Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,629 / Views: 251,649Next Topic
Page: of 176
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4769 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dived into the world of Panama "Canal Zone"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prepared Bolivia to 1940 for mounting. I created custom pages to cover spaces provided in 1947 International Part I. I also created pages for the Paris printing (thick paper) of the 1894 Coat of Arms and the Guaqui-La Paz Railroad stamps (issued in 1915 according to Scott, but other material says 1914, anyone know the correct year?). I have a full set of blocks of 4 for the railroad stamps, but they seem to be the crude typographed forgeries.

Started going through Argentina to 1940. Not sure I want to create custom pages here (or for Brazil). Watermarks of Argentina are sometimes a challenge.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6874 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   09:54 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed. It didn't take me too long to decide that my life would be worsened by spending it on ascertaining Argentine and Brazilian watermarks.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bought more used stamps, why??? Received some nice older Pakistan stamps though.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Feeling a bit frustrated since finding what appears to be mold (or other moisture residue) on some stamps from Brazil that I had remounted 30 years ago (in clear mounts). Now I'm pulling all the stamps from that album. I am wondering if these stamps were soaked to remove old hinge remnants and did not completely dry.

Update: So far, found 4 stamps I didn't already have for my Steiner pages, two precancels from Belgium, a 3 hole punch official stamp from Hungary, and Italy Scott #110 which has as 2019 catalog value of $30.
Edited by NicholasC - 09/18/2022 4:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few days ago, I finished pulling stamps from that album (was a 1947 International Part I). Had 1200+ stamps in it (now it has zero). Luckily I didn't find any more that had moisture. Today, just finished going through all those that I pulled and 61 of them, with pretty good certainty, are adds to my unique count! I'm quite thrilled about that. Now back to mounting classic Brazil.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Completed first pass of classic Brazil. Pages are printed and most stamps laid out. Watermarks are again problematic, but I'm working through them. Unfortunately, some of the Steiner frames are way too small and I found an incorrect watermark description on at least one page. I'll have to redo the pages and print again.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finished mounting Brazil regular issues to 1940. Wound up being 234 unique stamps. Will work on back of book next, then on to Colombia or Ecuador.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3570 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am back working on my custom Machin pages. I decided to scale back on some of the more obscure varieties.
Al
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brazil back of book mounted to 1940. Fairly sparse at only 73 stamps, but at least it's done.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
514 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Destroyed the stockbook mentioned in the thread 'Removing stamps from paper', to free up a load of stuck down cinderellas. Had to be done, as Rod222 said. Full drying book now, the rest to soak tomorrow.
Regards
DavidR
Valued Member
Cyprus
155 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finished mounting Poland 1950-1990 on Steiner pages but have realized that there must be a few more glassines lying around somewhere.
Also noticed that I must have left 1918-1949 stamps back in Cyprus, probably with the missing 1950-90 stamps
I have also set aside some varieties - mostly perf, in a stock book until I get around to make some pages for them.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Moose, that range of years had to take some time! My collection only goes to 1973 or so, so I cannot image how much more exists in the 17 years that follow. I also keep my minor varieties aside (away from the duplicate piles), but in my case, since I use sheet protectors for each page, I put the varieties into a glassine and slip behind the page in the binder. This keeps the stamps near where they need to be and helps with the my unique count.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6874 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   11:28 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "things I've put off" pile chiefly involves getting things ready for eBay, but I've been having a go at the French back-of-book part of my collection. Organising parcel posts (only have a small selection of those) and checking for the varieties on precancels. Also had my flu jab, so quite a constructive day.
Valued Member
Cyprus
155 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@NicholasC, pretty much like Hungary - its probably the same for all the East European countries at the time, loads of large sets and semi-postals etc. It was also a lesson learned though, I need to organise my acquisitions better rather than just piling things in glassines, I figured sorting out by decade would be sufficient, famous last words. It took more time sorting the stamps out that it did mounting them.

@GeofHa, looking forward to your next offerings, have been interested in quite a bit of your stuff but I've always been bumped out at the last second
Page: of 176 Previous TopicReplies: 2,629 / Views: 251,649Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05