Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today OR Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I finished sorting out and putting in stockbooks or Varios sheets by Scott number Denmark, Greenland, Faroe Islands, Indonesia (almost, I found a couple more glassines), St Pierre and Miquelon, Tannu Tuva, Laos, and Mongolia. Today I'm working on Liechtenstein and Luxembourg and have modern Sweden soaking. I have been buying more at auction than I can go through. I also ordered mounts from Global Stamps to start mounting my Mongolia pre 1960 collection on Minkus pages. I have a hard time passing up $150-200 boxes of WW material from Vance.

Jackie
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started working through a couple hundred rocket and missile mail I have to begin building my exhibition, yet to be named...
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4070 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up some blank leaves from the Yvert shop in rue Drouot yesterday. I was the only customer in (I think) the only stamp shop open in the street.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I finally completed my mint U.S. airmail collection. I keep the bulk (value anyway) housed in a hingeless Davo album. To my way of thinking the Davo album is nice, but has some quirks. One of the quirks is that in the airmail section, next to C25, it calls for a "6 cent red coil." This was unusual because a) the Davo album is really weak on spaces allowed to coils in general issues, and b) I couldn't for the life of me find a coil issue for C25. I probably puzzled over this 5 or 6 times pulling out my U.S. Specialized Scott Catalogue and scanning for mention of a coil, to no avail. I intended to post this information on this forum asking if anyone knew what they wanted in this space. Before I did so I saw that there was a booklet for this issue and the coil they were asking for was apparently a single from one3 of these booklet panes. So off to eBay I went and purchased one and in 3 or 4 days I'll be able to fill in that empty space (presently held by a spare mint C3).
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   01:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last Wednesday I went to the local stamp club meeting and paid my dues. They sponsor a local stamp show every October which I've attended most years (which living away for the past 15 years). I'm looking forward to learning from the expertise of the group.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2347 Posts
Posted 05/03/2019   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spent some time identifying Great Britain Wildings and now organizing them on Vario pages. They will eventually on custom pages.

I have been making a lot of use of my new UV lamp and seems the the afterglow is somewhat proportional to illumination That is, more energy (light) in means more energy out although the soaking process can remove the active phosphor.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/03/2019 4:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2640 Posts
Posted 05/03/2019   5:39 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hit the Boxboro MA stamp show today... felt financially inadequate but did pick up a couple of nice revenue/ephemera items cheap. http://www.nefed.org/02_boxboro.htm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Made a successful trip to the Boxborough Stamp Show Sunday. Spent about 60% of my annual set-aside for some nice classics from a 50% off box (3-dealers) and also went to a $1 cover dealer (from MI) & found some real nice Colorano Silks. This is my annual major show to attend & I always seem to come up with good product for great prices. While preparing for the Show I found some MAJOR holes in my 1990's section & found a local dealer who could provide me with my needs, well under catalog (face +10%). I will take some time cataloging & placing into the albums. As a note the next major show WALPEX will be moving its show to the Boxborough location this year due to the loss of the previous location (major construction)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4070 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   10:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I trust there was a ready supply of eucalyptus leaves

Been working my way through a large lot (talking about five albums and five plastic tubs) of French covers that arrived on Thursday. Sorting out the best copies of the covers/cachets and mounting them, and building an Empire State Building-size pile of duplicates to go on eBay in due course.
Pillar Of The Community
2001 Posts
Posted 05/06/2019   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I finally completed my mint U.S. airmail collection.

... was a sentence in a recent post in this thread. I always wonder what is considered "complete" to each collector. Several years ago I looked very closely at the US airmails and found Scott numbers going up to 150, yet further examination found about 25-30 additional collectible items among normal production varieties if you count paper grain, booklets, wet/dry printings, tagged and untagged, line versus bullseye perforations, diecuts, etc.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What follows will not be remarkable to most of you, but it is to me :-)

Yesterday, for the first time, I bought an entire U.S. stamp collection as mounted in a single album... ten bucks from the local philatelic society, which rakes in donated collections faster than they can break them down and catalog the individual specimens.

My purchase provided 1,108 mounted specimens - mostly stamps, but a few USPS postcards and envelopes as well. Many MNH from about 1967 to 1975; mint/hinged from about 1950-67, and all used prior to about 1950. In other words, common junk that everyone has trouble unloading. From it, however, came a fair number of items I needed for my collection.

The album included a couple of manila envelopes tucked inside the cover. One had newspaper clippings (e.g. The "D" on New Issues Stands for 22 Cents). The other, with a return address from the USPS Philatelic Sales Division (Washington 25, D.C.) contained not one but two mint sheets of Scott 1204 (Dag Hammarskjold inversion). I shall convert the value of these into a six pack of Molson Canadians in fairly short order.

Oh, lest I forget: also picked up a used but remarkably clean 32-side stockbook. Two bucks.

Edited by BFRomeos - 05/07/2019 11:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6238 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Molson ?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1143 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(BFRomeos): ".........ten bucks from the local philatelic society........" Do you mean your local stamp club? At least to me, a philatelic society means something different.

My accomplishment so far this week is to read the current issue of Linn's. Also read the bimonthly issue of Scribblings, from the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library. The Library mailing had the catalogue for their silent auction upcoming at Rocky Mountain Stamp show (ROMPEX), over Memorial Day weekend.
Edited by Climber Steve - 05/07/2019 11:38 am
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Climber Steve: This outfit wears both hats at once. They maintain a really impressive library and a constantly churning stock of stamps and related paraphernalia.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4070 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   12:12 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Go on, go wild and buy some Chimay instead.

https://chimay.com/en/bieres/#acceptLicense
Page: of 88  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05