Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 91
Valued Member
United Kingdom
258 Posts
Posted 08/04/2019   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday I burnt about 5kg of kiloware rejects. They've been building up over the past 6 months.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1589 Posts
Posted 08/04/2019   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I completed my update of my Adminware Novice Machin Album to 6/30/19 and am now filling it up.

Jack kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 08/04/2019   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I completed identifying purchases from the latest APS circuit I reviewed. Turns out I purchased five Scott 1's:
Dalmatia
Great Britain-Middle East Forces
Haiti
Japan-Offices in China
Rio de Oro

I'd like to post scans, but my scanner is on its way to the landfill.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
Posted 08/07/2019   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I spent an hour continuing to sort packets from some recent purchases. So far my strategy has been to separate into three groups. One for packets with U.S. only, one for packets of foreign (whether multiples of one/a few stamps or mixed single/multiple countries), and one of items in #1 glassines. Those are mostly single stamps with what look to be some interesting items from time to time.

This weekend I plan to begin moving the stamps into larger envelopes by single countries.

Dale
Valued Member
South Africa
219 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is always dis-hartening for me that someone felt the need to destroy stamps, burnt, threw away etc. if they are not torn or discoloured they are use to someone, I recived some stamps from a member here who was thinking of doing just that, and they where great stamps none I had in my small collection, and through some of those stamps learned a lot about another country and the stamps, one mans rubbish is another mans treasure.

Well pertaining to this thred I did some research on some Canadian stamps one beautifull stamp The Vimmy mamorial stamp stood out and I spent an enjoyable hour reading up on the stamp and the memorial.
Regards Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 08/08/2019   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Yesterday I burnt about 5kg of kiloware rejects. They've been building up over the past 6 months ...

My hero !!!

Quote:
... if they are not torn or discoloured they are use to someone ... one mans rubbish is another mans treasure ...

Let us judge favorably, and ass-u-me that "kiloware rejects" does not mean sound stamps. This is not a stretch.

Let us also allow for the geographic issue.

I've lived in places where fallen coconuts lay about, often on the edges of parking lots, where they would sprout a seedling even though they were sitting on pavement.

Now I live (if you can call it living) in a place where people pay a fortune for genuine coconut water which, a recent test revealed, tastes just as awful as I remember. ... but you can live on it, to borrow a phrase.

And I also live in a place where there is an ocean-full of philatelic flotsam & jetsam, sloshing from hand-to-hand. Give this gift to someone, and they might waste hours (that they could have spent, say, learning math or visiting shut-ins) putting it up for sale on eBay.

(At NAPEX, one of the charities to which folks recommend donating 'your duplicates' had cartons & cartons of the stuff for ready sale at truly bargain prices ... and very few takers.)

Today, philatelically, I am putting together a small batch of hand-painted FDCs with which to tempt an innocent child into drawing on other FDCs that every collector & dealer I have ever met would consider uncollectable (as is).

As she plays the cello, I will also include a framed complete minisheet of a suitable stamp from Guernsey.

It is likely to suffer from severe seasonal humidity, and be lost to philately forever.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (and his clear conscience)
Valued Member
54 Posts
Posted 08/09/2019   01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spent the day putting together the first half dozen pages of a custom Vario stock page album I've been designing the past month. Am not so much a fan of cutting pages of annotations to fit Vario 1S pockets, but am really pleased with how the album is shaping up.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 08/12/2019   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got the UV light box out of the closet so I can start sorting tagged stamps. My wife keeps trying to turn on the lights so I can see what I am doing.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
180 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
zepman...literally LOL.

Today I added a batch of new station cancels to my Belgium Parcel Post and Railway Cancels collection. In the process, I added pages for 4 new (to my collection) stations: MOUSECRON, GILLY SART ALLE, THEUX and FLEMALLE GRANDE (which I didn't even have in my list). I try to collect one of each different Scott number for each station...truly an exercise in futility, but still fun. I am still not finding many duplicates...only the occasional common one. No dups tonight! Getting ready to process another batch next session.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1179 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Working this week on more downsizing of the former world wide collection. This week's target is the Italian area, including colonies and other territories, like the Aegean Island issues. Pulling out, sorting, cataloging, more expensive stuff to go to auction in early September.

Also now re-organizing folders of material that will be retained; material that is not yet placed in my albums. Getting kept material properly organized is just as important as doing the downsizing.
Edited by Climber Steve - 08/15/2019 4:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2445 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I renewed my subscription to Linn's Stamp News but opted for digital only. It had lapsed without any advance notification but finally get a letter noting the lapse. The price offered was no different than what anyone could renew at
Al
Edited by angore - 08/16/2019 08:37 am
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   03:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spent way too much time today identifying some Korean stamps from the 1970's-80s on-line because I have this bizarre idea that when I create my album pages, I have to include the Scott number, and the Scott catalogues for A to M are the only ones I do not have a copy of since about 1975. I have already blown my budget this week in catalogues...
Valued Member
United Kingdom
258 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spent the past 2 days sorting through a shoebox of Nigeria that had built up since the last time I sorted Nigeria, about a decade ago.

Very time-consuming. Some big differences in cat. value for the George V and George VI issues depending on perf. and the varieties only differ by half a perf. (eg 11.5 vs. 12) so you can't sort them unaided, but have to use a perf. gauge. Then some tiny printer's imprint varieties on the 1967 animal definitives. And then the 1973 set, which has got 3 versions -- photogravure, litho without watermark, and litho with wmk.

So after 2 days I'm almost through the definitives. I'll leave the commems for later.

At least I found a few good perf. varieties on the George VI 2/6 and 5/-.
Valued Member
Ireland
154 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kiloware Kiloware Kiloware.
I note Gibbons are now referring to Irish SOAR as "machine labels"i am working off a list of 1,118 post offices (around 160 have since been closed) and I am only missing about 125 post offices. The law of diminisbhing returns apply of course but kiloware is cheap and varied enough to have fun and burn thestamps I dont want.
Recently bought a design your own postcard" art set and working out some designs tied into future issues.
Finally I got a Space Exploration FDCsigned by one of the featured astronauts, Cady Coleman who visited the Philatelic Bureau.
Page: of 91 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05