Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,123 / Views: 205,609Next Topic
Page: of 142
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6626 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish that some specialty catalogs had an English version even if somewhat abridged. I do not speak Russian and likely never will at this point.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
35 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Theosprey247 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorted through some modern Japan with my daughter. Then stared at my Germany on paper, but didn't do anything with them. Browsed Hipstamp for things I don't need.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I finished printing my new album pages for:
Controlled substance tax stamps (state issues marijuana),
Federal Marihuana stamps,

Now I need to move the stamps into them.

Next up: Narcotic, although I really don't have many of those (yet). These are the last of the 11 categories of "Sin Tax" stamp pages/albums.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opened up a box of a several thousand covers that was part of an estate sale that I bought a few years ago and had set aside. I took a look this morning just out of curiosity and found several hundred covers from 1862 to 1920 and about 50 of these signed covers from Congress. A lot of used and unused embossed/stamped covers. Still searching...

Pillar Of The Community
3753 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The congressional free franks you show are all pre-printed facsimiles, rather than actual autographs.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker: Thanks but, I do realize that and it's obvious when examining them. Immediate give away is the M. C. in the lower right corner of the signature. Interesting addition to my officials though. As I go through I've found more, all unique so far.
Pillar Of The Community
3753 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was unsure what you knew, since you had originally called them "signed covers from Congress".
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood, not a problem an assist is always appreciated... I didn't mean "live signature" (autograph). Just signed in the sense of bearing an "authorized" signature, per requirements for such mail, be it preprinted, rubber stamped or other. The original recipient lived in DC and was a stamp collector that did have business with congress so I'm sure he got as many as he could while he could. Looks like he managed to get 58, at least in the lot I bought.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32817 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I support catalog publishers who serve general collectors, nothing can turn off new collectors more than opening a catalog and seeing countless numbers of varieties. I wish folks would recognize this fact. Pushing for more and more varieties, especially based upon subjective criteria like colors, is fine for specialized collectors but can represent unnecessary challenges for new collectors. General catalogs play an important role in the hobby.
Don

Nicely addressed Don and very well explained.

I still go back to Gibbons 1963 general catalogue for designers and engravers.
Each have a role to play.
Edited by rod222 - 08/02/2021 5:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
35 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Theosprey247 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorted modern German from a massive lot I bought last year. Made easier by the Germans printing the year on their stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6626 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spent my day licking my wounds after the Schuyler auction bloodbath. And got nice a stamp from Loral in the mail.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1984 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicholas- sounds like you've got a perfect situation for years of fun.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gr1956stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Continued pulling some of the GB Commonwealth stamps out of a 1950's Worldwide album. Surprising at the number of stamps to be removed and re-placed. Also ,dug into the new American Philatelist that arrived Saturday.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1984 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have become quite addicted to the Mexico Architecture and Archeology series of definitives (1950 - 1975). Enrique Sanchez, one of the gurus (some say THE guru) of the Exporta series stamps, also has created a complete listing of all printings for the Architecture and Archeology series. There are a lot of interesting paper and shade varieties. Over the past 6-7 months I have acquired a fair amount of material for comparison so I will need to organize all the stamps and work on sorting them.

I've been able to find quite a few of the scarcer pieces, which in each case represent a single printing, yet there are a few run-of-the-mill items that I have not been able to find, for example Scott C134, C139, and C220Eq. I suspect the latter stamp is hard to find since it's a shade.

C177c has also been a challenge. Lot's of examples are offered for sale, I suspect due to the high catalog value, but none of them seem different to me than basic C177's. Might be a very difficult shade to ID- I'm not sure yet.
Edited by shermae - 08/03/2021 5:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 08/03/2021   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still taking a break from mounting. Have catalogued the remainder of loose 1940 to 1973+ for the A-C countries, except countries in South America and Czechoslovakia. By loose stamps, I mean anything not still mounted in the old albums (which contain pages from 1940 to 1971) or already remounted on my Steiner+ pages. I am now starting Czechoslovakia, easily a top 10 by volume, so this will take a while.
Page: of 142 Previous TopicReplies: 2,123 / Views: 205,609Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05