Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,866 / Views: 188,465Next Topic
Page: of 125
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicholas, you had mentioned trading or swapping some of your stamps in the Swap topic - are you still interested in that? I am finding that extremely fun.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh my - I now understand that Cimber Steve was not talking about replacing the Scott Album every three years, but the Classic Catalogue. I might have to consider that - though if I do it will probably be every 10 years.
Valued Member
United States
282 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Oh my - I now understand that Cimber Steve was not talking about replacing the Scott Album every three years, but the Classic Catalogue. I might have to consider that - though if I do it will probably be every 10 years.

I recently upgraded mine from a 2017 to a 2020 that I found on Amazon for a good (to me) price. If you keep an eye out and can be patient, relatively recent ones can be found for under $30-40. Same goes for the US Specialized, although I've been content with my 2017 edition since I'm not actively doing anything with my US accumulation at this point.

Dale
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BobbyT, wasn't me. While I do have massive amounts of duplicates across the entire world, I'm not well organized enough to consider swapping anything at the moment. Once I get through my remounting project, I can take better inventory.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see that Nicholas - it was actually Nickmang who did that - after writing he had a huge accumulation of at least 6,000 stamps.

I understand about the organization issue. I have been mounting stamps like crazy, then bought some very nice lots, but have decided to take a break from buying while I try to get the rest of my stuff organized.

Swapping has been almost more fun than the buying because I have now idea what I am getting - it makes for a nice treasure hunt.

The swaps I have made have been "blind". My accumulations, in small bits, for those from three other folks. When you get to a place where you know you have dups you don't want, let me know. I have lots to swap especially because I am swapping worldwide items after 1940 - not collecting those, unless they are from Hungary, Scandinavia or the Baltic's.

Good luck - it sure takes persistence, doesn't it?

BobbytT
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BobbyT,

Definitely, but I'm good at being persistent. The only issue I have is that I may not finish before I'm too old.

In those extra loose stamps, I found 15 of Hungary that I needed for the pages I had already printed, including 6 of the 21x17 Budapest buildings.

Also in those packets was about 20 or so stamps stuck together. Soaked them apart successfully. Shockingly, I found Austria 77 and 89a that I didn't have. Not valuable, but fills spaces!

Turned out to be a good day after all.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicholas, in my opinion, that is what is great about stamp collecting - we are never done with it, no matter how hard or how long you work, you will always find new stuff to work on. "The hobby of a lifetime."

I long ago resigned myself to never being done, but now hope that I can pass someo f my projects on to my granddaughter - assuming she continues her interest in the hobby.

Persistence is also important. BobbyT
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked for a specialized catalogue (1840-1940 classics) and the cheapest I could find was $50 for a 2017 version. I will keep looking.
Valued Member
Canada
228 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paid too much for a private Canadian air mail. Pretty much catalogue for a CL51. I was sending a message to someone who was bidding $1 on every single stamp lot. I did take home what I really wanted though, a full set of mint Quebec Tercentenary Issue Scotts 96-103. I can't confirm how many are VF, but it also included an imperf pair of the 5c or 99a which I rarely see. There is one on eBay right now for over $600 US. Hope it gets here soon...
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
United States
872 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby T: It's just my take, but I don't think that's a bad price for a 2017 Scott Classic Specialized. (But I haven't done a search on eBay or Amazon to confirm this. I'm assuming that $50 is about the best price you found for something around this age.)

The volume is a hardback, and its retail price is somewhat higher than the regular catalogs (I think around $140-150?), and fewer people buy them at all, and when they do they tend to hold onto them for a while, so I think the secondary market for them is more limited.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Edited by Philatarium - 04/23/2021 1:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1353 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Submitted an order to Nordfrim for 1 kg of modern France definitives. Love those Mariannes. My last order took 3 months to be delivered (not their fault). Let's see how long this one takes.

Identified stamps from several countries (Falkland Islands, Brit. Antarctic Terr., South Georgia, Ethiopia, Norfolk Island, Aland Islands, India, Iran, Isle of Man and Iraq). These are from packet purchases--some have been sitting in a box on my desk for who knows how long. I'm in the process of printing album pages for them; then will move on to mounting them.

Robert
Valued Member
United Kingdom
469 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Currently working through a Minkus 'All American' stamp album I purchased last week from a local general auction. Have found quite a few additions to my Americans, and more than a few upgrades. Only done to 1938 so far, still got to do the 40s to 70s. Also picked up decent Canada, Australia and GB albums in the same lot. Plenty to do!
Regards
DavidR
Valued Member
United States
282 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Purchased a couple packs of Vario 7- and 8-row sheets.

Dale
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Working through Australia. Don't have as many Kangaroos as I thought. Having a hard time distinguishing between watermarks. The very similar large and small crowns and the wide and narrow A. Even the stamps that are unique because of color aren't helping me much.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 04/26/2021   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mounted Australia to QE2 coronation, Azores, and early Armenia. Created my own page for 1921 Armenia pictorial issue because frames on what I had didn't match the stamps well enough. Laid out Australian States and will mount those next. Then on to Afghanistan. That will definitely finish up A-B less South American countries Argentina, Bolivia, and Brazil.
Page: of 125 Previous TopicReplies: 1,866 / Views: 188,465Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05