Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 02/10/2020   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aucguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
since I am the club auctioneer, been sorting through 9 boxes of stuff starting on last Thursday and basically finishing on Sunday. Been fun and am returning several individual items to owner with recommendations on liquidating other than the local club auction.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just finished going the through an APS sales circuit of worldwide classic era stamps. Picked out about 50 stamps to add to the collection. Here are some of the more interesting ones.
- Cape of Good Hope Scott 24 with a left wing margin. I like the wing margin production varieties of British Commonwealth stamps.
- Bolivar (Colombia) Scott 62--this one seems to have been privately perforated gauge 11 1/2. Scott lists only imperf. and sewing machine perf. varieties.
- Crete Scott 96 without overprint. Scott states this stamp was not regularly issued without the overprint. The seller marked it as Michel 41F.
- Denmark newspaper stamps Scott P1 and P4.
- France 1.25fr Pasteur Scott 195 with "G.L" perfin.
- Travancore Scott 6--The ink has bled through the stamp (does that make it aniline ink?). Interesting, the watermark seems to be inverted and reversed when compared to the illustration in Scott.
- Memel Scott N11 issued under Lithuanian occupation.
- Panama Scott F27--a stamp that doubles as a registration stamp and a registration label.
- Russia unknown--Can't find it in Scott or Forbin. I have some research to do.
- A couple of stamps from Russia Offices in China (Scott 5 & 6).
- An early U.S. airmail (Scott C8) and a Treasury Department official (Scott O77).
- My very first stamp from Zululand, Scott 14. It is a revenue stamp that was subsequently authorized for postal usage. Mine has a revenue cancellation. It is also listed as Barefoot 1, which is how I will identify it in my collection.
- Quite a few classic era British Commonwealth definitives. Always fun to work on those guys.

Now to incorporate them into my albums.

Robert
Edited by Trainwreck - 02/15/2020 10:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2055 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   02:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday, I went to our weekly stamp market and picked a dozen of cinderellas (some, already shown on the proper thread!) and some stamps.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aucguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about everyone else, but I did something I don't like doing in stamp collecting that is soak the soaking box. I always tell myself don't let the soak box get to full but you know how that goes. I got 4 piles done and still have 10 piles to go. that does not include the self adhesive ones either. That requires Bestine and some fast tong hands notice the plural on hands. Wife tells me I need to tell her when I putting stuff in soak box so she can remind me to soak.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aucguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
also forgot to mention went to a local show. Bought 4 box lots and a old Scott vol 1 album with stamps and 6 German Reich booklet panes. the one dealer got all my money. A fast in and out and I did not get in to trouble with my wife.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
638 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I tried a new tactic to get Post Office visitors into stamp collecting.

I printed of an APS annual album https://stamps.org/stamp-albums and posted the album pages on the Post Office bulletin board for anyone to take. When it is gone, I'll post another APS year album.
Edited by oldguy - 02/17/2020 7:49 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
235 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On Monday I drove to Edinburgh to attend Robert Murray stamp auction. There were a number of lots in the catalogue that seemed to require a closer look. I got a four block of the 2d Channel islands stamp "gathering vraic" this included the broken wheel flaw. I got a fair condition four margin GB 1840 2d blue in the Full Blue shade. I also got 10 leaves of mounted mint Wildings including phosphor graphites, and most if not all watermark varieties and stamp booklet panes. They are beautifully written up on the best linen hinged leaves so I will probably put them straight in my album. I didn;t get a scanner so you'll just have to imagine them.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This past weekend, I received a complete set of U.S. Flags of our Nation in strips of five with plate numbers (60 stamps in all.) My wife bought them for me for my birthday last month. I discovered that the pages I had designed for them had spaces too short for the strips so I redesigned the pages, printed them, and mounted the stamps. Finally, I scanned them and added them to my website. I have to admit that I never really took a close look at the stamps, but think they're very colorful and somewhat interesting.
Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org) Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampboylife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorting fun 6oz worldwide mix
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28759 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
- Travancore Scott 6--The ink has bled through the stamp (does that make it aniline ink?). Interesting, the watermark seems to be inverted and reversed when compared to the illustration in Scott.

Yes, mine has some ink "bleed" unsure if it is caused by soaking.
One needs a mint stamp with bleed to ascertain.
2 Chuckram scarlet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rod222, for the insight.

I took another look at the watermark and have determined it's just inverted and not reversed.

I'll make a custom page for that issue with inverted watermarks.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aucguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trainwreck...still a nice find. I always look for the odd ones in the mixture.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aucguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I have finished my soaking in record time... I figured I would be soaking for two more days. Now comes the daunting but exciting task of sorting to see what goodies I soaked. I am still trying to figure out the picture thing 2KB is pretty small file.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1299 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last night (Feb. 18), Eddie Hackstaff gave his presentation on Mail from British Mount Everest Expeditions, 1921-1939, as a benefit for the American Alpine Club Library in Golden CO. I saw his original show at the November monthly program of the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library in Denver, to which he has added new material. Great show both times. I'm hoping it will eventually be up on the Library's You Tube site.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4693 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   1:42 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 103  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05