Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,227 / Views: 214,018Next Topic
Page: of 149
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1056 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
crispinhj,

Quote:
I've screwed my courage to the sticking point and started trying to sort the Brazilian definitives 1918 - 1941 by watermark.

I did that exercise last winter. Good luck!

The Brazil Philatelic Association has a great guide to sort through those issues.
http://www.brazilphilatelic.org/ide...k-alikes.htm

Since you are in the UK, you probably are using the SG catalog. It may not be as helpful because it is geared to the Scott catalog but it will give you a good method to follow.

Dan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since you are in the UK, you probably are using the SG catalog

thanks for the reference Danstamps54, I'll certainly check that out. Actually although UK based I find the Scott catalogues generally much easier and better to use, especially the Classic 1840 - 1940, which captures very nearly all these stamps.

Also my main reference as a starting point is the superb Big Blue blog entry

http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.co...1Stamps.html

which does a great job of differentiating them, and of course is based on the Scott catalogue. Many thanks Jim I'd be struggling without your blog with so many countries!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rod222, I'd prefer to drink coffee but I find tea doesn't give me the shakes or chest pains like coffee does!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1056 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
crispinhj,

Quote:
Also my main reference as a starting point is the superb Big Blue blog entry

It is one of my go-to sites!

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
APS Member #223433
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33518 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd prefer to drink coffee but I find tea doesn't give me the shakes or chest pains like coffee does!

I like my tea, but love coffee, there's nothing quite like brewed coffee.

Alas! a couple of years ago, I began to have incontinence, and reading up on coffee scared the jeebies out of me.

I ditched coffee (sadly) am fine now.

Except with friends at a cafe, that is hell, dealing with the aroma.

Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Printed pages for classic Spain and laid out the stamps. Going to do the same for Spanish * countries and then Sweden and Switzerland.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3197 Posts
Posted 10/28/2021   06:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mounting stamps from Singapore.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
516 Posts
Posted 10/28/2021   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

danstamps54.

Thanks for sharing the link to the Brazilian spreadsheet. This series certainly must rank as one of the more challenging to identify.

As I suspect is the case with many WW collectors, I tend to set these issues aside awaiting the proverbial "rainy day".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1056 Posts
Posted 10/28/2021   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Calstamp,

You're welcome!

The Brazilian definitive series was my 2020 "Covid lockdown/Winter" project. The spreadsheet made it a lot easier.

Now to get to those pesky Washington-Franklin stamps. That's another series that will make your eyes cross!

Dan
APS Member #223433
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 10/31/2021   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Sweden and Switzerland printed and stamps are laid out and ready for final pass and mounting.

Next up: Turkey
Hope I finish before Thanksgiving!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A friend asked me to look at some old family stamps which he's had for many years and knows nothing about. 'Honest Injun', it was two cigar boxes (White Owl and El Roi-Tan).

One stuffed full of mostly world wide stamps. Some on paper many curled up and a few MNH. All from around the late 1800s early 1900's with just a few newer. Other then sentimental value of being his grandfathers, I doubt that there is anything that breaks a buck or two in catalog value.

I sorted them and put them in glassines for the moment to help organize and flatten them. Unfortunately someone taped a number of them to slips of paper, a long time ago. At minimum, I'll press the the curled and organize them all in a decent stock book for him with as much as I can do in the way of identification.

The other box holds envelopes with an almost completed set of commemorative plate blocks from 1962-69 plus a good number multiples with different plate numbers.

Being a US collector, I'm not up on world wide issues so I might post a few for help.

Who knows maybe I'll convert him into a stamp collector
Valued Member
Ireland
261 Posts
Posted 11/01/2021   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect stamps for a charity. Got an email last week "we have a few (sic) stamps for you"
Picked them up at weekend. The "few" are actually a couple of thousand and while not particuarly interesting, I am sure the charity will be happy.
Due to Covid, a lot of ordinary activity has stopped. This is a refreshing sign of normality.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today was a milestone day.
I made my first purchase on HipStamp. :P

JoanneG
Pillar Of The Community
United States
635 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Attended The Knoxville Stamp Club meeting. I think I spent $5.85 on a few stamps of Memel.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3197 Posts
Posted 11/03/2021   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mounting purchases from Stamporama and sent a membership application to the Society of Indo-China Philatelist. Dues was just $5.
Al
Page: of 149 Previous TopicReplies: 2,227 / Views: 214,018Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05