Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting German Sputnik 1 Photo Card / Post Card

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,104Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
96 Posts
Posted 03/15/2016   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add itviking to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this in the mail today. I'm not sure whether this counts as a postcard, as the back is blank. It's almost more of a photo-card of some sort, but not exactly a photograph.

It caught my attention first because of its obvious sputnik theme. My collection is flight topical, and sputnik is such an iconic piece of 20th century flight history. Sputnik 1 was also a huge influence on modern history and the escalated development technology. Its was as a direct result of Sputnik 1 that the US created NASA and DARPA (formerly ARPA), two of the organizations responsible for the most dramatic technology advancements of the 20th century, including the development of the Internet.

But then I noticed the cancel. The Berlin cancel features a picture of the Berlin Archenhold observatory, and celebrates the observatories operations since 1896.

1958, the year of this cancel, was also the last year before they closed the observatory for many years, for upgrading. The observatory is famous for being the location of Albert Einstein's first public lecture on The Theory of Relativity.

I love it... complete with simplified and somewhat cheesy Sputnik 1 model.

Btw... does anyone know if its a FDC? I know the stamp was released in Nov 58, but I'm unsure of the date.

Send note to Staff
Edited by itviking - 03/15/2016 10:19 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 03/15/2016   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue date was 7 November 1957.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 03/15/2016   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itviking to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6306 Posts
Posted 03/15/2016   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A privately produced maxi card? If the back is completely blank, it is interesting that no one took credit for it.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 04/07/2016   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itviking to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PostmasterGS - I think you meant Nov 7th 1958, correct?
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 04/07/2016   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No. Issued 7 November 1957.

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/07/2016   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Maxicards (matching stamp, subject, cancel) do not require official issue; in fact, the flood of official maxicards (and other FDoI souvenirs) is a "me, too" by the postal administrations who so indulge.

True maxicard fans might object that your cancel does not exactly match your stamp & subject, but that very strictness is what restricts them (almost entirely) to collecting the official exploitative maxicards.

I prefer self-starter (individual initiative) maxicards, myself, warts & all, but that's me.

Quote:
... Its was as a direct result of Sputnik 1 that the US created NASA ...

The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) was founded 1915.

As they are wont to do, the politicians renamed the agency to show that they were really serious.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 04/11/2016   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itviking to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the confirmation PostmasterGS. Some of the online sources I was checking were saying 1958 and the stamp lists the 1957-58 year, so it seemed logical that it might be 1958. I'm guess people saw the 1958 on the stamp and assumed that must be the right year of release.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 04/11/2016   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itviking to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Technically, the NACA was dissolved and an Act of legislation created NASA; so it wasn't quite as simple as a renaming of an existing organization. But you're right that all of the NACA resources essentially became NASA resources, and so the exact nature of the transformation is probably not worth debating. The official explanation is that NASA was created in 1958.
Edited by itviking - 04/11/2016 1:39 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/11/2016   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Technically, the NACA was dissolved and an Act of legislation created NASA; so it wasn't quite as simple as a renaming of an existing organization ...

Oh, for goodness' sake:

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/naca-tr...50-years-ago ... NACA Transferred Intact to NASA 50 Years Ago

Quote:
NACA Transferred Intact to NASA 50 Years Ago

This article ran in the May 30, 2008 issue of Spaceport News.

By Kay Grinter

NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center

Before there was an American space program or a government agency called the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, there was the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, or the NACA.

On Oct. 1, 1958, the NACA's three laboratories, now renamed research centers, and 8,000 employees were transferred to NASA.

Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 04/12/2016   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itviking to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the horse's mouth...

Quote:
"On 4 October 1957, the Soviet Union launched Sputnik 1, the world‚s first artificial satellite. In 1958, responding to the nations‚ fear of falling behind the Soviets in the utilization and exploration of outer space, Congress passed the National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958, which formed a new civilian space agency, NASA. NACA officially turned over operations to NASA on 1 October 1958. The new agency would be responsible for civilian human, satellite, and robotic space programs, as well as aeronautical research. NACA and its missions and projects were incorporated into the new agency."

http://history.nasa.gov/naca/overview.html

I think everything I've mentioned about NASA, its formation, and the connection to Sputnik have all been confirmed by the above comments from the NASA site itself. So I'm not sure what you're taking exception to. NASA was created in 1958, by a legislative ACT, in part out of concerns over Sputnik and the Soviet space program. It's also clear that it wasn't simply a 'renaming' of NACA to NASA. NASA was created, then NACA and other organizations (such a JPL) were incorporated into NASA.

What am I saying that isn't correct? Why am I deserving of a "Oh, for goodness' sake" ???

Edited by itviking - 04/12/2016 7:42 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,104Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05