Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Taking Stamps Off The Paper?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

0 Posts
Posted 06/03/2016   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Asumel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I have been accumulating ( I probably wouldn't use the word collecting) Stamp for a long time now and have got quite a few. None of them are rare or particularly valuable ( at least monetarily) they have just been picked up from placed I have lived, or others have lived or visited. all have been used.
So my question Is, I am looking to do something with them, just for my personal memories and such and wondered how do I get them off the paper? If at all?

I imagine there might be a few opinions on the topic, but I am just looking to keep them inn a book for my own memories, not for any value or such.

Thanks In advance.
A
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1271 Posts
Posted 06/03/2016   10:17 am  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You will get many answers here about soaking but I will answer one other area. If they are still on envelopes, save the entire envelope. It is more valuable that way. If the stamp is only on a small piece of paper, do not soak it off if there is a clear cancellation that extends onto the paper. Also more valuable maybe - but certainly better for memories.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
627 Posts
Posted 06/03/2016   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jim6092252 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK well we now have 2 types when it comes to removing, the older soakable stamps and the newer self stick stamps and there has been topics on how to remove both.
If I get older letters I would leave as a whole cover. If the cover is not worth saving as a whole then I decide if I like the cancel and if so I cut the whole corner.
I get a lot that are out of time frame such as you buy something on eBay and the sell ships with stamps you want to save but there is nothing historical about the cover. Soaking or removal of newer self sticks you have to decide if its worth the time and effort to remove them. if so do it and if not just store on paper.
What I try to remember is older stuff you cant turn it back into a cover if you remove it and we who have them are in charge of their care for the next generation
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 01/24/2019   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ciffic2112 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
examples below would they be better intact with the (2) oversized envelopes and (1) on paper w/cancelation? or removed

Valued Member
103 Posts
Posted 01/24/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, and I'm no expert, I wouldn't soak any of those stamps off but keep the envelopes intact as they have a lot more interest that way than as removed. That Chicago Motor Club envelope is really cool looking!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
634 Posts
Posted 01/24/2019   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on what you are trying to do ... "just for my personal memories and such and wondered how do I get them off the paper? If at all?" You don't provide enough info as to your intended use to allow a good clear answer to your question ... we are just guessing.

If this is a scrapbook exercise then I would not even bother to take them off the paper.

Maybe the stamp and its associated cancel are more meaningful than just the stamp itself; or as others have mentioned... the whole envelop or wrapper might be more useful than the specific stamp.

Are you writing a personal history and going to use the stamps as illustrations? Just clip around the stamp (stamp and cancel) and mount in the appropriate dialogue space.
Edited by oldguy - 01/24/2019 4:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 01/24/2019   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ciffic2112 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advice,both of you have given me a better insight of what to do.

I think the Chicago Motor Club envelop looks cool too!! the other is from Zenith Radio Corporation. I would keep it intact also. both of these envelops came from my Grandfather to my Mom now to me.

They were completely filled with regular size stamped envelopes and postcards from all over the world ranging from 1916 - 1978 Never opened from the day my Grandfather closed it last 1979 until now. They do have history to me. I did not remove the stamps from the postcards and envelopes.

I did have a large number of stamps on small pieces paper cut from the envelope's with cancellations that I removed by soaking in water via best seeming instructions from the internet I'm glad I didn't do these.

I have never seen large envelope covers before,so I did not know if they should be saved or not,or,if they would seem awkward on display. I learned what matters is how I feel about them, and how I would like to present them. I just did not want to ruin something that should not

In this case I should not. Thank you again
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05