Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2212 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice shelving!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2212 Posts
Posted 12/16/2018   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am back into organizing. I added some country title pages, created a country list (in Scott order) to assist with keeping notes on pages to add, etc, and reorganized some shelving to get more space. Also, I got in some stamps from SOR and mounted those. Once again, I got a few stamps that I already had.
Al
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/16/2018   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My latest acquisition is a set of MNH States of Jersey revenues that range in face value from 5 pence to 500 pounds, and since the Channel Islands pound trades at par with the British pound, the high values of this set represent a staggering amount of money, as opposed to the hyper inflation values of 1923 Germany or 1945 Hungary. I think they were issued in the early 1970's. I don't know much about these stamps, they are overprinted "Specimen" which I believe means they are demonetized or taken out of service. I don't know what their purpose was other than I suppose for governmental use, but what would the high values have been used for? Considering what I paid for them, about 9 pounds for the set of 13 from a dealer in Jersey, I'm sure they aren't worth much, and I don't even know of a catalogue that lists them, but I bought them because there's a small section in my Schaubek Great Britain album for the early Channel Islands Occupation stamps, and I thought these would add a bit of fun mainly for the novelty value of having stamps with a face value of 100 and 500 pounds.
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   05:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this strange item on eBay

Valued Member
Australia
11 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   06:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SoberBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been gifted even more Finnish collection stamps. I've got a looooooot of simple copies, so its mostly going through, sorting out one or two full set of each, and seeing what I want to do with the rest.

This has been fascinating, because as an aussie, so many of these stamps get flogged off for big bucks here. But na, got this haul from a mate whose dad died recently. Did a pretty alright job of keeping them. Was really into esparanto too.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3513 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
waddsbadds:

http://www.jamesbendon.com/ ... my go-to-guy for UPU Specimen stamps

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3996 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have spend today and the past weekend breaking down that 3 of 17 carton lot that I got at auction . It was a fun time and 2 gallons of sweat ice tea helped .
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrotherSquint to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorted through some APS circuit books to find these missing stamps for my collection.

Edited by BrotherSquint - 12/17/2018 11:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
610 Posts
Posted 12/18/2018   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Starting to make pages for my Malaya/Malaysia collection after getting my database updated first using Stampmates so that it included all varieties in Gibbons, Scott, Michel and the Malaysian-produced International Stamp & Coin Catalog.

(photoshop trimmed the sides so imagine this centered on page, images don't go right to the edge!)

Might look crowded, but this is just a guide to the stamp location on vario pages that will be opposite this page in my album. So it's more of a "key" than an album page, but makes it easy for me to quick reference what stamps are which on the Vario page without having to haul the catalogs out.

Got the latest version of AlbumEasy, love the changes made since the previous batch of album pages I made for Singapore earlier this year, much easier to use syntax to create the pages.
APS #173088
Check out my philately blog at http://djcmhphilately2.blogspot.com/
Edited by DJCMHOH - 12/18/2018 7:11 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
158 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just polished off another package of 1000 hinges while going through a large accumulation of Canada acquired from a fellow SCF member. As I define success as 'getting stamps into the album' (vs. just accumulating, which I excel at), this feels like progress.
Valued Member
Canada
239 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today, finally started in on my German accumulation, with the hopes of turning it into a collection over the Christmas break :)

Lots of good stuff - Berlin, Empire, Third Reich, occupations of all kinds from both wars, plebiscites, BRD (only weak in DDR, which I'm fine with). It's been sitting mostly unsorted in too many envelopes, 102 cards, old mini stock books, portions in a dozen albums - you get the picture.

It's taken me a year to get to it, wanted to sort out my Canada and WW classic first. Should keep me busy for awhile, that's for sure!
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorting through a shoebox of Worldwide, adding a few to my album and making 100 different packets to get rid of my duplicates. Been at it for days now, and about half way through. Should keep me busy through January, and considering it's winter then that's a good thing.
Valued Member
Cyprus
97 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   03:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arrived home for the holidays (I work in the UK) and tried to make sense of recent acquisitions only to realize that I just don't have the time or energy to start sorting and adding to albums. I did manage to mount some Australia and New Zealand as well as bringing my want lists up to date but that still leaves Poland, Hungary, Italy and some recent British Commonwealth (about 10000 stamps)that need mounting. Popped down to the Cyprus Post Philatelic Services to pick up my standing order and just put them in the 'to sort into albums' box which has started to split down the seams. Resigned myself to take some of the albums I inherited from my dad back to the UK with me to work on them a bit until I manage to get back home.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1026 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorting through several auctions' worth of precancels (about 3,000 or so).

Also working on database files and scans, catching up on some journal reading, as well as Linn's.

Lots and lots of stamps to keep me busy for decades!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
494 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   6:13 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drove 2 hours, one way, to purchase $40.00 in stamps and help an older colleague with fakes in hi collection of persia..it was a fun day!
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05