Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,322 / Views: 220,387Next Topic
Page: of 155
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 10/01/2021   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moved some Russia stamps from my Voyager album to my Statesman album. Didn't do much today.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally got around to sorting and mounting GB Machin's that I had sitting around in stockbooks and glassines. Was able to come up with 84 different up until 1991, about 1/2 mint and 1/2 used. (definition of different is basic value and color, not going down the rabbit hole any further than that). Printed the pages out of the album easy GB album, with a little reconfiguring. Also mounted a few mixed value strips and reader's digest strips (which I also had matching covers).
Edited by Gibby01 - 10/05/2021 12:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2049 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found 2 Netherlands Colonies stamps I needed on Delcampe. You have to really be creative when searching on Delcampe as Scott is not the standard, nor is any other catalog for that matter. While some Dutch dealers use NVPH numbers, some don't so you also have to search the year of issue. Even then, it's easy to miss gems hidden in the listings. To be thorough, you sometimes have to search by country names in a native language. For example, unique hits occur when searching for "Liban" instead Lebanon. And in the case of Netherlands Antilles, it doesn't hurt to try both Nederland Antillen and Curacao.

After finding the 2 stamps, I took a shot and sent the rest of my Netherlands area want list to the seller. But I was skeptical- sellers normally list all their items, right? As it turns out, he was able to fill 9 of my 11 missing stamps. Deal done; I'm ecstatic.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34186 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As it turns out, he was able to fill 9 of my 11 missing stamps. Deal done; I'm ecstatic.

Success through endeavor
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3290 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was cross checking my regional Machins and pictorial issues and this involved using the new edition of the Deegam Handbook (HB5).

The basic structure did not change (many cross linked PDF files) but the organization is a little different There is more focus on indexes. Also, some pages had been split into separate PDFs. As you navigate around, you will end up with a lot of open PDF files. The handbook is not a simple quick identifier. It still does not seem to work when stored on an online site (like OneDrive) and try to navigate on a phone or tablet running Android.

The images have been significantly improved.

Al
Edited by angore - 10/05/2021 08:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1074 Posts
Posted 10/05/2021   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Found 2 Netherlands Colonies stamps I needed on Delcampe. You have to really be creative when searching on Delcampe as Scott is not the standard, nor is any other catalog for that matter. While some Dutch dealers use NVPH numbers, some don't so you also have to search the year of issue. Even then, it's easy to miss gems hidden in the listings. To be thorough, you sometimes have to search by country names in a native language. For example, unique hits occur when searching for "Liban" instead Lebanon. And in the case of Netherlands Antilles, it doesn't hurt to try both Nederland Antillen and Curacao.

It can be a challenge certainly, as sellers can use any/several of Scott,SG, Michel, Yvert, or country specific catalogues, although Michel and Yvert are most common. I find the best way is to filter by the right category first, and then search within that. Delcampe is quite detailed on their categories (especially for European countries/colonies) and they even have moderators that will correct mis-categorized listings.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, it's been like 10 days since I last posted. Mounting is going slowly these days due to other activities. I grabbed another full set of Steiner pages the other day. I mounted what I had for classic Obock, Oltre Giuba, Oman, Orange River Colony, Ponta Delgada, Pitcairn Islands, Pakistan (1947 to 1955), Palestine, and Papua. Still need to mount Philippines, Poland, El Salvador, Iran, and San Marino. After that, I'll be taking another pass through the M and N countries still in the old International albums to see what needs to come out.
Edited by NicholasC - 10/11/2021 11:11 am
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Put away the last of my Austria collection that I recently (about 3 months ago, lol) purchased. Then started organizing and getting ready to mount my Dahomey stamps.

So many Countries and so little time.

Edited by Stamp Hunting - 10/10/2021 4:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
567 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spent a couple/few hours a day for the past 3 days presorting stamps on paper (hinged/stuck) followed by binge sessions soaking/sweating 1880-1930s stamps off. I'd estimate that I have about 800+ done and I am about half way through. I'll do the rest tonight and over the next couple days.
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 10/11/2021   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found an envelope at some point I had filled with a hundred or so used US modern stamps. I sorted those and added about 35 to my collection as edge varieties!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
340 Posts
Posted 10/14/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I gave my first full length presentation to a Philatelic society. About 1hour 40 minutes. A visual dictionary of stamp terms and phrases. I think it went well, no one fell asleep or walked out. After the initial nerves I enjoyed myself.
Last week I went to a Stamp auction run by a small time auction in Scarborough England. I looked at 44 lots, bid on 18 lots and got 11 lots. For about $15 US I got 1 new Stanley Gibbons large Senator binder, another as good as new, 1 similar binder in equally good condition and 2 Springback binders meant for now obselete sizes of paper. THe 3 big items all came with new pages. The stamps were GB Seahorses in different shades of ink and some Victorian era stamps.
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amtrak had a fare sale and yesterday I took the Empire Builder for a day trip between Pasco, WA and Portland, OR. The bulk of the day was spent at the Uptown Stamp Show brick and mortar shop and I came home with some nice material.
Edited by moneil - 10/15/2021 7:21 pm
Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arranged for shipping from two different auction houses. I now have three packages on the way. Delivery times don't seem to be all that much better yet.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spent lunch pondering whether German se-tenants (Zusammendrucke) or French gutter-pairs (millÚsimes) are next on the list of worlds to conquer, lol.
Valued Member
India
7 Posts
Posted 10/15/2021   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add taklya to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spent 2 hours designing album pages for India Pre independence stamps.

Page: of 155 Previous TopicReplies: 2,322 / Views: 220,387Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05