Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of France : By Page.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   04:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Vayolene,
I have placed your commentary below the Postmarks page.

I was quite irritated by being unable to find where the stamps belonged,
doesn't happen often these days.
Took me back to my early collecting days, where everything looked a puzzle.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1976 Europa.

1976 Moncey.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grande Consommation paper (GC Paper)

GC Paper Example Yvert Tellier #1194
Pillar Of The Community
France
1054 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Vichy too they played "elegant" sports.

The full text (in english!) is :
Vichy France
Queen of Spas
Golf Tennis Polo
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
498 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the France bug bit me. A little trial and error, and I got album pages printed up to 1940 - worked out well and I found a beautiful binder really inexpensive. I also decided to try clear mounts - and yes, I love them. I will use those for my Mexico album too and finish out the black split backs for my US stuff. I got excited and wanted to share - only a few per page so far, but would love to keep sharing as I fill out more. :)

Edited by Mrita75 - 02/26/2020 11:39 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work Nora.
Impressed you have both the Descartes as mint.
I have not attempted the 1897 Page as yet,
working from Scott and Yvert & Tellier
Leaving the hard stuff till last.............

I soak my early France, because they come very grungy, (up to 4 hinges on the back) and that takes time.

If you want to leave a suitable post address, you are welcome to my duplicates, but may be some weeks yet, I like to segregate the Pmks.
Just leave a message through SCF.
Edited by rod222 - 02/27/2020 12:50 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
498 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rod. I mean I Love my Mexico Stamps - but ugh it has been two weeks and have not received my album from the dealer....so France has lured me away - ha! for now.

Anyhow, I learned what quadrille paper is today (which was fun) and I learned that there are sooooo many variations of the sowers and the peace and commerce - I have a ton to learn. But ugh what beautiful stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2516 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Descartes stamp error.
In 1937 the French post decided to honor Descartes.The minister of the post Robrert Jardillier decided it would be a 90c commemorative.
The stamp was printed and on the 19 & 20 of may the stamps were issued.
a total of 692,000 stamps were sent to post offices around France.One
example was shown to the press.Immeadiat scandal !
Wording error 'discours sur la methode' instead of 'discours de la methode'.
The minister immeadiatly telegraphs the regional an departmental post offices and orders them to withdraw the stamps and send them back to Paris.
Almost the total number of stamps were returned with exception of some stamps in the department of the Finistère and the Indre.
In the Indre 38 stamps were sold in the post office of Issoudin a 1 stamp in the post office of Vatan.The Issoudin stamps were recuperated but the single stamp in Vatan.(Must of been some kind of detective work tracking down the buyers ?).
In the Finistère (Brest) things were more complicated.100 stamps were sold to seamen of the Argentinian war ship 'Comodore Rivadavia'anchored in the port.The telegram arriving late to Brest ,the post office had already sold the stamps.
(Apparently this lot of 100 stamps were not recuperated by the French authorities.Also some were used and on mail sent by the Argentinians.If any covers exist with the early postmark 'Brest 19 or 20 May 1937 they would be great rarities! A little further on you will understand why.)
Of the 692,000 stamps issued, only 131 were not returned to the post office.
The minister Jardillier did not want to be responsible for any potential speculating and so decided to re-issue the error stamp with the corrected stamp together.
The stamp(or stamps) was again re-issued on the 10 june in Paris and 11 june in the rest of France.
The stamp error version was reprinted this time at 4;400,000 examples !
The correct version at 5,000,000 examples.
The error stamp although popular with collectors is valued less than the corrected version !
One can imagine if 2 or 3 days of more hesitation by the minister ;the outcome would of been different with hundreds of error stamps in circulation.

Edited by perf12 - 02/27/2020 2:55 pm
Valued Member
100 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those pages look very good Nrita75. It is great to see you enjoy your stamps so much.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Type "Blanc" Study
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity.
Yvert & Tellier # 108D

Sc#110 Types l and ll Identification.
Note small line variation after "E" of Francaise.

Type Blanc Mutilated Stationery.
New Year's Cancel Number 118 (Post Office Location)
Further to Nigel's contribution
https://www.marcophilie.org/mar-bq.html br /
This postmark is used in offices in neighborhoods in Paris. It consists of a circle in the center of which is a number which is that of the district office. It is affixed to the letter and very rarely cancels the postage stamp except for "New Year's Day ". It gradually disappears after 1900
Edited by rod222 - 02/27/2020 3:37 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to Perf 12 for Descartes Commentary.
Saved.
Sc#330 and 331 Detail. Rene Descartes by Frans Hals
Stamps free gift from Mr. Michael Meadowcroft Circa 2010

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
498 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you and great info on Descartes stamps. working on a few more pages this evening. hope all are well.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sc#109 Types l and ll and Colour Variations.
(Type ID as before in this thread)

Sc#113 Types l and ll and Colour Variations.

If any members have a scan of example Sc#113 Type 1A
I would very much like to see it.
None in my 40 or so 5c examples.
Edited by rod222 - 02/28/2020 12:54 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28852 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
French Offices Abroad
Egypt Sc#16 1902 Alexandrie.

Fraternity expressed as two cupids embracing.
"La bise" The French Kiss of greeting, friendship and mutual support.
During the 14th century people stopped doing it altogether as a result of the plague and it didn't make a reappearance until after the First World War.

Mutilated Stationery : Lettercard
Yvert & Tellier #2600
1924 CLPP 75c Violet.
Liberty is holding the Hand of Justice, and the Cornucopia (Horn of Plenty)
Edited by rod222 - 02/28/2020 01:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2898 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

That's an interesting French telegraph cut-out.

Does Y&T say how it was used?

It seems strange to have a telegraph letter card.

I've just found a note about these in the Hiscocks Telegraph & Telephone catalogue which the author said it was unclear what the purpose was for these but he assumed they were from some form of telegraph or telephone form.

The stamp is the same design used on the right-hand side of the early telephone stamps except that they had two frame lines around the whole stamp.
Nigel
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05