Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 91
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4220 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   06:15 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reports of the death of ikeyPikey's hobby have been much exaggerated.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2436 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My initial reaction was that APS's biggest challenge has been the loss of membership through death so if members stop dying all would be better but wanted to be sure.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
The APS membership retention rate is almost exactly the same as Costco's well-celebrated membership retention rate (despite several price increases), which bodes well for both of them.

If I had to chose between them, my money is on Costco solving the how-to-stop-our-members-from-dying problem.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United Kingdom
253 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm busy working through a shoebox-worth of New Zealand that I have accumulated over the past 3-4 years, from all the box lots and albums I've been buying.
During this time I pulled out anything I thought I might need, or might yield some watermark, perf. varieties.

Initial sort was into definitives vs. commems, then a sort of definitives by type.

Now busy straining my eyes checking all the perfs. on the early stuff. Victorian New Zealand is just crazy for perf., watermark, paper and colour varieties. (I'm using the Gibbons commonwealth 1840-1970, 2017 edition). Its a lot of work, but the difference between the CV of the varieties is often 10 -fold. Luckily lots of them have fairly clear cds, which helps a lot in deciding between the wmks.

Busy re-housing the collection in a second 64-page stock book.
Pillar Of The Community
1947 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tonight, I've bought on eBay 3 lots of 1917/20 Pro-juventute stamps, for a fair price. Thus, getting closer to complete this wonderful stamps series. Looking back to get the stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1089 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   1:35 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just bought this little collection and build the shelves to house it.

Selling this is my "Summer" project.
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Little! Just a few pages to go through in those 49 binders it looks like :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1089 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   3:03 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
55 but who's counting.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 06/19/2019   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Ken! Can't wait to see some lots on eBay !
Valued Member
United Kingdom
253 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bought another three boxes at auction. Sold a box-full of older stuff on eBay, an album at a time.

Sorting a box of modern GB FDCs ready to list on eBay. Not too hard, as I don't collect FDCs.
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moving my Ecuador stamps to 1960 from multiple albums & loose into one good album with mounts. I'm learning two things in the process -
Ecuador has a bewildering and interesting varieties of surcharges and overprints.
Modern hinges are evil. From one album, hinged in the 1940s/1950s, the hinges come off cleanly & easily 90% of the time. From the other, hinged within the last 15-20 years, the hinges come off with ease - never.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddaann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot ---- another thing that's bewildering is why no manufacturer has duplicated the quality of those 1950's hinges. They really were wonderful.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1295 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ddaann- I tend to think the market is too small but I can't be sure. One wonders why Subway didn't go further in building a new product, unless there just wasn't enough money in it?
Valued Member
Ecuador
148 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novato to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I began to classify these beauties, all used of course, do not have money to collect mint stamps.

(image taken from Adminware, very lazy to scan now)
Collect: Used stamps from Great Britain, Australia, Japan. used Australia KGV Heads. Used Australia Roos. Used Great Britain Queen Elizabeth II Heads (Machins)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... One wonders why Subway didn't go further in building a new product, unless there just wasn't enough money in it? ...

Perhaps they were making too much money selling mounts & pricey stock sheets to cannibalize their own income?

Perhaps they could make a better return on other investments? (deeper inventory, wider inventory, warehouse climate control, index funds ...)

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Page: of 91 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05