Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,169 / Views: 209,396Next Topic
Page: of 145
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
482 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last week I viewed the Zoom symposium on war and postal innovation put on by the Spellman Museum of Stamps and Postal History, specifically the segment on the Paris Balloon Post of 1870-71 by Steven Walske. Thus bolstered with a good, concise and interesting explication, I ventured last night to explain to my wife Balloon Mail, illustrated with a cover I'd bought back in December as a little Christmas present for myself to tuck into my French airmail album as a custom first page.

To my delight she was quite enthusiastic about this piece of postal history and the inventiveness and adventure of the whole enterprise. She did ask how much it cost, but thought the $130 plus buyers premium reasonable for such a neat little survivor from a perilous journey in 1870.

It was carried on L'Archimede, the 27th official post office balloon and so I gave a dramatic reading of the pilot's account of his voyage which is quoted in Louis Chaintrier, Balloon Post of the Siege of Paris 1870-71. The pilot was an utter novice aeronaut! Imagine!

A nice moment to share my enthusiasm with my spouse.
Even let her handle it!

Since we all like pictures, here are recto and verso. The stamp is Yvert 29B on Gazette des Absents no. 8.

Not sure I can get her as enthusiastic about Washington Franklins, but I'll take what I can get....

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/14/2021   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paris balloon mail is a great area.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received 3 (new to me) album collections. Went through them to stabilize them and ensure no more damage was going to happen to them. sorted out Switzerland. Printed a new album for me, Comoro Islands. Adjusted my US BOB section of airmails to see what needs replacing, from Used to Mint, as I can afford it.
This is basically what I do every day, except the countries change. The hunt is better than the value. I have always loved the feeling of what did I get, yes I know I never grew up in that respect. I just love the ones I get no matter what they are. I'm always disappointed when they have been damaged.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mounted some more classic:

Qatar (1 page from 1972)
Reunion
Senegal
Senegambia & Niger
Seychelles
Siberia
Sierra Leone
Singapore

Printed pages for Iran and laying out the stamps. Still need to actually mount El Salvador and a few others already prepared.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last night, I sorted two large tubs of covers by type, issue / denomination and date - in the living room while (semi) watching movies with my family. Dates ranged from 1867 to the mid 1970's. Got them done but it was tiring.

Today, I added more weight to the base and LED lights on 2 goose-neck's to the stand I made a while ago for my digital microscope.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My mother-in-law snagged me 10 1oz bags of stamps at a garage sale for a grand total of $1. Nothing earth shattering, heavy on the Liberty and Presidential series but was able to pull out a couple dozen perfins and pre-cancels. Also a handful of 1920's definitives set aside for checking over later.

Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorted through Pakistan that I had in glassines and started thinning out my Niue to Rio Muni album (1941-1971). It's the fattest album I have left with hundreds and hundreds of stamps still in the margins and on blank pages. This album also includes Iran (still listed as Persia) and I found more classic Iran in the margins (yay, but mostly, if not all, fakes). Sadly, I'm low on glassines yet again and so I need to either buy more or mount more stamps.

Update: Found about 70 empty glassines hiding with Nicaragua. Woo hoo!
Edited by NicholasC - 09/21/2021 01:16 am
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sadly, I'm low on glassines yet again and so I need to either buy more or mount more stamps.

Sounds like a "treat the symptom or treat the disease" kind of issue.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
Posted 09/22/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ordered some Austrian area stamps from a few sellers on Hipstamp to fill some holes.

Dale
Valued Member
Ireland
257 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last week, my wife and I were in County Kerry.
In five days, we visited all 45 post offices in the county and took pics of them all. Also obtained Stamps on a Roll from the four post offices that I did not have. Saw some amazing scenery and drove up the most dangerous road we have ever seen.
But as we were told "you should have gone up the other side".

As always, 90% of people think that taking pics of every Irish post office and getting a stamp issued in each one is some kinda madness.
The other side of the coin is that 10% of people think its a cool thing to do. I was lucky enough to meet a person from County Mayo who said they would get me some SOARs from the only post office in Mayo that I dont have.

To my surprise, she sent me a letter containing SOARs from Clare Island (which as the name suggests) is off-shore and has a population of less than 150 people.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
289 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   12:00 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At 5:00 AM this morning, I took a comma out of a sentence for a posting on the SCF forum.
At 10:00 AM this morning, I put it back in...
Still thinking about whether I should make the post, or not.

John
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   12:17 pm  Show Profile Check ddaann's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ddaann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Commas can save lives
Let's eat, Grandma!
Let's eat Grandma!
I'm ddaannv on eBay and Dan's Stamps on HipStamp
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2015 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coordinated various logistics and materials for FLOREX in Orlando this December. Will be representing Stanley Gibbons Auctions so would love to meet anyone who attends the show. Please come say hello.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3150 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I finish mounting stamps from Burma and now have another number one. Burma No. 1 (Scott).
Al
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tikithindi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To day received envelope used world stamps. Last 3 days organized
and scanned India stamps from 2009 to 2012 and USA from 2008 to 2019
years of all mint stamps.

cheers
tikithindi
Page: of 145 Previous TopicReplies: 2,169 / Views: 209,396Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05