Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

20c Virginia Apgar Tagging

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 4,855Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 05/10/2016   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally finished reading the USSN article. The author claims that both 2179 & 2179a use low gloss gum, but that the gum on 2179a is a bit less glossy, with more of a satin finish. After looking over my stash of Apgars, I've decided that any difference in the gum between 2179 & 2179a is too subtle for my aging eyes. The gum on 2179b though is an entirely different story. It exhibits a higher gloss than the other two ... I actually think I can now id a mint 2179b by gum alone.
Angore: I have heard much the same as you have ... the consensus seems to be that 2179b (printed on the Epikos press) is definitely a different variety. That it can be identified by plate # alone is another point in its favor. On the other hand, 2179 & 2179a, while they were undoubtedly printed at slightly different points in time, seem to have only superficial differences at best.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
Posted 10/30/2018   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In reviewing various US tagged stamp candidates to post on the tagging DB I revisited the challenges around identifying 2179, 2179a & 2179b. Based on going through various single and plate blocks on information found here and elsewhere I believe there are 4, possibly 5 distinct varieties. I say 4 or 5 because it depends on how you want to split hairs around one of the varieties. Note I posted information along with tagged and untagged images at:

http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...ingView.html

Listed below are the key discriminators (color, gum, tagging & paper type under LW) I believe for each type/variety. I am going to work in reverse order from 2179b -2179 to start with simplest first:

Variety 4 (2179b) - key discriminators are tagging which is much grainier and gum which is shinier when compared to other varieties. For all other varieties, the tagging and gum looks essentially the same. Color alone should not be used as a discriminator as will hopefully become clear further below.

Variety 3 (2179a) – key discriminator for this one is ink color as the orange-brown color is fairly distinct compared against the others. Tagging is a smooth fine grain and paper is low-medium fluorescent with both of these two characteristic to close to the 2179 varieties to discriminate. Paper fluorescence appears somewhat less than 2179 but not enough based on samples I have seen to be a clear discriminator.

Variety 2 (2179) – key discriminator is paper type which is "Dead" under LW. I not seen to date any 2179a or 2179b on Dead paper. Tagging is a smooth fine grain and paper is medium fluorescent. Ink color appears much lighter when compared against 2179b almost like an under inked version of 2179b. P# 2 exhibits this variety based on what I have seen.

Variety 1 (2179) – Same as variety 2 except paper is medium fluorescent under LW. The difference in paper is quite distinct between Variety 2 and Variety 1. P# 2 also exhibits this variety.

Variety 0 (2179) – This is the wildcard potential 5th variety and can cause the most confusion if ink color along is used for discrimination. Tagging is a smooth fine grain and paper is medium fluorescent, same as Variety 1 – 2. Color of the ink is the challenge and where confusion can arise. Comparing the ink color of this version against 2179b they appear virtually the same to me. From my perspective, this variety seems to a heavier inking, which is why on the tagging DB I didn't break it out separately. The ink stands more proud from the surface of the stamp with a rounded looking surface. If you look closely at the ink of Varieties 1 or 2 you will see random areas where the ink appears thicker and rounded similar to this type. If splitting hairs and you want an additional variety you could call it a bright red-brown variety of 2179. P# 1 exhibits this variety again based on what I have seen.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 703bobw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was consensus ever reached on how to best determine the 2179, 2179a, and 2179b varieties of the Virginia Apgar stamps. I am collecting plate blocks of this series and definitely have 2 of the three. I have a purported 2179a (orange brown) coming, but would like to know how to make sure it is the real McCoy. Any hints would be appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed a typo for Variety 2. Second sentence is incorrect. It should just say "Tagging is smooth fine grain.". Paper is Dead as initially stated not medium fluorescent. I believe my descriptions accurately describes the varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3148 Posts
Posted 04/24/2019   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was never satisfied. It would have been good that the three plates used corresponded with the 3 varieties but they do not.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 04/24/2019   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
703BOBW: Can't help with 2179a … but, Durland to the contrary, I still believe all 2179b are from plate B3. And all B3 plates are 2179b. But the 2016 Durland still has B3 as a plate number for both 2179a & 2179b. FWIW, I contacted a dealer who specializes in modern U.S. varieties & he agreed with my B3 premise. Presumably, he has seen more Apgars than most of us.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 4,855Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05