Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Telegram Postally Sent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampcrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Obviously I'm clueless on this one. Why not just send it via normal mail? Or, if your sending a telegram, why the stamp and postmark?
I think I'm having brain lock.
Hoping someone can school me on this use.

I believe the postmark is Princeton.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm only guessing here, but I imagine that this message was received from overseas, transcribed in letter form, and then mailed. This way one gained a little bit of time and saved money. (I imagine telegrams being hand-delivered outside the postal service were expensive.)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   9:01 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sender of the telegram message might be in some place like California or even overseas. It still would have been quicker to send the telegram to an office close to the receiver and then have the message mailed from there compared to having a letter sent by ship from say England.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27470 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could it not just be a "make up" fee, for higher telegram charges?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6569 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can not read the cancel. Does this cable have a date? Maybe this was at a time that some folks did not have a telephone yet? ( Hard to imagine this day and age when even kindergardeners have a cellphone! )

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good question, Peter!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3862 Posts
Posted 04/01/2016   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Why not just send it via normal mail? ...

Normal mail over what distance?

This combination by itself gives you Paris (France) or Paris (Texas) to Connecticut in minutes, with same day delivery by post ... but we assume too much.

I suspect that what you have is the hardcopy that was sent as a courtesy after the message was delivered by phone, or as a backup because the phone call had not yet been successfully completed.

I came in at the very end of telegrams, but I remember having the option of deliver-by-hand (pricey, slower, and rare) versus deliver-by-local-phone-call (cheaper, often faster).

One deciding factor would be the venue of the target. To reach someone at home is one thing. But people did, for example, send a telegram to The Happy Couple to be read at the reception, which required hand delivery ... cheaper than a plane ticket, eh?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 04/01/2016   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wbrob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Ikey is on to it. As a youngster, in the 1950s, I saw my folks receive telegrams by mail. It was a 'big deal' and rare occasion to get them. I remember one was a birthday message. The percentage of covers with contents saved is probably <.01%
Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 04/01/2016   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I agree with wbrob and IkeyPikey. If the receipant had a phone, the message would normally be delivered by phone and the hardcopy mailed. If no phone, it might be mailed locally or delivered by hand. Yesteryears version of e-mail.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2491 Posts
Posted 04/02/2016   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for enlightening me to some of the possibilities. Interesting stuff.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   02:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going to bump this subject up...ran across this similar kind of mailed telegram today. It appears to have left Chetopa Kansas at 5PM on November 16, 1907 and arrived in Coffeeville Kansas at 7:30PM the same day. The distance between the two cities is about 30 miles. https://www.distancebetweencities.n...opa_ks/route I wonder if there wasn't a telegraph line between the two cities at the time? I assume the card went by train but that is pure speculation.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1907 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   04:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The telegraph post card has nothing to do with a telegraph company. It has no company name, for one. This is a novelty-type card.

The basic message is a canned one; there might have been several to choose from. If you examine it closely, the "message" in large print will probably prove to be printed. Note the handwriting is different from the added message at lower left and addressing on the reverse.
Edited by hy-brasil - 06/10/2019 04:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
515 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Thanks for your comments hy-brasil.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, likely a novelty card on closer examination...and thanks for your comments.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05