Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,866 / Views: 188,463Next Topic
Page: of 125
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see the light at the end of the Classic+ A-B tunnel. I sorted through Argentina, Bavaria, Bolivia, and Brazil. Going to skip mounting South America for now and Bavaria will likely go into my Germany specialty pages at some point. The only A-B country left to sort through is Bulgaria. I had already identified 99% of the stamps still on the old pages, so it'll be a breeze to get them transferred into mounts on new pages, but sorting through the thousands of loose stamps will be a pain.

Got my 2012 U.S. Specialized catalog the other day (matches my world set). Seems it will be helpful, but I won't know until I get working in more depth on my U.S. collection.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1353 Posts
Posted 04/12/2021   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm identifying classic France definitives using the Maury catalog. Also, I transferred my Scott U.S. album pages to new binders.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bulgaria almost completely sorted, meaning each stamp numbered and stored in glassines by set or small sequences. I cut 3x5 index cards into 8 vertical strips, write the catalog numbers on them and place in #4 glassine with the stamps. I'm not a fan of writing on the glassines themselves. I use white index cards for stamps I have not yet identified as duplicates. I use non white for duplicates.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2997 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am trying a new method to inventory spares. I got tired of using stamp tags (small pieces of paper).

Al
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding Scott catalogues, one of the reasons I started collecting worldwide again was that, by mostly limiting myself to 1840-1940, I only need one catalogue. Since I am not concerned about the value, I am still using the 2010 version of that catalogue, it has everything I need, and saves me money to spend on stamps instead of catalogues.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 2005 and 2019 version of the Classic, but with this new collection, I needed worldwide. so I found a full set of 2012 (from multiple vendors), $10 or less each. And last week received a 2012 U.S. specialized also for about $10. I don't have anything after 1975 anyway, outside of the U.S. that is. Anything I have for U.S. after 2000 is fresh from the local post office and still resides in the large glassine envelopes they give me.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yours was a good choice too Nicholas. When thinking about 12 volumes though I really appreciate my being able to find most of what I collect in one volume of the Classic catalogue.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5538 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   08:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having been gradually working through material from around the world over the last year or so, I've finally started work on the French mountain. Large number of feeder albums that need to be tidied up before sale, and a dozen or so stock-books to be worked through, for, inter alia, varieties. Months of this ahead of me, I fear.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2997 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I put mounting stamps on hold while I set up a new laptop. As the norm, it did not have a built on CD-DVD player.

Unfortunately, Microsoft decided to remove the printer driver for my ancient Brother laser. I know it was problematic but it did print PDFs washout issue. My prior system was also Windows 10 had a built it driver for it and Brother refers to the built in driver for Win 10. I have not been able to find a way to add it back as Windows seemed to redone their printer driver architecture. I found the prn and inf files in my old setup but still researching.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Bobby T: you might consider upgrading your 1840-1940 Classic, despite the expense. Every year Scott adds more text, details, minor numbers, covers, etc., to the classic issues. I buy it every three years and am currently working from the 2020 edition.

Recent philatelic activity not involving this Forum, the other SCF Forum, or reading my literature. Wired money to Lisbon, Portugal for an order from my dealer there.
Edited by Climber Steve - 04/17/2021 10:46 am
Valued Member
United States
282 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Climber Steve,

Which forum is the "other SCF forum"?

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2997 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This year I will achieve the APS 50 year membership milestone and get Life Member status.
Al
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 04/19/2021   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Angore!

Just finished mounting 511 stamps from Bulgaria through end of Kingdom (1946) on 59 new pages.

Need to mount Belgium BOB, Azores, and then do Australia. That'll mean I'm pretty much done with A-B through 1940+.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 04/19/2021   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, I found another 500+ loose stamps of Hungary. It's like it never ends.
Edited by NicholasC - 04/19/2021 8:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the thought on this Climber Steve. Do you remount everything every three years, too? Instead, I have been thinking about creating my own pages to supplement what is missing from the Classic Album, the higher values, etc. Do you use dust jackets? That is another upgrade I have been considering.
Page: of 125 Previous TopicReplies: 1,866 / Views: 188,463Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05