Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,653 / Views: 171,816Next Topic
Page: of 111
Pillar Of The Community
2196 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very beautiful. I also have a Dutch 1950 Scandinavia album that I've working to fill for some years. The challenge for Sweden is to find the perforation varieties. For me, that's the most rewarding part of it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30297 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I have no problem, with spaces on an album page,
When you get to fill a pace later, Joy!
Nice start there Crispin.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   07:48 am  Show Profile Check ddaann's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ddaann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cursus - My cousin would that THOSE are stamps! As you do, he collected only stamps that had served their purpose. To Hans-Erdmann, Everything else was just a sticky label. The quality of your pages and stamps is delightful.

Crispinhj - Check out Google Translate for iPhone. I use it for Russia, Japan, and China.
I'm ddaannv on eBay
Valued Member
United Kingdom
141 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ddaann

Quote:
Check out Google Translate for iPhone. I use it for Russia, Japan, and China

The whole words are OK - Facit is bilingual in Swedish and English and as you say Google Translate is your friend. I can recognise the words for officials, postage due, watermark and perforation now without any problem and can even pick up some other words - sometimes!

But the abbreviations take a while. On the Swedish page above most stamps have a suffix t or v for tinted or white paper, and it took me ages - at least a week - for the penny to drop and realise that v was for vitt, meaning white. The prefix V and H are for left and right imperf sides But what do B and K stand for?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
141 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and thanks Rod and Cursus for the nice words. I'm looking forward to filling spaces if I can, though many of the holes, like the wavy line watermarked 15 ore stamp are out of my price range if someone else has ID'd them. But I'll be checking every one that comes across my desk just in case!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful page of Sweden! There are actually 2 rare watermark varieties for that definitive design- seems silly for the album maker to include either of them.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
141 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Shermae.

I agree, why include a stamp that is so unusual. and expensive, it's just going to be a hole for a long time. I noticed that there were two wavy line stamps as well - the other one is even more expensive!

There are other examples of stamps of that sort of cost that will remain unfilled in my album in other countries too. And yet other stamp varieties with for example the letter watermarks that must be much commoner (because I've got some!) have no homes

I like the Swedish stamps, loads of colour shades and other things to look at, I was thinking of doing some quadrille pages in a separate album for these ......... one day. I'm not sure I'm ready to try to sort out the Danish bicolour stamps - they do look a bit of a challenge
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I printed off the first 2020 update to my Machin Adminware Novice album. Eight pages. I find it easier to keep current.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
989 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I shared my work with my son who is not interested in the slightest and he made polite noises and commented that the gaps would annoy him. So I looked to see if I could fill the blank in the second page only to discover the CV is about $1,000

At least what you already have on that page is symmetrical. I will be eternally frustrated by a gap at the right end of a row on an otherwise full page in my U.S. album, thanks to Scott #613 (catalog value $40,000 used, no known mint copies).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
989 Posts
Posted 04/14/2020   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But the abbreviations take a while. On the Swedish page above most stamps have a suffix t or v for tinted or white paper, and it took me ages - at least a week - for the penny to drop and realise that v was for vitt, meaning white. The prefix V and H are for left and right imperf sides But what do B and K stand for?

Here's a key to Swedish catalog abbreviations that you may find useful.

http://frim%C3%A4rksdata.se/sida/katalogen/
Valued Member
United Kingdom
141 Posts
Posted 04/15/2020   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a key to Swedish catalog abbreviations that you may find useful.

thanks Erilaz, I'll check that out
Pillar Of The Community
2196 Posts
Posted 04/20/2020   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These days, I'm working on my Norway stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
Posted 04/20/2020   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the simplicity of your pages. Descriptive yet all the focus is on the stamps. Nice job.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2870 Posts
Posted 04/20/2020   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These look like Steiner pages.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
2196 Posts
Posted 04/20/2020   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, these are Steiner pages. I just printed and hinged the stamps on them. I like 90% of their lay out: simple and aesthetic.
Page: of 111 Previous TopicReplies: 1,653 / Views: 171,816Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05