Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,618 / Views: 168,676Next Topic
Page: of 108
Valued Member
Spain
206 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   05:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
I'm putting together my own Swiss pages.
It's been months and I hope to finish this next week.
Regards.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful stamps Roberto
Valued Member
Ireland
239 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its been a case of "going to the mountain" (literally) rather than waiting for the mountain to come to me.
So last month two days in which I visited County Donegal to try and track down some "Stamps on a Roll" (aka machine labels) which all have a unique 4 digit number. So I got to 28 post offices in County Donegal.
There are actually 935 post offices in the Republic of Ireland and 7 days ago, I had SOAR from about 860....in some cases I have multiples from some post offices (eg 102 from the main post office in Galway City).And I have literally thousands of SOAR still to do a "second sort" but of course getting a new SOAR in kiloware is needle in a haystack territory.
So on Tuesday we set off for County Mayo (46 active post offices and I had SOAR from 36). Got to see 35 post offices (plus a couple in County Sligo) which was good going in three days. Now I only have two SOARS to find in County Mayo. Lovely scenery, some unusual post offices, some great staff who were very helpful and in some of the Gaeltacht areas, extremely tolerant of my attempts to speak to them.
I suppose the big takeaway was that two commemorative stamps were issued on Thursday and none of the smaller offices get any commemorative stamps issued to them. Some feel that they are marginalised by the Philatelic Bureau. I asked in a couple of larger offices after Thursday but they had none sent to them. This is actually very bad news for collectors. It could mean that commemorative new issues (the life blood of this hobby) are only available in large metropolitan areas.
The good news is that I picked up eight SOARS and the two remaining SOARS can be got next year...
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Theosprey247 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today it was Canada's turn to be sorted.
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I finished going through a lot of Austria on Minkus pages I bought on eBay last week. I added 96 stamps to my collection with potential upgrades on a dozen or so more.

My next task will be to go through my early Bosnia and Herzegovina issues. I have about 120 in an old Scott Austria album and a few dozen in an envelope to go through.

I ordered the first three parts of the Scott Austria album and two binder/slipcase sets which should all arrive this week.

After going through a couple lots on Scott specialty pages I decided the smaller Steiner pages just would not work for me for my Austria collection.

Dale
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
209 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Added about 32 Denmark issues from an old collection to my Steiner pages this week. Then tonight I found an envelope with a few more, so I'm not up to date yet. And so it goes.
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I added these tete-beche gutter strips to my Denmark collection. They are mentioned in a footnote in Scott, which seems a bit dismissive, It says that certain issues of 1938-55 "...reached the market in 1971 and were not regularly issued ......they were removed from booklet pane sheets." Scott does not price them, however the AFA catalogue does list them and, as with many issues says how many were printed. For the dark violet one it was only 50 sheets of ten strips, so a maximum of 500 exist. That makes it only five times as many as the 1918 Jenny invert. In an ideal world where everything was proportional and rarity equated to value, this strip would be quite valuable, but AFA lists it at 1200 Danish kroner, or about $191.00. This would probably be diminished somewhat by the fact that the selvage tab is missing, just to the left of the 10 ore wavy line stamp, something I didn't notice before I bought them, but I would have bought them anyway, and at a good price. Overall a couple of attractive items, but as with many tete-beche stamps, if you were to separate the component parts, they would be virtually worthless. The rose lake one lists at 250 DK or about $40.00
Edited by waddsbadds - 09/27/2020 10:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3748 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been organizing my Swiss collection and holly molly I didn't realize I had so many. It took over 2 weeks so far and I still have a few to go.

I will post pics as soon as I figure out my new phone

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found a seller on eBay auctioning some desirable Belgian Congo and Ruanda-Urundi so I took the plunge. Won 4 out of 5 that fill vacancies in my collection. Awaiting them to make the trip across the pond, so these images are from the eBay listings.

Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Theosprey247 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I continue to plug away at my Canada accumulation when 2,000 stamps of Norway land on my doorstep.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Theosprey247 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorted out a GB collection I recently purchased (2 years ago).
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
Posted 10/02/2020   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dgwhite87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a large Iowa Postmark collection. I "think" I am going to create a page for every city/town. I "think" each town/city page will give info on location, population and then a brief history explaining how the town received its name. This may all change, but here's my first attempt and also a scan of some of my postmarks.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1025 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Outremer01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been sorting through and (trying to) identify a collection of Syria revenues that I acquired recently. Some are in the Duston catalogue, others are covered by the excellent "Revenue Reverend" resource website. The collection includes some charity labels for anti-smoking and TB fund-raising.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5109 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing! Very jealous - where did you pick those up?
Valued Member
United States
37 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JRockne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Printed some Steiner pages for my modern Sweden.

I have some clean (and largely empty) Blues to 1950. But I'lll never fill them. They mock me!

Plus I like to go deep with fact number and even some high value stamps.

My printer is not so great. Specks of ink. Some shadowing. But it's ok. When the ink tuns out I'll upgrade from the fifteen year old printer.
Page: of 108 Previous TopicReplies: 1,618 / Views: 168,676Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05