Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Admiral Stamp Paper Thickness

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,830Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
3494 Posts
Posted 05/16/2016   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jogil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know of a source for the paper thickness of Canada Admiral stamps? I have measured the ones that I have and they are around 0.004" thick.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
Posted 05/16/2016   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamporator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jogil,

Have you checked The Admiral Issue of Canada book by Marler?

A quick 'look-see' provides the following statement concerning Scott 107 thin paper variety, and on Page 36 "Though the 'thin paper' seems thin....the author...found that the thickness ranged between 0.0028 and 0.0036 inch." Also on the same page in reference to Scott 111 issues printed in 1912 he states thicknesses of 0.0024 and 0.0030 inch and in later years was 0.0030 to 0.0038"

There is a wealth of information on the Admiral series in this book that you should either purchase or get from your local library.

- stamporator -
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3494 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stamporator: I did see this information in this book, but I found my measurements of 104 to be different (0.004"). Thanks.
Edited by jogil - 05/17/2016 07:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
667 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked my Bogg's (Page 376) and it says the paper for the Admirals is between .0038 and .0045 so .0040 is right in there.
Edited by jimjung - 05/17/2016 06:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
3494 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jimjung: Thanks for the Boggs information. Even though Marler is the authority on Admiral stamps, sometimes one has to check other sources especially when one gets different results.
Edited by jogil - 05/17/2016 07:31 am
Valued Member
Canada
363 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   10:52 am  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jogil. When I go to the Greene Foundation tomorrow, I will check the thickness on an assortment of Admirals in the reference collection. We have a digital micrometer with 5 decimal accuracy (+ / - 2 one hundred thousands of an inch). Although I have never measured, I suspect there will be a difference between the wet and dry printings due to the method of applying the gum. I will post the results a.s.a.p.
GJP
Pillar Of The Community
3494 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gportch: Thank You.
Pillar Of The Community
3494 Posts
Posted 06/28/2017   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone measured the paper thickness of their Admiral stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1449 Posts
Posted 06/28/2017   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil
though I have the reference book by Marter, I am not equipped to measure stamp thickness.....must be fun and thanks for your info !
Rene
Pillar Of The Community
7615 Posts
Posted 07/03/2017   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil....I am almost started on building a device and adapt my software to measure stamp paper thickness...if I get time to build if and get it to work...I will contact you.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
3494 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would appear that paper thickness below 0.0038" may be thinner and above 0.0038" may be thicker.
Learn More...
9501 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   08:41 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Paper properties dependent on thickness are likely to be substantially in error when thickness values are obtained with standard micrometers...

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fullt.../a038927.pdf

Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,830Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05