Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Registered Mail from Latvia...what Registered mail? USPS in action.  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 05/03/2016   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I just received this today. Mailed Registered from Latvia. The cover was never entered as Registered mail by USPS in New York and made it thru Chicago and Milwaukee with no one catching it and my carrier didn't want to fill out the extra paperwork. The postcard below was a purchased on eBay from a seller in Latvia. Unfortunately not postally used but I collect New Year postcards and especially ones with pigs so it was an easy buy.

Send note to Staff
Edited by John Freibergs - 05/03/2016 10:58 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2173 Posts
Posted 05/03/2016   11:52 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's very common in the U.S. to received registered mail these days without signing for it. Registered mail isn't what it use to be, but it's still expensive to send from the U.S. The above rate is very, very cheap for registered mail.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 05/03/2016   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The low fee suggests that registered service was available only within Latvia and the piece was handled as domestic first class mail upon entering the US. The USPS International Mail Manual, page 227, suggests the same.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals...full/imm.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
United States
912 Posts
Posted 05/03/2016   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Freibergs, those pigs would not be celebrating New Year's Day in the South Carolina, where the traditional dish is pork, black eyed peas and collard greens.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 05/03/2016   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to do some research on Latvian regulations when I have some time. I would think the clerk would have noticed the USA address though when the envelope was submitted for Registry. But then again maybe the error started in Latvia. I would've made a complaint on the USPS website, but my carrier is retiring in 5 months after 25 some years on the route and I didn't think he needed the added headache.

Bookbndrbob....I can understand that. Apparently pigs are a symbol that runs across many New Year postcards of the period. Filed away for next winter is a post to the site with some other examples from my collection. I just liked the humor in this postcard.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 05/03/2016   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just looked the price up on the Latvijas Pasts website and 2.13 Euros is what they give for a 2 gram letter to the USA. So I guess after that it's in USPS's hands.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1817 Posts
Posted 05/03/2016   3:36 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're actually lucky it wasn't stolen. The registration sticker is an advertisement that there's something potentially valuable inside, but once it hits the US, it's no longer treated as registered mail. It's a mail thief's dream as a result. I've lost at least 3 or 4 registered shipments from Germany just in the last 18 months or so because of this. They make it as far as NYC and then no further. I've basically stopped ordering anything (relatively) expensive from Germany because I figure there's a better than even chance it'll never make it to me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
703 Posts
Posted 05/03/2016   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to echo Artful's comments. I, too, learned the hard way that foreign registered mail is placed in the regular mail stream in the US. Even bringing it to the attention of my Congressvermin did no good.

When I buy something from Germany, I tell the seller to send it regular mail; I'll take the hit for any loss. I've never lost a "regular" letter yet. Registered mail from Germany seems to have a "steal me" sticker on it. It almost never makes it past New York.

Dan

I've seen it all, heard it all, done it all; I just can't remember it all.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 05/03/2016   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been the case for a number of years the registered mail items coming from other countries are just put in the normal first-class mail stream. However, the PO is SUPPOSED to get a signature upon delivery, per section 752.14 of the USPS International Mail Manual http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc7_015.htm#ep29431.

I once tracked down the notice in the Federal Register that announced this change, and it said that this was in accordance to UPU regulations. So I would think that pretty much every country does the same. Consider that the originating country is responsible for any losses, not the delivering country. So there is little incentive for countries to worry much over registered mail coming from other countries.

However, the situation may be worse for registered mail coming in to the US. I note that Canada charges $20 for a registered letter to most countries. But to the US one must use the Xpresspost-USA service, for a minimum of $26.15. Seems that they lack confidence in the USPS.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 05/04/2016   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

When I was a letter carrier, more than thirty years ago, USPS was viciously disciplined about getting signatures, step-by-step, for Registered Mail ... of US origin.

Foreign stuff might show-up in the regular mail stream, uncounted & unregistered and, if you pointed this out to a supervisor, you were told that it was your lucky day, because you could just toss that one in the recipient's mailbox, sans receipt.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 05/04/2016   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad it made it here. One from the Netherlands a month back wasn't so lucky. I had heard about sending something Registered was putting a target on the envelope but always thought of that for sending something overseas. Not coming this way. So much for trying to accommodate eBay's proof of mailing and receipt edict!
Pillar Of The Community
2161 Posts
Posted 05/04/2016   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had things mailed from other countries with trace numbers from that country such as registered mail, EMS, etc. However, the tracing number stops and disappears once it enters another country. One would think that such mail should be at least traced by a UPU computerized central tracing center until it gets delivered.
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 05/04/2016   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YefimR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also noticed that, in most cases, the tracing number stops and disappears once it enters another country. This happens when USPS is checked from the public channel. But if the USPS clerk in Post Office is asked to trace the particular Registered ID on their internal system - they always will give the full trace with the dates and times.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
18981 Posts
Posted 12/30/2016   05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received a Sweet Pea (Pukerzirnis) today, from beautiful Gelgava.
I did not have to sign, it was in my PO Box.

Nice cover, lovely stamp, good postmark, Rainforest approved paper.
Just like the old days.

Lovely Jelgava / Jelgavas.

Edited by rod222 - 12/30/2016 06:04 am
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 12/30/2016   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what rules USPS follows on Registered Mail from Europe. Since the post I have received letters that I've signed for and letters just left in my mail box. Though I will admit the ones I've signed for I've been waiting at the door when the carrier delivered the mail. Usually the mail from Latvia makes it fine. The only shipment in recent memory that didn't make it was from the Netherlands. Go figure.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
75 Posts
Posted 12/30/2016   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PekingDuckDog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've received probably 25 registered letters from various Balkan nations in the last 6 months and had to sign for every one. I have almost everything sent to my PO box in town, which might make a difference.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Old Stamp Collection Book
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  National Surety and us senate air mail
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Australia Post Get It Very Wrong.
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  International Postage Stamp For Sale
  Hairline in my Unitrade 138
  Fall River Philatelic Society STAMP SHOW, Saturday August 19, 2017 10AM-5PM

Globes
  Classifying Official/Penalty Envelopes
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Cogwheels
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  ship stamps
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Lock Seals?
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Regency Stamps is just the latest in a long line of philatelic carpetbaggers and scalawags ...
  Private Mailing Card Act of May 19, 1898
  Booklet Pairs on Sweden Complicates Things
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  need help to find value and if are good or rares stamps
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Lighthouses on Stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05