Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today OR Recently?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@GeoffHa: You are more optimistic than I am about what those two 1204 mint sheets may fetch.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Ireland
147 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mostly on eBay and local monthly fairs.
Almost accidently, I have become interested in authentically used "commercial covers" and postcards.
With 193, UN members plus Vatican, Taiwan, Palestine, Northern Cyprus, Kosovo and the United Nations itself, there are 199 de facto nations/entities . Arguably 200 entities if Sovereign Military Order of Malta is included (and I don't include it). I now have mail from 177 nations with #178 on the way. I think it is so much better than used stamps taken out of context and obviously much better than CTOs. Obviously the remaining 21wont be easy....I might have to write personally to President KIm in PDR Korea and hope he replies.
All this and keeping up with Ireland new issues.
For me, Ireland is serious collecting and drives me insane...but the "world" is just for fun and keeps me sane.
Thus hovering between sanity and insanity, I am a well balanced man.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3993 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   1:33 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's impressive. Why not list your missing countries/entities here?
Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a fascinating area of collecting FitzjamesHorse. And yes, you should list your missing countries ... you never know.
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently bought a subscription to the Steiner pages and have been trying to download at least a country or two a day. Today I wrapped up the M countries as well as N and O.

I also spent some time randomly reading some older threads.

Dale
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
Posted 05/07/2019   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tgswanner to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been working on my early Great Britain plate numbers - such as Scott #33. Only have a few left to find in that set. Also, finally got a Great Britain 39d.
Valued Member
Ireland
147 Posts
Posted 05/09/2019   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New Issue in Dublin. A good subject "Great Irish Songs".this would make a good annual subject but slightly ruined for me by exploiting collectors. There are four stamps each with the opening words of a song. The best known is "Danny Boy" but the is also a U2 song. But the good idea ruined by a "special" collectorspack of just four stamps, face vale 5.40 and selling for 17 euros.
In fairness the design is quitecgood...different from the normal stamps because they have somme surplus paper and each stamp fits into a record sleeve, 7 inches square.
I dont suppose many will be usef for actual postage. I dont think major major catalogues will list the stamps
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Made another lunchtime excursion to the local philatelic society yesterday. In very short order, I found a recently donated Minkus All American album with MNH content largely coincident with the gap in my collection: 1978-1993. Most specimens were there, but someone cherry-picked about 10% before I got to it. I was very pleased to pay $15 (far less than content face value) for the binder and remaining content as-is. The society was happy to reduce its clutter. I cheerfully ignore what all this indicates about the "investment value" of my collection.

My "new" All American binder is larger and in better shape than my childhood relic, so some page swapping is in order. This will house my used U.S. collection. The MNH stuff goes into my Scott American albums.

Six months into my return to philately, and I've harvested four old albums already. Unless anyone has a better suggestion, the empty books are headed for recycling. Stamp collecting now accounts for 22 shelf-inches in my office - a pittance to some of y'all, I know - but it serves as a convenient self-imposed limit.
Edited by BFRomeos - 05/14/2019 09:01 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
169 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been filling in some holes in Australia, Argentina and Nepal from the latest ISWSC circuit. I seem to have more money than time, but not because I'm wealthy.
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today was a productive day for me.

I placed an order directly from Showgard for three mixed packs of mounts (US01) on sale for $21 per pack.

I also placed an order from Brooklyn Gallery for a Lighthouse Mount Cutter and a Showgard 902 tongs.

Finallly I discovered that my pdf reader (Foxit Reader) allows me to add Scott numbers to each space in my Steiner pages. I prefer the look of the number typed vs handwritten.

Dale
Edited by StatesmanStamper - 05/17/2019 04:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
opened this order

Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 05/17/2019   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started working on my WANT List for the WALPEX Show in October, which this year will be held at the Boxborough venue due to construction at the usual Lexington Technical location.
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05