Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,512 / Views: 236,560Next Topic
Page: of 168
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35546 Posts
Posted 06/20/2022   03:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today I got distracted and forgot to bid on something that I really need for one of my collections. Someone else got it for a winning bid of only $1.25.

Happens to us all.
Did you not have the opportunity to lay a bid prior ? snipe etc?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 06/20/2022   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today I got distracted and forgot to bid on something that I really need for one of my collections.

Same thing happened to me last night. I found a nice set of 1893 Columbia envelope entires I wanted for trimming down to cut squares. The examples I have are not evenly sized or cut squarely. These would have been a nice upgrade at a reasonable price.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I won a bid on eBay for a stamp album from the 1950s, I think. Anyway the album stated 100 years of stamps. So I expected stamps from 1850 to 1950. Sure enough, there was a ton of 1880s stamps from around the world. I've been spending my time carefully removing the stamps from the album which has acidic paper to my stock book. The oldest stamp I found was from 1849-50, I do believe.
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been tackling Yemen and the sheikdoms (except Abu Dhabi) that formed the UAE in 1971 and 1972. I have hundreds of stamps across these areas, but most are not in my Scott catalog. Having a heck of a time cataloging without the Michel catalog, but I'm working through it. Steiner seems to have pages for most of these, but I'm not planning to mount at the moment, only catalog and add to my count.

I know Scott started adding listings in 2020, but I'm years from buying another set of catalogs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1290 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   05:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you not have the opportunity to lay a bid prior ? snipe etc?

I had intended to deal with that after breakfast, but then I got a call from my nephew and spent a while on the phone with the relatives, including my dad (it was Father's Day). After I got off the phone, I got distracted by other things and forgot all about the auction until about half an hour after it ended.

On the bright side, I remembered early enough to place bids on a couple of things that were ending later that afternoon, and I won both of those for about 25% of Scott CV.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6474 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   05:19 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicholas - there was quite a lot of material about Yemeni stamps on this thread

http://goscf.com/t/10793&whichpage=...dom,of,yemen

The "unrecognised" issues begin seventy years ago!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3407 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicholas,

I am in the same boat with the Arabian peninsula but I do have a Michel catalog. Scott has added several countries in the last few years but not going to buy the extracted pages for them either. I have mounted what Steiner has pages for but have stopped. there. They will likely remain on Vario pages but with a little more organization, I do like some of the designs. It is actually nice to see some paintings in a size that does justice to the painting.

Modern stamps make these issues actually seem collectible...who needs Buzz Lightyear.

Al
Edited by angore - 06/22/2022 06:30 am
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Took a break last night, went on class trip to Six Flags Great Adventure today with my son, so had to be up early.

But in stamp news, I ran out of paper a few days ago, no more in stock at multiple local stores, they said to order it online, but it's not the same paper!!! even though the package says the same weight, color, and type. Very disappointed. Apparently it's only carried in the store and there is not ETA for more.
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bah. Was putting stamps away last night and dropped my tongs and they got stuck in my chair. I still haven't been able to figure out where they are.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35546 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   01:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
dropped my tongs

Hope they were not the long pointies! be careful.

My finger and thumb was a great knitter, she sat on the lounge one day,
and a needle went through her knee.

Try fishing with a large magnet.

Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hope they were not the long pointies! be careful.

No, it was fine. They just slipped down the side of the chair and I had to disassemble things to find them.
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mounted another 154 stamps for Jordan, 50 for Laos, 110 for Italy-Trieste, and 44 for Yugoslavia-Trieste. I was going to spell it Jugoslavia, but I'm wondering if that is frowned upon. I actually prefer the older spelling.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
610 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Using AlbumEasy I built pages for Mexico, Iceland, and Paraguay for my topical 1939 New York Worlds Fair album. Here's Paraguay once I filled it.

edited to add, "once I filled it"
Edited by jleb1979 - 06/25/2022 8:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7957 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jleb1979, I love the job you did with that page. Work like that shows why I love to work with Album Easy and make my pages just like I want them!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3407 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pages.
Al
Page: of 168 Previous TopicReplies: 2,512 / Views: 236,560Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05