Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,503 / Views: 235,968Next Topic
Page: of 167
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally reported my shipment missing in action. Supposedly I'll get a refund and if it ever shows up, I'll repay the dealer. I'd rather just get the stamps I ordered.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mounted classic Mozambique (146 stamps), Monaco (140), and Netherlands (302).

Added: Niger (89), Nigeria (50), Norfolk Island (4), and Middle Congo (37)

Added: Malta (114)

That brings me to 1227 this year.
Edited by NicholasC - 01/31/2022 07:16 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
71 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I spent a few hours continuing to organize everything I pulled out of totes/boxes/whatever when I got back into the hobby. So many glassines just filled with randomness.

Also spent some time on the forum reading multiple interesting topics. I really look forward to seeing how much I learn this coming year.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3403 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am still working with Indochina and Vietnam related stamps. The political turmoil is reflected in the stamp subjects.

One that made me smirk was a South Vietnam issue commemorating World Refugee Year. The country was creating refugees due the guerilla war during this period including forced resettlement programs.

Al
Edited by angore - 01/31/2022 07:01 am
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I won a collection from CKStamps on eBay last week. I've been sorting through the stamps and organizing them for my albums. I got allot of German States stamps and Third Reich issues.
Dang I love stamp collecting
Joanne
Valued Member
Canada
494 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last night I won a small Lot including some very scarce Canadian Excise stamps. Now have some great missing ones like 12c and the holy 13c.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timbre-poste to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally reached my 10,000th stamp scanned, identified and entered into my stamp software. I'm enjoying each and every one! Only 25,000 to go. Hope to be done with this step in about 24 months.
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mounted Manchukuo (101) and Martinique (133) and Iraq 1941 to end of Kingdom (167).

Up next are Mauritius and Mauritania.
Edited by NicholasC - 02/05/2022 12:49 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
497 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going through an old collection I bought at auction, up to India. Found an inverted watermark on the KGVI 4anna 'mail train' which catalogues at 90, unfortunately with a badly pulled corner perf!
Regards
DavidR
Valued Member
Ireland
291 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's been a very good week for my SOAR (stamps on a roll) Ireland collection.
Each post office has a unique number and working off a list of 935 offices from 2018, I always thought it was Mission Improbable that I would be able to track down them all.
A week ago, I had a Wants List of 25 SOARS but thanx to receiving 19 from a collector in England, there are now just 6 on my list.
So now it is Mission Possible.

Linked to this, I now have taken photographs of 597 post offices.
I travel twice a week (all free on public transport) to the bigger cities and get about 6-8 pics in a week.
This of course remains Mission Impossible as many of the remaining post offices are in remote areas.
Still able to keep up with new issues but I need to get back into mainstream and visit my favourite kiloware supplier.

The SOARS and post office pics are in many ways a diversion from the mainstream. I find that it has breathed some new life into collecting.

Valued Member
Cyprus
136 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I now have taken photographs of 597 post offices

Doing something like that during Apartheid era South Africa would have gotten one arrested and in a whole lot of trouble. Taking photographs of public buildings, including post offices was a criminal offence. I'm not sure to what extent it was carried out but I guess the colour of your skin would have played a big roll in how it was handled.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
511 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Doing something like that during Apartheid era South Africa would have gotten one arrested and in a whole lot of trouble.

Several members of the Post Mark Collectors Club have reported contact with both local police and Postal Inspectors during their travels to record photographs of post offices here in the United States.

One such collector and photographer, who prefers his photograph to be clear of cars in front and with a flag flying, travels on Sunday, and often has to run his own flag up the flagpole to get his picture. He learned very quickly that it was wise to have his name printed on the edge of the flag to show the local police that he was not stealing government property when he removed it.

The Post Mark Collectors Club has photographs over over 30,000 photographs of post offices on their website, which can be viewed by state at http://www.postmarks.org/photos/
Learn More...
United States
10547 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   09:31 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank Mike, I was writing a similar response...

The explosion of phone/cameras have certainly changed things over the last decade and taking photos in public places may now raise a bit less attention. Given that so many folks now walk around with a camera (phone) on their person all day long, laws and policies may not have kept up. For example, bringing a camera/phone into a company that wants to protect intellectual properties or a medical facility where HIPAA laws apply.
Don
Valued Member
Ireland
291 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re photographs.

It is not against the law. After all, the General Post Office is the most photographed building in the country.
I have only encountered one problem ever. That was in a Dublin suburb and I was using an ipad. After I was moving away, the Postmaster came after me to ask what I was doing. And happy enough when I explained. His fear was that I was maybe scouting for a robbery. Post Offices are easy targets.

I often tell staff what I am going to do. Nobody has ever said no. There is of course a security dimension and I am always careful to ask "permission" before taking a photograph when a post office is a private dwelling or attached to a private dwelling.
THe biggest problem is not the post office itself but rather "timing".
People going in and out of post offices are going about their legitimate business..buying a stamp, withdrawing a pension, paying a TV licence and are entitled to privacy. Likewise visible car registrations and young children about, I would call back later or abandon until another day.
Often after 5.30pm, when the post office is closed for the day is just as good as in opening hours, if there is enough daylight.

The bottom line is that I could not do what I do without the active co-operation of post office staff. More will close in next year or so and I am on their side. Many Stamp collectors of course take a narrow view that post offices are just about stamps but they are part of communities and the staff appreciate that.

As I have lived in North of Ireland all my life, I am well aware that taking pics of police stations, British security bases would have been illegal.
But Republic of Ireland is pretty relaxed.
The other side of the coin is that every post office has a CCTV system and I appear on them.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
511 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For a number of years - and this was a few years ago - I traveled Texas and took photographs of post offices. The only restriction I ran into is that the USPS policy was that no photographs were to be taken inside the building without permission. As a rule, I was not interested in the inside of a building unless it had an interesting architectural feature.

The only places I really encountered this as a problem were in privately operated Contract Postal Units. Occasionally the store manager stated it was against their internal company policy to allow photographs. without permission from the home office.

Mike
Page: of 167 Replies: 2,503 / Views: 235,968Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05