Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 83
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
Posted 02/01/2019   2:48 pm  Show Profile Check wkusau's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last night I attended the Holston Stamp Club 5th Thursday bourse. I searched through some old dealer stock pages of early US looking for unidentified double transfers, split grills, plate flaws, ect. I found a 88 with a split grill, a 280a lilac brown variety, and a 157 with an experimental grill. Of course, I got them out again this morning with better lighting, a more thorough comparison with catalogs and found that I had made 2 mistakes. The 88 was in fact a 94 with a split grill. The 157 turned out to be a 135 with a poor grill impression. The top row of grills was complete but very faint thus making it to wide for an experimental grill. Also the fact that there is no secret mark pretty much guaranteed that it was a 135. I enjoyed the search and am happy with the stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 02/01/2019   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Read up on gum roller ridges as they appear on U.S. stamps so that HOPEFULLY I won't have to post a question here :-)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
158 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last night worked on B station cancels for my Belgium Parcel Post and Railway Cancels collection. Added stamps to existing pages and created new pages for Bastogne, Blandain, Beernem, Braine L Alleud, Bortmeerbeek and Braives. Had one I couldn't figure out from my list, Biers--. Maybe Bierbeek...time for the microscope. Today: C stations!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
25359 Posts
Posted 02/09/2019   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Had one I couldn't figure out from my list, Biers--. Maybe Bierbeek..

Could be Bierset-Awans (Rail Line 36)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2012 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I learned that the daughter of a man who designed a dozen or more U.S. Stamps lives up the block.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been sorting Spain and realized that I have way more than I thought.

I have done exactly that! Stamps have very much taken a back seat for a while I did bits and pieces of work on our house and my sister's kitchen and did stuff a couple of days every week on the Heritage Railway I volunteer on.

I went through four or five of the shoe box sized boxes of world wide stamps sorted by country into glassines and packets. I usually divide a country's stamps up by era if there are enough to warrant it. I then combined odd packets from each box and put them where I could into boxes for single countries or groups of countries. Very soothing and enjoyable.

But I did discover an astonishing number of middle period and modern stamps from Spain - enough to have to find a box for Spain alone
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1075 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a busy day of it. I visited Stampex in London this morning (busy, as the picture shows) and spent too much money. On returning home I finished a couple of displays for a Saturday meeting of the South African Collectors Society ("Postal stationery forerunners in occupied German South West Africa" and "Postal censorship during the military occupation of German South West Africa"), baked bread at the same time (1.6 kg bauernbrot, a very easy yeasted milk bread) and this evening sorted out a large lot of Estonia postal stationery I bought recently. Posts to the appropriate section of this community coming soon, once I get some sleep...!
Valued Member
Costa Rica
20 Posts
Posted Today  47 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tome-chichi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are my 2 cents on philately during the XXI century: http://estampillascr.com/blog/tips-...xxi-century/
Page: of 83  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05