Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,808 / Views: 184,832Next Topic
Page: of 121
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clive, thank you for the referral to the Album easy video, I will watch it today.

Curiously, I never thought of my back when I took up stamp collecting at age 8 - and only noticed the affects it seems to have in the last few years, but maybe they are cumulative.

I was a day away from having fusion back surgery after three weeks of agony when suddenly the symptoms went away - I had four herniated disks so they weren't cured, but have managed for the last seven years to get by being cautious and using Salon Pas as needed, like today.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31705 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was a day away from having fusion back surgery

My doctor, on my request for surgery was " It's an age thing, deal with it"
I am going to persevere. The "back swing" is my saviour, but you never know when it is about to strike.
I find leaning over stamps tables, at bourses brings it on.

Sometimes I feel like standing upright was a not a good idea for the species.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5960 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keeping your core strong does wonders for your back. Exercise no matter what obstacles you face. Keep moving if humanly possible.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My doctor, on my request for surgery was " It's an age thing, deal with it"

@ Rod, you and I must have the same doctor (-:

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
578 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday, I started filling a duplicate US album I had sitting on a pile of duplicate stuff. The album had 1938ish to 1980 mint but nothing else. Well, it had a bunch of mounts in it. I have now filled the pre 1938 with many used stamps from various other stuff in the duplicate pile. It was a good feeling to be filling spaces. I guess that really is one of my joys of collecting.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to post something similar to this on the soaking topic.

I successfully used the suggestion to use the flat part of my tongs rubbed circularly on the hinge remnants I wanted to remove until the heat helped the hing start to peel. It worked on 5 out of the 6 stamps I tried it on. No more remnant, no damage caused to the stamp, and much nicer looking than it had been before the operation.

As long as I have been collecting, never heard of this method but it gives me lots of philatelic activity for the future.

BobbyT
Valued Member
33 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tore99 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Added various miscellaneous stamps to my Hungary collection, from postage to airmail to postage due. What was represented to me as a Scott P1 (newspaper stamp) has thick paper, almost postcard-like, compared to the thin paper of the other newspaper stamps - cut postal stationery, perhaps? Not sure - Scott is no help and I'm still working my way through understanding the format of my recently-purchased Hungarian language catalogue, which includes stationery.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last night, I recatalogued my classic stamps from Albania and Algeria, printed new pages, and laid the stamps out on the pages.

Today, I cut individual mounts and mounted 440 stamps, 147 for Albania, 104 for Algeria, 41 for Andorra, and 148 for Angola. It was a long day.

Azores and Bahamas are next.
Valued Member
Australia
68 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday went to the first 'live' club auction in about a year.

Didn't buy much at all as the prices people were paying were ridiculous. Some of the items could have been bought cheaper on eBay.

It was nice to get out of the house and actually look at some stamps.

Looking forward to going to more of the club auctions in the future.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since last Sunday, I removed and sorted through classic Azores, Bahamas, Barbados, and Bermuda, preparing for remounting on new pages. However, Austria was calling me and I got into doing that instead. I removed the 21 pages worth from the old International Part 1, sorted, soaked off hinges and paper remnants as needed, and then remounted on new pages. All in all this was about 800 stamps, though a few parallel pages were done. If I have 50 percent of both unused and used for a particular set (or page), I'll do one of each as this saves me storing them back into glassines.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seemed like an easy enough project to start with but by noon I had most of my collection out and spread around my huge dining room table, including several of the chairs.

I wanted to put together some "all different country glassine packets" for trade here.

When I got to Hungary, I began to appreciate the extent of my collection realizing I have duplicates for many of the stamps, but triples and more. So I spread out five albums to make sure the ones which go into the packets are truly "homeless" - don't have a spot in any of the four I keep for Hungary. The fifth album I knew was all dups, but I forgot home many.

I didn't get that far, but as of now have one packet of 150 different and another of 40 different. I will keep working on it.

I also kept working at trying to figure out how to upload photos and scans to this site. I took apart one of my albums to get better scans of a few pages than the photos which I had taken. Now if I can just figure out how to keep the files, jpeg, and small enough, I might be there.

Also using the glassine interleaving I recently obtained to make my Scott Volume 1s easier to look at since the pages face each other.

BobbyT
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2976 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If image file size is an issue, you can use the image size optimizer. In some cases, you may want to keep image size as you want then use the image optimizer for posting.

https://www.stampcommunity.org/image-optimizer/

Al
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Theosprey247 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorted through some stamps of Australia, got bored and bought a bounce of FDCs from various places.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, because I did Austria last week, I figured to start on Hungary. Primary reason being my Hungary glassines were not well organized. I removed 1941-1959 from the old pages. I sorted and recatalogued all stamps, including the classics which were already in glassines. I printed new pages through 1949, at least a dozen parallel pages, and created pages for the Three-Hole punch varieties of several issues. Stamps are laid out and ready to mount. Gonna take a while because it's got to be 1000+ stamps.

Monday - cut & mounted 137 stamps
Edited by NicholasC - 03/15/2021 10:58 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
446 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last night I used AlbumEasy to work up a supplementary page to intercalate in my album for an AEF booklet pane (Sc. 498f) I picked up in a Kelleher sale this month.

Entailed spending some pleasant moments poking more deeply into this item as well as fiddling with the PAGE_COLUMN command to get the spacing right so the booklet pane would fit. Pretty happy to have this in the album.

Page: of 121 Previous TopicReplies: 1,808 / Views: 184,832Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05