Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,123 / Views: 205,460Next Topic
Page: of 142
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1982 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicholas, I'm curious about how you acquired the various packets you're now cataloging and mounting?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@shermae

A friend of mine inherited a stamp collection (this is that huge collection I have hinted at a few times in other posts). The friend was not really interested in keeping the collection, but knew that I collected. I was asked for some advice on what to do with the collection and since I'm no real expert in evaluating the worth, I suggested to have it appraised if they really wanted to sell it. I don't know if the friend actually had it appraised, but I did let the friend borrow my 2005 Scott Classic to poke around. Really wanting it to go to a good home, the friend offered me the collection. The jury is still out as to whether or not I will be a good steward for this collection going forward and I have the dilemma that none of my kids are interested. Hoping maybe a future grandchild will love this hobby as much as I do.

With somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 stamps and being somewhat less than well maintained, I had my work cut out for me. The first task was to organize loose stamps and remove all excess stamps from the pages in the 14 over-stuffed International binders. This filled thousands upon thousands of glassines, but I did not catalog during that process as I did not yet have a complete worldwide catalog. The next step, and really a continuing process, is removing from the old acidic pages, cataloging, and remounting the 1840-1940 (some to 1950s) stamps on to nice new pages. As I work on a country or other stamp issuing entity, I also tend to re-sort and catalog everything that is in the glassines since some of those stamps didn't have spaces in the International Part 1 pages. This re-sorting leads to more glassines being used to keep them from being overstuffed as well.

Edited by NicholasC - 07/29/2021 5:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
worked on my 1kg of kiloware. Turns out the first thing I had to do was separate self-adhesive and those with gum.
I don't know about anyone else but I enjoy looking through all those stamps. There are some really nice commemorative stamps, but mostly definitive.

JoanneG
Valued Member
Canada
264 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bowed out on numerous online auction Lots. People are still paying crazy prices, that hasn't died off yet. Two days ago someone paid $600 for some framed Duck stamps that were clearly glued down to a piece of linen. Now that's a risk I would take for $100 but not $600.

https://hibid.com/catalog/297316/me...estate-sale/ Lot 107 folks
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 07/29/2021 6:27 pm
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AstroCachet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased a handful of stamp lots a few weeks go and went through the Polish/Italian portions for the first time with my new tongs. As I'm VERY new to the hobby, this was my first experience of going through a lot of stamps to see what I have. At some point I'll get a proper catalogue, but StampWorld has been very helpful so far. When I joined up, I said that I liked space things, but I've decided to mostly reserve that for covers/autographs. My stamp passion at the moment is the Interwar Period. Inflation, colonies, changing governments, dictators, post-war intrigue, pre-war intrigue; does it get any more exciting than that? I'm loving it at the moment!
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
Posted 07/30/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tikithindi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yesterday and to day I scanned India postage year 2006,2007 Partial,2017,2018 and 2019 Yearly single, and full sheets.
Also to day USPS delivered a order of 2018,2019 and 2020 year books
with Stamp packets.

tikithindi
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered my missing US Airmail stamps. waiting on the arrival of a lot of Russian & Guatemala stamps.

Working on updating my online collection. Having issues with a France SN#113 stamp. I have 2 colors Green & Blue Green. Scott doesn't mention 2 colors or a reissue. So I will be trying to locate an answer. Hello search engine.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5767 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   3:19 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Show us a picture - lots of us collect France.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32805 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 113
Hello SCF
Edited by rod222 - 07/31/2021 8:07 pm
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AstroCachet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went through some 1930s Swedish stamps that I bought, which turned out to include some late 19th/early 20th century official stamps. These grabbed my attention and I did some searching around to find more info. II found a good catalogue on postmarks, but not very much on the stamps themselves. It would be appreciated if someone could point me in a direction to learn more about them. If not, I'll start a dedicated topic and see if anyone has more information.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5767 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   02:36 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Hunting - the 5c Blanc comes in yellow-green, green and blue-green, the last also issued in dark emerald-green. The green version comes in two types, as noted by Rod, and a booklet issue. Plenty to make your eyes pop if you look at a page of them.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rod222.

As always you are most helpful. I'm not going crazy, they really do have different colors.

GeoffHa thanks for the info, it is very helpful. I just wish all the different catalogs would all agree to the same set-up. One catalog says these exist another says these, and yet another ignores them and says they are all one. Makes me nuts.

Thanks again everyone for the help. As always, you all are the best.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5767 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   10:18 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They all have different functions and specialities, so they can't be the same. Scott has more information than Gibbons' Stamps of the World, Gibbons' France catalogue has more information than Scott, Maury has more information still.
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't emphasize this enough: if you collect a specific country (as opposed to WW), get a catalog that specializes in that country. Michel, Yvert, Sakura, whatever. Scott knows USA very well but only lets you dip a toe everywhere else; don't rely on it.
Learn More...
9643 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
… I just wish all the different catalogs would all agree to the same set-up….

Catalogs, like collectors, have different scopes. Many catalogs target general collectors and do not cover specialized level varieties which can number in the hundreds (according to fly-speccers).

I support catalog publishers who serve general collectors, nothing can turn off new collectors more than opening a catalog and seeing countless numbers of varieties. I wish folks would recognize this fact. Pushing for more and more varieties, especially based upon subjective criteria like colors, is fine for specialized collectors but can represent unnecessary challenges for new collectors. General catalogs play an important role in the hobby.
Don
Page: of 142 Previous TopicReplies: 2,123 / Views: 205,460Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05