Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German East Africa Wuga Provisionals

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 4,454Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1149 Posts
Posted 04/11/2018   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Proud (The Postal History of German East Africa), the initial printings were 2 1/2 heller 100,000, 7 1/2 heller 300,000 and 1 rupee 10,000 stamps as sheets of 100 (10x10). Approximately 10,000 2 1/2 heller, 19,000 7 1/2 heller and 470 1 rupee stamps are known to have survived and went to auction in Berlin in 1921.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1149 Posts
Posted 04/11/2018   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While we're on about Kionga, here are the 1916 provisionals. There are in fact four values (rather than the three I mentioned earlier), comprising the 100r of Lourenco Marques overprinted and further surcharged 1/2c, 1c, 2 1/2c or 5c, in dark blue and light blue shades.
Edited by Tim H - 04/11/2018 5:35 pm
Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
Posted 04/11/2018   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brad905 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tim. I thought I had finally completed one country. Now it turns out there are 8 stamps, not 4 stamps.

Thanks for uploading the images. I will have to check my set to see if it is Blue or Light Blue.

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2665 Posts
Posted 04/11/2018   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice link to Kionga if you don't have it already:
http://www.cfportugal.pt/index.php?...12&Itemid=48

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1149 Posts
Posted 04/12/2018   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf12, thanks very much for the link. I used to have it but lost it with the sudden death of a laptop last year.
Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
Posted 04/12/2018   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brad905 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent Perf12 - thanks so much!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 04/12/2018   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a followup to my post from March 31, 2016, I did track down the Von Lettow-Gorbeck exhibit. Titled: "Paul von Lettow-Gorbeck: The Events and Times that Molded the Man." The exhibitor was Dr. Edwin Andrews. I got the Exhibit book from Exhibitors Press, which is now publishing a series of Grand Award Exhibit books. Dr. Andrews is the current president of the Polonus Polish Philatelic Society, of which I'm a member. He and I corresponded last summer and he told me that the exhibit had been auctioned off some years ago.

I did note that several segments of the Exhibit were auctioned again last September in Kelleher Auction #703, for collections and accumulations.

For Tim H., the 2015 Mundifil catalog for former Portuguese colonies, with Afinsa numbers, does not list shades for the Kionga issue, or the underlying Lourenco Marques issue. However, you are correct in showing two shades. The early Portuguese colonial issues, through the 1914-26 Ceres issues, are "pleasantly notorious" for all sorts of shade varieties.
Edited by Climber Steve - 04/12/2018 2:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
Posted 04/12/2018   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Climber Steve: Does the "Exhibitors Press" have a website?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1149 Posts
Posted 04/12/2018   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve, I hope that doesn't mean there are even more shades. These were hard enough to find in the first place

I'll gave to track down the book. It seems like a very worthwhile read. Thanks for the head-up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 04/12/2018   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't recall details right now, ekbustad, and I'm due on a late afternoon conference call in about 5 minutes; for 90 minutes. Let me check around. Steve
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 04/15/2018   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ekbustad: sorry for delay in answering again. I've been fighting a bad sinus infection for over a week now and have been spending too much time in bed.

There is a web site mentioned in the intro part of the Andrews book: http://exhibitorspress.com . I just tried it and it is not running at this time. Couple of Grands are mentioned, but not the Andrews book and none of the links work. It's possible that this well-intended project may be in limbo for a while. The membership of the APS member who started the Press; Steven Zwillinger; is currently in suspended status. There is a thread about the suspension under APS elsewhere on this site.

I tried to get an e-mail to one of the APS staff to inquire further. However, the APS web site is currently off line, possibly due to some problems encountered in routine maintenance on Friday night. There was a note about the maintenance on the home page. Sorry I can't be of more help. Steve

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29780 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread.
I was working on my East Africa Steiner Pages and came across a scan I took back in 2007 (Possibly from an auction catalogue?)
Google led me here.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29780 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kionga.
In Cavendish Auctions (Sale 584 - May 31 - June 1, 2000) a very nice
Kionga cover was offered.

Lot 1636 KIONGA - THE MOUCHON OVERPRINT ISSUE ON
COVER REGISTERED TO U.S.A.: 1917 (28.April) env. (vertical
creases clear of the stamps & cancels; opened out for display)
to New York with Mouchon overprint 2_c on 100r (pair) and
5c on100r, on the front, all tied by fine grey-lilac ''KIONGA'' c.d.s.,

with black ink (rare thus) m/s ''R/Kionga'' marking nearby; also
franked by Mozambique 1c green War Tax stamp on reverse,
tied by fine purple ''KIONGA'' c.d.s.; transit marks include
L.Marques d.s., reg'n. mark and censor.

It is a spectacular and rare transatlantic usage of these short-lived
stamps.

Mr. Blair Stannard Canada.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29780 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   04:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps from a drain.
Scan before I included accreditation details
Probably from "Australian Stamp Monthly" circa 1974
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2256 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   04:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there anything you don't have in your files, Rod?!?

In reviewing this thread, I realized that I never posted updates as I got additional issues. I now have all the major issues listed by Michel, including the different se-tenant combinations. Here they are on the album pages.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 4,454Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05