Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2680 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spent more time checking Machins from Scott pages. Scott has abdicated listing Machins to SG given how few obvious varieties possible they list. They ignore tagging that is often easy to see without a UV light. They do cover phosphor varieties (less common than the Machin versions) in non-Machin issues.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Edited by angore - 01/17/2020 6:24 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I am back from my work trip, I am going through my new stamp acquisitions. One of the larger lots I won (for what I hope was a good price) is early Sweden on some pretty thin album pages. Trying to figure out how to best sort, categorize and store - I currently only have US Albums. I also have a few that I am not too sure about that I will be researching - such as the Fem Ore imperf. - green and tan.

Edited by Mrita75 - 01/17/2020 11:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4693 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   12:15 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy. The "imperf" looks like a cut-out from postal stationery. A "good" price for these would be low, as they turn up in many older albums.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes was dollars as in single digits - I love these stamps for no apparent reason so for me it was a good value. Another page plus a few I believe are Denmark - lol - not Sweden, but it's all good.

Pillar Of The Community
2055 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   03:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two brown 20 cents stamps nearby the 5 ore green lion stamp, are from Switzerland, not from Sweden. "Helvetia" stands for "Confederatio Helvètica" the Latin name of the Central European country. All Swiss stamps bear this name.

The last stamps are, actually, postage due Danish stamps.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the Switzerland ones are not from the lot I bought, I ran out of room on my Helvetia page so I tucked it in there :). The Danish ones I definitely want to look up to learn about as I realized they were not Swedish.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cursus, I looked into the Danish stamps further. I'm thinking Danish Newspaper stamps, perf 13 from 1907. That is different from postage due correct? And newspaper stamps are considered BOB correct?

First time using my "new" Scott catalog :)
Pillar Of The Community
2055 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I'm sorry the're not "Postage due", but "Newspaper stamps". Anyway, The listing of issues depends on each catalog. Major Western European catalogs don't separate charity stamps (semi-postals for Scott) from "normal" ones (Zumstein, does). Stanley Gibbons don't even separate newspaper stamps from regular ones.
For booklet stamps, so common in Scandinavian countries, Scott only lists "two, three or four perforated sides". While most European catalogs list also pairs and Michel, even, "unperforated left" and "unperforated right".
I find Scott "too simple" for European stamps. I've an old copy that just use for exchage stamps. But, for collecting I use European catalogs: SG, Michel, Y&T, Zumstein, Facit... But, I collect mainly Western European stamps. Perhaps for US it's OK...
Edited by Cursus - 01/18/2020 4:22 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - I am going through some of the Swedish numeral of value stamps - hmmm some have a horn on the back and other do not? When I look online or in the Scott Specialized, I am not finding any information on the horn vs. no horn. I do see that some are perf 13 and other version perf 14. I am soaking some of the hinges off so I hope to post a picture of them soon for advice. Everyday I realize that with stamps - it is usually not straight forward :)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4693 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   5:03 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Swedes began to add a blue posthorn on the back of stamps in 1886. Some designs first used in the 1872-77 and 1885 issues therefore exist with and without the posthorn.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys - here is a pick of some of those that I found in the lot (I have about 5 more) - I know the two below the numerals are actually coat of arms - trying to figure out how to tell between 1rd and 1k -one is a perf 13 for sure. Appreciate your guidance.

EDIT - oh ad there is this little purple "3" in a circle at the bottom of the back of one of the coat of arms - not sure what that is.

Edited by Mrita75 - 01/18/2020 5:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4693 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   5:38 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1 kr deep blue and bistre arms stamps are the top values in the 1886-91 numerals set, p13. The 1r has no posthorn.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
496 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Geoff - yes I found them in the Scott - I believe #49 1K Blister and Dark Blue :) (1886-1891). I think I am starting to understand how the catalogue works.
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I attended the Knoxville Philatelic Society's monthly Saturday buy and sell meeting. It is mostly members going through the club's stock. When I say stock it includes 24 world-wide boxes of 102 cards of stamps cataloging between $1 -$5, about 20 WW boxes of 107 cards of better stamps, a few binders of large items, some retired APS circuit books, and 2 binders of high catalog US and WW. It is a lot of fun.
I have been going through the US boxes recently. I picked up a few dozen inexpensive used US revenues today. I need to save my money for the KnoxPex stamp show March 7-8. If you are near Knoxville TN, put it on your calendar.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I designed and printed commemorative pages for my U.S. collection from 1945 to 1960. I am slowly expanding my collection of commemoratives and definitives to the 1980s maybe the 1990s. I haven't decided yet whether to collect to current date, although right now I'm not inclined to chase after the newer issues.
Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org) Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Page: of 103  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05