Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

He Shot A Stamp Collector !?!?!

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 4,424Next Topic
Page: of 2
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 03/09/2016   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

The nuances you miss when you are away from the hobby a few years ...

John Lennon's Stamp Collection Set to Show at Major Exhibition

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ion-20160301
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 03/09/2016   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to believe that the Smithsonian paid over $40,000 for that album
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7630 Posts
Posted 03/09/2016   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They didn't pay $40,000 for the album, they paid it for the name "John Lennon".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 03/09/2016   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This seems like a good opportunity to post a picture of this one:

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 03/09/2016   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna have to read the Wiki articles on Abkhazia just so's I can wrap my mind around that one. Cheers,

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 03/09/2016   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may already know this, but I'll state it explicitly for the sake of anyone at home who might be puzzled. It's a twist on Marx-Lenin as in Karl Marx and Vladimir Lenin of Communist fame. It's a fantasy issue intended to be humorous. That one was never a valid postal issue and it's purely humor/fantasy.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4500 Posts
Posted 03/09/2016   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 03/09/2016   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... It's a fantasy issue ...

Now that I can wrap my mind around!
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 03/09/2016   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ChickasawStampMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the fantasy issue!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 08/04/2017   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revcollector is right, they paid for the name.

Personally, I think it was a foolish purchase on the Smithsonian's part. I believe they assumed it would draw more people to the museum and any event that it was on display for. It really has very little philatelic value. The PR value was also over estimated.

Side note: The mind boggles at what would have happened if he had shot Yoko instead.

Jeff
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 02/01/2018   6:08 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any other famous musicians collect stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
680 Posts
Posted 02/01/2018   6:27 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Freddie Mercury's childhood album has had some high profile displays.

Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones is rumored to be a stamp collector.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3206 Posts
Posted 02/01/2018   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think most artistes conceal the fact they collect stamps.Industry leaders and wealthy Financial people may be more inclined and be more
open about their collecting penchant.
Collecting old wine bottles,Coins,cars, everyone brags about..
http://lignup.com/collectibles/115-...ilately.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 02/01/2018   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dexter Holland, lead singer for the punk band " The Offspring" is a collector.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 02/01/2018   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd heard that Keith Richards is a collector.
Edited by jamesw - 02/01/2018 10:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 02/01/2018   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sleepy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FDR was a very famous collector, and many kids in the 40's started collecting because of him. I wonder what happened to his collection.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 4,424Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05