Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Lockheed Electra

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 04/25/2016   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Lockheed Electra was my first 'ride'.

My mother needed to recuperate after an illness, and I was old enough to travel, so off to Miami we went ... in the Spring of 1961.

If memory serves, it was on the return trip that the ?Eastern Airlines pilot proudly announced that we were flying on the new Lockheed Electra ... perhaps to settle nerves during a storm?

Well, my mother - who read the New York Times every day - was beside herself because these planes were dropping like flies.

From Harro Rantor's Aviation Safety Database:

- 2356 Tue 3 February 1959 total loss (65 dead) on approach (hit the water) at La Guardia Airport NYC (LGA) ... <10 miles from home

- 0800 Wed 14 September 1960 total loss on approach (hit the berm) at La Guardia Airport NYC (LGA) ... still <10 miles from home

- other 'lost hull events': 29-SEP-1959, 17-MAR-1960, 19-JUL-1960, 04-OCT-1960 ...

Whew! We made it alive!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockh...-188_Electra ... reports the first flight as 06 December 1957

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-3_Orion ... I did not know that the P-3 Orion patrol aircraft was an Electra 'variant'

Those were the days when prices on each route were fixed by the CAB (Civil Aeronautics Board), so the airlines competed on the extras: I remember postcards & decks of playing cards, myself, but have none to show for it :(

Sadly for the collector, The Golden Age of Commercial Aviation coincided neatly with The Grubby Age of the Cruddy Chromes, so the production value of the cards is usually disappointing at best.

Still, it was my first ride, and here it is.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05