Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,598 / Views: 246,201Next Topic
Page: of 174
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3505 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here a part of my collection of clear mounts, I put some colored pieces of paper to improve the appearance! (impish grin),

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6693 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   06:37 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting idea, Al. But I doubt if it will catch on.

I've just been sweating over the scanner, getting various French and colonies lots onto eBay. The mountain is slightly declining in size.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Binders all pretty much alphabetical now. Went back to A to start cleaning up anything not mounted due to not having the right size mounts. Along the way I laid out additonal Afghanistan, Australia, and Canada to 1959. Created pages for a handful of Large OS and Medium OS perfin Officials for Austria.
Valued Member
Canada
19 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canuck55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I worked through my small collection of New Zealand health stamp covers
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spent the night catching up on topics on the Stamp Community Forum.
Valued Member
Canada
23 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wayner_11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I seriously thought of opening a sealed stamp and coin set. I have the Canadian $10 Blue Whale from 2010, still shrinkwrapped in the wooden case. I know what it looks like inside, but it's never been opened. How can people buy 10 or 15 annual collections and never open them?
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started working on my airplane collection that I had wanted to do for a long time. I plan on doing them by continents. any suggestions would be appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finished mounting Afghanistan, Australia, Canada out to 1959, and some other various extras. Was about 500 stamps. Nothing planned as far as mounting right now, so it's back to cataloging items in glassines. Working on U.A.R. Egypt and Syria at the moment.
Valued Member
Cyprus
146 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Printed Steiner pages up to 1970 for Poland, would have gone through to 1990 if I hadn't run out of paper. This should keep me busy for a while.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6693 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   3:26 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Carried on winnowing. Currently putting together cheap and cheerful clear-out lots of European material for eBay. At last I can see an appreciable diminution in the rows of stock-books and boxes of envelopes.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spent many hours over the past few days trying to identify charity / revenue / local stamps of various countries (primarily Spain and Turkey, but I have many hundreds, if not thousands, of these kinds of stamps from all around the world). I also decided to check / verify watermarks on QEII stamps of Great Britain since I had hundreds of them glassines and blank spaces on the pages I had printed a while ago. Doing this without watermark fluid or other detection equipment is quite maddening. I identified what I could (with reasonable certainty) and put the rest back into glassines as unknown. If I really feel ambitious, I will place the used stamps into a bowl of water to see if that helps.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   2:13 pm  Show Profile Check ddaann's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ddaann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicholas C -- should be easy to find yellow-bottle Ronsonol Excellent watermark fluid. Use in a black watermark dish (probably available at Subway Stamps) or other black or very dark surface.
I'm ddaannv on eBay and Dan's Stamps on HipStamp
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I second ddaann's motion.
Ronsonal (lighter fluid) works quite well.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3505 Posts
Posted 08/27/2022   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have more Cambodian stamps to mount and will have Zambia soon.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/27/2022 06:46 am
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
Posted 08/27/2022   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have clarified. I do have watermark fluid and a tray, but the problem with many stamps is the fluid usually evaporates before I can positively tell which watermark it is since some are very very similar. I'm not looking to just spend money on as much fluid as I need, and certainly not on stamps that aren't very valuable. I'm successful in well over 50 percent of the stamps just by using light or laying the stamps on a piece of black paper or glass. Water in a dark bowl works great for used stamps, but then I have to deal with the drying.
Page: of 174 Replies: 2,598 / Views: 246,201Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05