Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2680 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The question may be what stamp collecting commercial item (mounts, catalogs, albums, etc.) would you miss the most? The hobby sustains them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2012 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita75, note that modern one or two volume junior WW albums will have few spaces for older/pre-1940 stamps and a ton of spaces for very modern stuff. You'll see when you get a look in person. Used albums in very good shape from the 1960s or earlier provide a better balance and if one comes with some stamps, all the better, I think.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 02/23/2020   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you hy-brasil. I am not having a lot of luck finding something appropriate when trying to bid on or buy used Albums. I may not be looking for the right thing. Now, once I get to a Stamp store, I will probably get better perspective on what to look for.
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The local stamp club had its twice yearly auction last night, the first I've attended as I'm a newly rejoined member. They do a live auction whereas the stamp club where I lived before had a silent auction format, which I prefer as you have a better opportunity to review the material as you circle around bidding.

My consignment of Scott 1804-1810 Cuban cattle breed stamps (2016 cv $6.10, min. bid $1.00) didn't sell, but I came home with a lot of mixed WW, some US, mostly off paper, weighing 36.76 ounces for $5.00.

Already I can tell this will be fun and while there are defiantly many duplicates to what I already have (though hopefully opportunities to upgrade) there will also be much new material.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   06:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finished up page layouts for another Malay State tonight - Negri Sembilan

APS #173088
Valued Member
Ireland
214 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another new issue in Dublin yesterday and for the second successive week, there was achange to the programme as set out in the pre-publicity.
Oneof the stamps scheduled to be in the "Irish Abroad" set was replaced by a different and I think better design. Three stamps at national rate and two at airmail rate. Supposedly the original stamp could not be verified as "Dublin airport" which seems a bit odd. But whatever the reason, I dont think its a big deal. Behind the scenes, there will always be second thoughts. The problem is in publishing the quarterly bulletin before final decisions are made.
Also spent the day buying some "Quiet Man" postcards which will be a nice connexion to next weeks issue which includes Maureen O'Hara. ...unless she is replaced by Saoirse Ronan.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aucguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Moneil, there is nothing like a club auction. I belong to a club that has a club auction every meeting. We usually sell around 100 to 150 lots per meeting. Lots usually are either consignments, donations or members lots. December is the big auction so the club can start off fresh the next year and we limit the lots to consignment or donation lots only.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
221 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found a B&O perfin; I am not a perfin guy, but this was unexpected fun.

So for paying bills by mail, I'm using up a batch of old 13 cent stamps MNH which I got at a steep discount from face, these take an additional 3 cent stamp to make the 55 cent first class rate (US 2020). So I dip into a supply of old 3 cent stamps in an envelope and pull out what I thought was a single 3 cent Jefferson from the Prexies back in 1938 (Sc. 807). But it was two, and the one hiding had a nice perfin that I could make out fairly easily.

I do notice an isolated puncture at the top left of the left-hand 3.
This is lacking in the only other B&O perfin I have seen in the thread http://goscf.com/t/41978 So I wonder what this perfin meant. Perhaps a particular B & O office location?

Edited by jleb1979 - 03/19/2020 12:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just mailed 3 coil past up singles on covers to a guy who will use them to create a process for removing them off cover for expertising and then reapplying.
Michael Darabaris
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received more clear mounts so working on my Mexico Album again to distract me from everything going on. :)

Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 03/19/2020   8:09 pm  Show Profile Check ddaann's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ddaann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The B & O pefin looks like Randall's book # B280 = Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company General Offices in Baltimore MD

Dan
I'm ddaannv on eBay
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
Posted 03/20/2020   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Motivation: Due to the virus, I am on a no stamp buying budget for a month. (Yes, I will probably spend all I save at some later date.)

1. I am re-reading the front section of my Scott US Specialized. Everyone should re-read the intro to their catalogs every few years. You will be surprised at what you will find.

2. I happened to borrow a few of the 5 cent binders (M, Mexico, N) at the last Knoxville Philatelic Society club meeting. I have gone through them and found a total of 36 new additions to my Internationals I-IV (1840-1960). I enjoyed almost every minute of the search. The time that was not enjoyable was when I spilled one of the binders. That was not fun.

3. In an interesting twist, after buying those few stamps from the binders, I am now going to go through my M and N duplicates and will add some of them to the binders.

Anything to keep busy so that I do not look online to buy stamps.
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 03/20/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ursa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since Monday, I've been on holiday from work due to the virus. It'll run through at least March 30th.

I can't think of a time in my life when I've been more grateful to have stamp collecting as a diversion.

Work continues on transferring my collection to Steiner pages. I wrapped up the French Colonies collection yesterday. When I finish with Fujeira today, I'll have all the A through F countries completed, with the exception of a few Australian stamps that I need to study more closely.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
221 Posts
Posted 03/20/2020   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you ddaann for the specificity on that perfin.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4013 Posts
Posted 03/20/2020   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Went into the local post office as they opened (cleanest air) and picked-up two auction lots.

I figure those lots sat at the auction house since, say, December, as they were in a mid-March catalog.

BYOBB (Buy Your Own Bargain Box) purchases that will last me awhile.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Page: of 103  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05