Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Donkey-schreck, Rodney-fender Cancellations

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
206 Posts
Posted 05/20/2016   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are some interesting cancellations from the early 2000's. I believe the postmarks were used around 2003-05. I also have some covers with the same but particularly went for the SON with both characters pictured. Anyone else have any interest or some other examples to share? I thought the one with Frankenstein was cool. Woops, I guess I inverted the image, but you get the idea
Send note to Staff
Edited by stampwolf - 05/20/2016 2:01 pm

Valued Member
125 Posts
Posted 05/25/2016   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Were these the first commercial-advertising-based cancellations? They look much better than the sprayed-on Rudolph Reindeer ones.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6705 Posts
Posted 05/25/2016   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf10, I got some of these and no, I do not believe they are spray on. At least the ones I have are not.

Peter
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
Posted 05/28/2016   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not "spray on". I believe they were applied right before that era happened. Cheers! Wolf-==-
Valued Member
125 Posts
Posted 05/29/2016   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 2003 there were also Dr Seuss, Cat in the Hat holiday greeting cancels.
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   10:49 am  Show Profile Check ggreve's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ggreve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodney Fender:

This a Rodney Fender example:

I assume this stamp and cancel are common. If not, please let me know.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28758 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
661 Posts
Posted 04/19/2018   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stampwolf,

I thought I had several of these on cover, but I only found one Shrek on cover for you. Found a few Shreks on individual stamps. Found a couple of the Rodney Fender on individual stamps. Unfortunately the Rodney Fender character is on the left side of the cancel device so it is just the text portion that appears on the stamps I have.
I also found that I have a few covers with a pretty nifty Cat in the Hat cancel if you are interested in that cancel.
Will try to make a scan tomorrow, but no promises......

Dave N.
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
Posted 04/19/2018   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found 115 Shrek covers and 3 Rodney-Fender covers with 37 cent flags, several of both types in a bag of on paper definatives including a bunch of 37 cent flags. None have been PNCs. Still need to look through the box of commemoratives on cover, duplicate used singles, and the small assortment of PNCs that I have in some stock book. I will send a scan or photo this weekend. Let me know if you want any of the already found stuff. Thanks.

P.S. Anyone doing a research project on 37 cent flags? I know where you can get a bunch of them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's Shrek on a postcard with a 23 cent coil Scott U.S. #3617.

Valued Member
125 Posts
Posted 02/21/2020   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In an era when USPS needs more funds, I'd expect ad-based cancels to be a sweet source of revenue. Maybe the next generation of spray-ons will have the resolution to make readable marks.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05