Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada's Parliament - Before The Fire Destroyed The Centre Block

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,697Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add CanadaStamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Library remains intact, with the Centre Block replaced long ago.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2013 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add area66 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks for the history lesson, but you are completely wrong; the photo you show is the actual parliament, the one before the 1916 fire have 1 less story and the tower was way way lower and without the " gargouille " gargoyle in the English translation they make in time .... and no clock .....

Actually the old photo I show was before they redo the roof of the tower , here the look of the parliament before the fire

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by area66 - 04/17/2016 11:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/18/2016   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The library survived the fire virtually unscathed, and remains the only original part of the buildings as they were before the fire.

A few years ago the entire roof of the library was removed, the building was restored and the roof replaced. Pretty amazing feat.

...um, and when I say 'replaced' I just mean it was put back on, though with new copper cladding.
Edited by jamesw - 04/18/2016 9:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/18/2016   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, was it that long ago? We were in Ottawa during the repairs as well, visiting my brother. Time flies, that's for sure!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 04/19/2016   03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
araea66 - Many Thanks! I posted the wrong card.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,697Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05