Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unexploded Booklet Pane, Bk80a Help To Identify?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
519 Posts
Posted 09/30/2016   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I came across this booklet pane of stamps. While trying to ID it we are a bit confused. Is there a similar book that we could be confusing this with? Our example does have the cellophane.
The Scott Catalogue states; "56,000 booklets of BK80a were produced in 1928 using .00125 inch thick cellophane interleaving. Scarce, as few were saved." They value it at $2,500.

When we used the Siegel Power Search this one listing came up.

United States
U.S. Stamps
Back-of-Book
U.S. Booklets - Complete 991

2010-06-23

The Philip R. Beutel Collection of Booklets and Savings Stamps 1313 nh Sale Number 991, Lot Number 1313, 1926 and Later Issues2c Carmine, Complete 25c Booklet With Experimental Cellophane Interleaving (BK80a), 2c Carmine, Complete 25c Booklet With Experimental Cellophane Interleaving (BK80a)2c Carmine, Complete 25c Booklet With Experimental Cellophane Interleaving (BK80a). Comprising two panes of six No. 634d, BIA Cover Type IV-c.3-4, wonderfully fresh and Fine-Very Fine, this is one of 56,000 booklets made in the spring of 1928, despite a fairly substantial quantity made this is almost surely the first we have seen.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3115 Posts
Posted 09/30/2016   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you carefully open a small bit, does it have Cellophane Interleaving?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
519 Posts
Posted 09/30/2016   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does have the Cellophane Interleaving. I saw a couple on eBay.
I read that this Cellophane caused problems. The stamps would stick
to it. I see that ours is not pristine, but the stamps seem to be well centered and not stuck to the Cellophane.
Edited by rlmstamps2012 - 09/30/2016 5:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
Posted 09/30/2016   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't the difference waxed interleave or experimental cellophane? Probably need to send it in for certification.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
519 Posts
Posted 09/30/2016   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

When I searched Siegel I only looked at BK80a's. When I look at 634d,s
I now see more. Looking at PF cert's, there were none for BK80a's. When I searched 634d's more came up. Only two booklets. One was certed not as BK80a, but as on wax paper.

Thank you stallzer and Partime! When years ago we first saw this booklet, we looked only into 634's and moved on.

Looking into Cellophane, as a property, it is see through. I have seen some stamps wrapped in it. It is not very forgiving. After reading this and looking again, I would guess that the paper is wax!
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rick2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to ask if both wax interleave and cellophane were see through?? I have a booklet with interleaving also, and was wondering what the difference between both interleaving was? Is it just a thickness measurement, or the visibility factor. I can see through mine. The Scott Cat listed a thickness of .00125 (I think) as comment above, but I have no way of measuring. Mine does have 11x10.5 perfs.
Edited by Rick2 - 01/11/2019 2:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1076 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you think you've got the experimental type of booklet, buy a regular booklet - they catalog about $10.00 - and compare it with what you have.

Probably cheaper than a certificate. If yours is different from the BK80 you purchased, then send it in.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rick2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Stampman2002, great idea.....now just have to find one......no dealers within 70-80 miles. Not having fun with eBay, they ripped me off for 50.00 so I hate them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rick2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK......is this hipstamp site an auction site or fixed price sale.... (or both?)..I went there and it appears to be auction. But some items did not have auction ending dates??
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The booklet is a buy it now for $5 or make offer. It's basically the same as eBay but since you hate eBay its a good alternative.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rick2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK.....thanks !
Pillar Of The Community
United States
549 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlmstamps2012, the experimental cellophane interleaves are very scarce. It's extremely unlikely you have that. The normal interleaves are common and have a waxy appearance, and it's far more likely that's what you have. Agree with Stampman2002 that the easiest/quickest/cheapest way to expertize is probably to just buy a common BK80 and compare the interleaves...
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 01/23/2019   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rick2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
srailkb.........Just waiting for the 5$ booklet to show up.........! Haven't had much luck finding anything too special over the years, so ........ crossing my fingers!
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 01/30/2019   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rick2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I feared, mine is not the experimental interleaving........!
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 02/01/2019   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad, Rick.

I wonder how many collections are out there with 2 BK80's in them - one found or bought first, and the other bought later as a double-check.

At least now you have 2 booklets and you didn't spend $30-ish on a cert!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05