Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott # 1203 Variation (1962 Dag Hammarskjold Issue)

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 17,924Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/27/2012   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd update this thread with a question.

While most collectors will know of the story behind this stamp and the US intentionally printing the "inverted background" so as to deliberately devalue the original "error", I was reading a recent commentary suggesting that as a result of that fiasco, "a court decision ruled this act was illegal..."

Does anyone know the story behind that court decision? Did it apply only to that stamp issue? In other words, if the USPS were to inadvertently issue stamps today with a known error, would that court ruling prohibit them from intentionally flooding the market with an "error" stamp so as to devalue the original mistake?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wt1 - 11/27/2012 12:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1610 Posts
Posted 11/27/2012   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't they do just that with the Legends of The West stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 11/27/2012   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall that the Legends of the West sheet was reprinted with the error and the resulting sheets were sold by a lottery system to collectors. (right???)
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/27/2012   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I recall that the Legends of the West sheet was reprinted with the error and the resulting sheets were sold by a lottery system to collectors. (right???)

Correct. And in that case, they did not "flood the market" with the error, but rather they sold a limited number by lottery, so a lot of collectors who wanted them still missed out. Today, they still command a sizable premium over the non-error variety.

It's a bit of a different situation for the Dag Hammarskjold issue, though. In that case, the error was issued in such quantities readily available to anyone, so as to devalue any philatelic premium placed on it.

Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps the circumstances surrounding the Legends of the West error was decided upon based on the lessons (or legal findings) learned by the earlier Dag Hammarskjold error.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 06/11/2018   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The post office did not "reprint" Legends of the West error sheets; they sold off some of the inventory that was withdrawn from sale.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
678 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, so I have been moving along with my US album - I am truly enjoying it...but one thing that annoys me :) is I always seem to only be missing one or two from some of the pages/sets.

I was going through another pile and I think I may have the inverted Dag Hammarskjold after all - so annoyed that I could not complete that page a couple days ago. Can you confirm that I am correct? I see that white bar next to the building and the yellow over the margin.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
478 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, the ones you show with the white bar next the UN building are the invert.
To make matters just a little more complicated, when the white bar is at the right of the vertical part of the building and directly over top the roof, that is the most common variety of the invert printing.
The first vertical column of the sheet was different, with white all around the building.

I'll fish out my example of the first column variety and scan in in a couple minutes and edit it in for you.

Here it is. So on a full sheet of the invert, 10 stamps looked like the following. and 40 looked like yours. There's analysis of this at length on the first page of this thread. A couple months ago a dealer mailing me a purchase covered the envelope with inverts, including this one. Fun.

Edited by jleb1979 - 02/02/2020 3:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1233 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is the Hammarskjold invert.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
678 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome thank you for the confirmation:)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
678 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent information jleb1979 I had not read about the "10" stamps. Yes it is fun :)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 17,924Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05