Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 111
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2753 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamps Ray, thanks for sharing them with us!

I had a look at them, last night before falling asleep and I have a question for Michael.

I have three old catalogues that list the first (red) stamp in the first picture and they each give a different date for it:

- McDonald (1998) - 1923

- Pulko (2002) - 1928

- Michel (1998/99) - 1929

What date does Isfila give for this?

The second stamp in the second picture is a 3 piastres proportional fees revenue stamp from the 1879 set.

I like its underprint pattern which stands out nicely under a magnifying glass or when enlarged on the screen.

I'm surprised the 1923 Izmir Economic Congress set isn't listed in Scott (other than in a brief note).

It has a full listing in SG, Michel, Pulko etc.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nigel -

I have this vague/crazy recollection of that stamp being listed in Scott. (No idea why?) I checked older versions & it isn't listed in any of them...

It is listed in Isfila as 1923 - cat. # C1 - being the first stamp issued from the Society for the Protection of Children - which obviously had many more stamps issued throughout the years since. No idea why other catalogs have different dates, nor any guess as to who is right...

Also of note/interest is that it shows a print quantity of 1,000,000 - which would make it one of the larger print quantities of that time of any Turkish stamp. Says printed by Sanayi Nefise Matbaasi of Istanbul.

Hope that helps?!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2753 Posts
Posted 07/02/2019   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Michael,

That adds nicely to my confusion!

McDonald is a great catalogue (and it's a second edition) but it's not always accurate so it's interesting that Isfila agrees on this point.

The others also give the one million number.

Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 07/02/2019 08:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4333 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New addition to my Turkey collection 1 cent. stamp looks like a plate flaw on a 10 paras stamp
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26621 Posts
Posted 07/12/2019   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly under inking, for whatever reason (EFO)
Sc#67 Oft seen with the serif missing from the "1"
Not seen the "0" like this though.
Stamp appears genuine.
Edited by rod222 - 07/12/2019 3:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4333 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Need some input on these ......
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26621 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless Michael, Nigel or others post,
I'd suggest you post each by a single scan at 200dpi
Then we can see the "secret marks" that go to confirming authenticity.
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
Posted 07/24/2019   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also scan the front of the 5pi, you're looking at the back there. :)
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2125 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader: The 2nd two look like forgeries IMO.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4333 Posts
Posted 07/25/2019   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
larger scans -
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
Posted 07/26/2019   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note that the control band on the 5pi is only half there. The control band was placed on these by the government after receiving the stamps from the printer in order to stop the printer from making more than they were supposed to then selling them via the back door. In the case of these postage due stamps (they were actually used as regular stamps as well as proof of postage due payments) that control band is in blue and it should span the full area between the two adjacent rows of tęte-bęche stamps Some of the forgers got lazy and printed their stamps all upright with only a half control band between rows. I believe that's what's going on the that stamp. Somewhere around here (maybe in my Burak catalog?) I have a picture of the full control band which shows the lettering. You can compare the portions visible on the stamps with the actual text and verify it's correct. Forgeries seldom have the right Turkish text there.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26621 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The BUMPER edition of the Middle Eastern Philatelic Bulletin (No12) has just been released, Lots of nights reading here...........

Disappointed:
The Kemal Attaturk Souvenir sheet was not included for ID,
I still have no idea on the genesis of that item..

Contents:
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4210 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   08:16 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26621 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Geoff,
thought they were only available to members.........
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4210 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   03:21 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I was taken aback! As I'm interested in the Arabian "empire" element, I'll have to comb through them.
Page: of 111 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05