Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,170 / Views: 209,621Next Topic
Page: of 145
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 07/19/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last night I finished entering all my US commemorative and definitive stamps in a database.
I didn't realize how many stamps I have and their value. For my US stamps I try to collect only mint stamps, however, I have to purchase used for the classics as the mint versions are priced out of my budget.
Now its time to start a BoB database and get all them entered.
Still debating wether or not to create a database for world stamps, maybe for the classics though.
Im currently working on a box of kiloware.
JoanneG
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by CoffeeRules - 07/19/2021 4:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What are you using for a DB?
Norway
2 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LazyPapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@StampAllen

Yes, it is AlbumEasy.

The heading is currently in "Lucida Calligraphy Italic".

Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a productive day today.
Sorted and prepped some kiloware for soaking
Sorted by country of some off paper stamps I got in the mail
Organized and consolidated duplicates in my Canal Zone collection
Finished entering air mail and BoB into a database (I still have wines, cigarettes and snuff stamps to go)

JoanneG
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jconey

I set up a database with Numbers for iOS. I just have basic data...Scott number and value and notes.
I want to buy one of the stamp specific data bases but I don't know what to get so what Im doing is good enough for my needs.

JoanneG
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking for a decent one and there don't seem to be any that fit my needs. The only ones I've found that actually use Scott numbers tend to be US/UK centric and that doesn't help. My wife collects Japan and I need something that she can use too. At the moment, I've thrown a couple of thousand stamps on StampWorld, which really isn't all that useful (who in the world thought U.S. Back-of-book shouldn't be included?) but there really aren't any good alternatives that let you carry all of the information around with you.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33078 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
this is not a criticism, I am just astounded why collectors still
attempt to make their own databases by typing in general information.

I can understand specific databases linking scarce stamps, their auction prices, dates of sale and auction houses.

or, specific varieties of ephemera or items B.o.b.

But general stamp inventories, typing in those details, I would find extremely time consuming, and in the end a folly.

The work has already been done, it exists in stamp catalogues
all that hard work, laid on a plate for you.

For example you collect Japan, one can simply buy the latest Scott Japan Pages from Chirok, say $20
have your pages scanned (SEARCHABLE) to *.pdf. ( free or low cost program)

There you have it. A portable database, priced, and pictured

You purchase Canada Scott 87 and wish that to be in your owned database, simply highlight the text in the database in yellow or whatever, there you have it,
Highlight those numbers you are missing, or wish to purchase in green, or whatever.

What it won't do, is give you a flattering catalogue value of your total collection (it is a moving target anyhows depending on the current climate)

Next time you feel frustrated by the vast amounts of data you need to fill, give this some consideration.
Edited by rod222 - 07/20/2021 7:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding databases I find it's easier to keep a list of items I need rather than items I have. If your needs list is longer than your have list then you probably don't need a list either way. Delete the items from the list as you obtain them, and watch the list get shorter.
Edited by Gibby01 - 07/21/2021 12:34 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
78 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   04:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, it depends upon the country/era. If I have a lot more holes than stamps, I mark up old Scott catalogs or copies of them. If I have a lot more stamps than holes, a simple want list is sufficient. Old school.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3151 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am always curious how people deal with they have and do not have or want for large areas.

I use Stamp Manage as it includes Scott numbers. My collecting area is large - mostly British Commonwealth and independence countries. I started with Excel with the goal of a custom database but entering details was time consuming although I have contributed a lot of content to Stamp Manage (over 10,000 changes).

I have specialized lists in Excel for areas like GB Machins.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   09:04 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to enjoy listing things. I had an exhaustive list of my record collection, plus a notebook of wanted items. Later I had word documents listing my books, with dates read. I seem to have grown out of this in old age, but, if it harmlessly fills in your time, carry on.
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   09:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I build and use online SQL databases daily because it is the best platform for retaining philatelic data in the future, supports group data entry (perfect for larger projects), and for publicly sharing that data.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've become interested in acquiring 'back-issues' of early FDCs to enhance my US collection. I initially started going to the FDC vendor at local shows & heading to their Dollar box for some inexpensive items & found that a fulfilling activity as I got to look through numerous inexpensive items. Over the past couple of years I have found a couple of Covers stores on-line & found them to be just as fulfilling. One vendor is in Canada the other Texas, both offering a good variety and reasonable pricing. I have just about completed the years 1950s through 1980s and starting to work on 1990 to current (although I mostly have acquired the non-cached USPS FDC (& DCP) which suit my needs. The cached FDCs though are great. I guess when a non-collector takes a look at my collection the FDC will at least give the reviewer some insight as to when & where the stamp was first issued. The cache, in most cases, provides some history, either written or pictorial, on the reason for the issuance. Over the last several days I have either reviewed the inventories of these vendors for my next purchase or have made a purchase. My recent purchase was quite surprising as I was able to get a 30%+ discount on most of the covers (from listed vendor catalog pricing). I have over 200 items in the mill, waiting for receipt so I can sort, catalog, inventory, and place in my collection. I don't know if these items provide much value to my US collection but I truly enjoy the hunt for uncommon items and the review once they arrive.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33078 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I used to enjoy listing things. I had an exhaustive list of my record collection, plus a notebook of wanted items. Later I had word documents listing my books, with dates read. I seem to have grown out of this in old age,

Similar. But I have yet to grow out of it.
I have Yearly Payments due (water gas elect)
Grocery list
Tradesmans lists
Car repairs
even a list I print for the back door, what to do before leaving
(shopping is a 100km trek, and up the road, that nagging feeling, did I turn off the hotplates?...horrible.

Simple MSWorks databases, can get up in seconds.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   3:16 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. The good thing about picking up FDCs now (as opposed to when collectirs were handing over real mney for them as new issues) is that they're both cheap and a more interesting way of looking at your used stamps. I've bought substantial ranges of French FDC - attractive and about 10p each.
Page: of 145 Previous TopicReplies: 2,170 / Views: 209,621Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05