Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 91
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a stamp that was needed to complete a set, Libya 20-31 from 1921. Typically, when you buy an old collection, if there's a long set, with some high catalogue value stamps, the collection will usually have just the lower value ones, because either the original owner couldn't afford the high value ones, or some intermediary person has cherry picked the collection. In this case I bought a lot of Italy and colonies years ago (so long ago I can no longer remember where and when)and this set was included, but the 55 cent value, Scott 28 was missing, even though the high value stamps were there, including the 10 Lire, Scott 31. When I started my Art Deco collection, I looked through my albums and the Scott Classic catalogue for likely candidates to include, and these fit the bill nicely, especially designs, A2, "Diane of Ephesus", and A4, "Victory."

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ursa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did some research on Machins and Franco Head varieties. I've accumulated hundreds and hundreds of these ubiquitous stamps; maybe there's a hidden gem or two among them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1591 Posts
Posted 06/27/2019   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I worked on my WW for the first time in months. I'm starting by combining two Harris WW Citation albums. The first volume (Lighthouse Grande) is now complete and includes countries starting with the letters "A" and "B".

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
180 Posts
Posted 06/28/2019   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Added about 136 stamps from the ISWSC circuit to my collection, including issues from Norway, Ireland, Kenya, Mauritania and Saudi Arabia. Filling in some spaces, and in other cases starting some new pages!

Alan

Valued Member
Canada
388 Posts
Posted 07/03/2019   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Out on a day trip to some local antique malls & saw this awesome deal - only $375! I regretfully passed, but did find - very surprisingly - a pair of Scott #1373b - last thing needed to complete one of my Canada albums. It was the giant stamp jar that led me to it :)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Clearly not kiloware ... literware?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Ireland
154 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About three weeks ago, I bought some kiloware. Pleasantly surprised that so far I have added 1,088 stamps to my collection.i expect the final total will be over 1,500. Obviously a lot of duplication and I will burn those I cant use.
New issie today in Dublin...Space Exploration. Originally this was assumed to be directly about the Moon Landing but became broader.i only saw the final desivn at midnight not enough time to prepare for it. So I am using Star Trek postcards and a neat touch is that the postmark will be 4th July. The astronauts featured are Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins. Elaine Collins and Cady Coleman. A pity that some Russian pioneers were not included as they were the first to go into space and a shame that Canadian Chris Hadfield was not included. The four have Irish heritage but thats a bit unfair on others such as the Kelly twins.

Alas there was another recent issue. National and International booklet stamps which the Philatelic Bureau sells in paors to facilitate collectors.
Also two more booklets...four different self adhesive in each. They have already been issued as sheet stamps or stamps on a roll.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2450 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been adding early Philippines issues to Stamp Manage - so many surcharges and overprints. I know now why they had not been added.
Al
Valued Member
South Africa
221 Posts
Posted 07/05/2019   01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I will burn those I cant use."

Hello FitzJamesHorse.

Please dont burn these would love to have them, I have a very limited very modest budget, unlike a lot of people my whole stamp accumulation only numbers in the hundreds, so they would be much apreciated by me, Ill pay the postage to South Africa.
Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
1947 Posts
Posted 07/05/2019   03:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Put on my album some Switzerland stamps from a small collection that I bought on e-bay. Found many Modern (Post-1990) stamps plus some older that I was missing. Nothing too valuable, but I had a good time. Looking forward to get some more lots that I adquired recently.
Yesterday, I managed to buy a Barcelona cinderella sheet from the 50's, which turned to be more rare than I thought. I'll get it by early August.
Edited by Cursus - 07/05/2019 03:04 am
Valued Member
Ireland
154 Posts
Posted 07/05/2019   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfin RK,
Please send email to *** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. *** and I will send you some western Europe. No need for you to pay postage. Just do something nice for somebody else.

Other folks....please dont consider this a precedent.
Valued Member
South Africa
221 Posts
Posted 07/05/2019   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FitzjamesHorse

Thank you. I certainly will. Much appreciated
Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While reading a local ad for 'moving sale' the advertiser noted 'stamp collection' as an item. Given that the sale was only about 2-miles from the house I decided to truck over & take a look. What I was hoping for was either an old type album (WW) to maybe enhance my small WW collection (I mostly collect US). I went prepared with the Scott pocket catalog, tongs, glass, and enough $$ to get possibly a decent album(s). The small collection was on chair in the kitchen in 5-6 small type books, 4 of which were those pre-stick photo albums. The 1st album I picked up was a book of pre-printed album pages placed in 'document protectors'. mostly US, post 1940, mint/used with some pages European & Asian. Very common mixture. The next 4-5 books were the pre-stick adhesive photo albums, with the stamps stuck to the pages (neatly). Most were common, mixed mint/used but mostly used. A large number of stamps were from the 'dunes' states or CTOs. The marked price was $250 (with a 50% off offer after 3PM posted in another room). I explained to the operator of the sale that the value of the offered collection did not reflect the product offered & that the photo album materials were all but worthless. Unfortunately I went away very disappointed that the materials were not of ANY quality that might enhance a small beginner's collection let alone an intermediate collector's. I am not an expert , but I find astonishment in this type of material & the offering. I am glad I did not need to travel outside 15 minutes to get to the site. I have traveled to Washington DC, New York, Portland ME, 50 miles south to attend bourses & shows & have not been disappointed. I would have considered the trip a success if the materials were of some quality, but outside my price range to acquire. Maybe next time
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
Posted 07/06/2019   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I began sorting the worldwide accumulation that I won in the June Stamp Smarter contest. Thanks again Don!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
180 Posts
Posted 07/07/2019   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I attended a stamp show in Fairfax, VA. Decent sized room, 10-12 dealers, day 2 of the show, unfortunately not a lot of customers. I got some postcards, both railroad-related and from places I've lived, and added some 7-1-71 covers to my collection, as well as a couple of Postal People FDCs from new (to me) cities. Did some business with my regular dealers, Cary Cochran and the guys at Emerald Ventures. Filled in some spaces in my Switzerland collection, and acquired a few US postage dues to mount for denomination shifts or just color reference. All in all a fun several hours; I'll go back to this show.
Page: of 91 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05