Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Slogan Cancel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

682 Posts
Posted 07/09/2016   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Glenn Estus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a slogan cancel from Montpelier, VT that I can't completely read. I assume it was part of a national program:

PART OF ???? / FOR S???? / ARMY DAY

I think the S???? may be SALVATION
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1051 Posts
Posted 07/09/2016   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Photo?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2469 Posts
Posted 07/09/2016   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moe Luff's "United States Postal Slogan Cancel Catalog" lists slogan 4750 used in 52 cities in 1949 as:
PART OF THE TEAM FOR SECURITY ARMY DAY, APRIL 6

and the only example I seem to have of it, from a Universal machine, although Luff also lists it used from the International machines.

Edited by John Becker - 07/09/2016 08:47 am
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 07/09/2016   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found an example of this slogan cancel in a stamp accumulation. The original collector had an envelope containing multiples of this stamp.

There are at least 20 more envelopes full of stamps I haven't even looked at. I figure the contents of these envelopes are what most collectors would call kiloware.

Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a slogan cancel (I'll post a picture shortly) the slogan is "Erase T.B. X-Ray your chest precaution is best". IT's from South Norwalk, Conn. in 1951. I cannot find anything about this anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas?
Pillar Of The Community
2469 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1950s were a time of many health-related slogan cancels. Moe Luff's "United States Postal Slogan Cancel Catalog" Revised Ed 1975, has the following listing on page 42:

Here is a collector sent-for example from Norwalk:

So despite being used at only Norwalk/South Norwalk, it would be common due to its span of use throughout the 1950s and collector mail on the moderately high-speed International and Universal canceling machines of that era.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John. I love the slogan cancels and learning about them. You are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate it!!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05