Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,985 / Views: 196,766Next Topic
Page: of 133
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 05/25/2021   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add trabz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NicholasC, which mount do you use? do you use glue to stick it on the page?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
Posted 05/25/2021   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use clear mounts. I buy the packs of strips and cut them myself with a guillotine cutter (the small one up to 94mm). I print my own pages on cream card stock (67 pound paper).
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
Posted 05/26/2021   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mounted what I had for SYRIA through 1940. Was only 100 stamps which surprised me. Here's some of the less sparse pages. Nothing special, but they still look nice to me.

Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
Posted 05/27/2021   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm absolutely happy about this, but I do need to stop saying I mounted "what I had" because I keep finding packets lying around. Yes, I found more SYRIA and more from the T and U countries that I had also laid out ready for mounting. Not sure if these packets have items I didn't already have, but I'll figure that out tonight. Perhaps a review of my bins of packets is needed as I seem to have more than one place for several letters of the alphabet.
Valued Member
Canada
243 Posts
Posted 05/27/2021   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paced around waiting for 4 or 5 items to get here. I don't think the Postal system is back to normal yet. I don't even have a tracking number for any of these either....
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
Posted 05/28/2021   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't find anything new for SYRIA, but...

I did find that I mounted a stamp in the wrong location.

I also found that I had a POSTAL TAX stamp where I had not printed the page. I'll give a big congrats for the person who spots the stamp in the previous pages I posted that is in the wrong place.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
613 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I attended the Knoxville Philatelic Society regular meeting last night. It was live and on Zoom for those that chose not to attend in person. We saw a nice program on the Sphinx on stamps. Two members of KPS will be leading the virtual one page topical exhibit for the Great American Stamp Show. If you have a stamp or cover that has a nice story, think about writing it up and entering. This is just a fun exhibit, no prizes but some fun. I purchased a few early unused US and a few used revenues. This morning I put my purchases into albums. I did realize that I mis-read one of the scott numbers on one stamp. It was totally my fault but now I have a duplicate. Not the first time this has happened.
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tracked a purchase coming in from Lithuania, still a day or so away from delivery. Then felt bad that the envelope is sitting alone in the dark in some customs warehouse, waiting to come home to papa.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1774 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm writing my next paper, this time on the location of various Post Offices in my region that cannot be found on modern maps.

Most of them were railway navvie camps or fleeting tent towns on the goldfields.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
641 Posts
Posted 06/04/2021   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally finished laying out page inserts for the Admirals issues for my Canada Vario album. About eight pages (four six-pocket Vario stock pages) planned out to cover the Admiral issues, including War Tax and OHMS perfins.

I try to follow chronological order so issued like the 1917 Confederation are placed in apporximate chrnological position. I also parsed out the wet from the dry prints, and included separate spaces both wet and dry versions of the OHMS perfins, since they should exist in both varieties for those values that have both versions (though Unitrade does not parse these out).

This takes me up to approx 1926 in laying out page setups for Canada - approximately seventeen double-sided six-pocket Vario pages. I use Vario F binders and can fit approximately 25 double-sided Varios and 25 page key inserts in a binder, so hoping to be able to get all the George V issues in to round out the volume, and start the second volume with George VI issues.

APS #173088
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5668 Posts
Posted 06/04/2021   09:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's something heroically Sisyphean about this endeavour, DJ! Lovely work.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7520 Posts
Posted 06/04/2021   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would love to see what it looks like with the stamps on it!
But before you do, there are a couple of places where the word "Wove" is spelled as "Vowe"!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
641 Posts
Posted 06/04/2021   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter these pages actually will never have stamps on them. I house the actual stamps on Vario stock sheets and these pages I print off are inserted between the Vario pages to serve as a "key" as to what stamp is where on the stock sheet. Gives me the "look" of a traditional album without the extra cost of mounts.

Also means easy to fix typos without the worry of having to remount pages, and I use regular copy paper to print on (the pages are kept in page protectors between the stock sheets).

Geoff actually I quite enjoy making the pages, so not really Sisyphian for me, just a fun way to relax when not doing work with one of the Online Stamp catalogs.
APS #173088
Edited by DJCMHOH - 06/04/2021 10:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1358 Posts
Posted 06/04/2021   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, you might want to correct the spelling of "Imperforate" while you are at it.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
243 Posts
Posted 06/04/2021   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paid over $160 in UPS brokerage charges on package delivery to my house. Not that big either. WHY? If it was sent USPS by the auction house this would not have happened. Makes me want to give up on US purchases or just stick to two familiar places.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Page: of 133 Previous TopicReplies: 1,985 / Views: 196,766Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05