections that were affixed with paper hinges; not glassine, but actual slim strips of paper (and probably glue). If I could tease off a bit of the paper, I did that. Otherwise left the hinges alone.

Then there is the collection of folders of Latin American countries I bought 20+ years ago where the owner used mostly hinges to attach his/her stamps, but also mixed in adhesive dots of the kind you can get at stationary stores. Those wouldn't soak well and I finally ended up trashing the stamps attached with "dots."
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
667 Posts
Posted 02/21/2016   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a challenge. An old expensive Mint stamp with original gum and a heavy (half of a ) hinge. Should I remove this hinge and how could it be done without damaging the stamp.

I wouldn't want the glue from the stamp to soak thru to the front and stain the design.

Edited by jimjung - 02/21/2016 07:07 am
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a stamp drying book, but I am not sure that it is the best. Any recommendation as to the best drying books? BobbyT
Pillar Of The Community
United States
649 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jimjung—I personally wouldn't take a chance on that stamp which appears to be Canada Scott #7
Valued Member
Canada
187 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would also leave it be. Why gamble when it's not hurting anything?
Learn More...
9135 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   11:30 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
funcity, Casey,
Note that this thread is 6 years old, it was 'bumped' by BobbyT with a question regarding drying books.
Don
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What does "bumped" mean in this context? Did I do something wrong? Or is that like reactivating the topic?

I wanted to add here that I tried a tip I picked up here, or under another topic on this forum, of a way to remove hinges without soaking.

The method is to use the flat end of tongs rubbing the hinge in circular motion to create heat. When the edge of the hinge begins to release, try softly pulling at it with the tongs (flat, not pointed). It worked on 5 out of the 6 stamps on which I tried it.

Thanks for that tip.

BobbyT
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it means the same as reactivated. It refers to the fact that a topic is way down the list in the topics and by responding to it you have bumped it up to the top of the list in recent topics.
Learn More...
9135 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   5:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping a older thread is acceptable, but it helps if you mention that it is bumped.
Don
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that explanation. I hadn't actually noticed that I did that, but will try to be aware in the future.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple of Desert Magic drying books that work well for drying stamps. I place a heavy book on top of them when drying stamps to keep them flat.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,992Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05