Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today Or Recently?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 102
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2656 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   05:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please share an example of your pages.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   08:55 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I took my daughters to a young collectors club meeting.

The details have been summarized in my latest podcast episode
https://anchor.fm/dissecting-philat...eting-ea8v5o

Photos from the meeting can be seen here
https://twitter.com/dissecphilately...3646081?s=21

Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Al,

If you were responding to me about my pages, you can view my entire collection on my website listed below (http://www.scottsstampcollection.com). It's up-to-date in all areas except the new commemorative pages from 1956-1960 as I haven't mounted stamps or scanned them yet.

Scott
Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org) Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2656 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   05:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott, Got it.

Your clickable link does not work because the"}." are inside the link tag.
Al
Edited by angore - 01/20/2020 07:55 am
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mrita75 (and others). Looks like you are on your way to having a good start on your Sweden collection. About 40 years ago I purchased a fairly complete early (up to around 1945) Sweden collection from a local dealer
who had no interest in foreign stamps. I got it for a song and was really happy about it. To keep in context with the thread, I'm in the process of remounting the collection on Steiner printed pages and archival mounts. I have the 1924 UPU issue completed and am only missing the Sc# 228 watermarked issue for completeness. Just a quick note: If you are going after the 1874-77 Official issues, many sellers are challenged to get the perf correct. If the stamp has a cancellation date 1880 or before it is likely to be perf 14. BOL for the Sc# O5 6ore Gray. The used key to the set. I have been able to get a couple where the seller was unaware of his holding. That being said, here is a scan of my remounted 1924 UPU issue

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3981 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Just for you, Al:

http://www.scottsstampcollection.com/

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who sends corrections via PM)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
448 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks StampWolf - those are lovely, I unfortunately do not have any of the UPU - but they certainly caught my eye - very nice. Since inheriting my stamps, I have had an affinity for the Swedish stamps - I believe it is the simplicity and the wonderful engraved stamps as well. I bought a few Swedish pages recently and have been enjoying sorting them.

Thank you for the Tip on the officials issues - I have been working my perf gauge and your advice will help me with accuracy.

Saludos, Nora.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1185 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikey,

thanks for sharing your collection! Well done!
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The discussion, a few posts back, on the difference between Danish postage due and newspaper stamps made me realize something I'd never noticed before: the newspaper stamps, with the word Avisporto at the top, and Maerke (Danish for "stamp") at the bottom are, with the exception of the very first few stamps, before 1870, the only ones that don't have the name of the country (spelled Danmark, in Danish) inscribed on them. And for a second, I got a bit excited about the 38 ore orange one, and was going to tell Mrita to check the watermark, because the one with the multiple crosses wmk lists for $175 (Scott P18), vs only $2 for the crown wmk, (Scott P6) but then I went back and had another look and saw that the postmark seems to say December 27th, 1910, and P18 wasn't issued until several years later, so it has to be the cheaper one.
Edited by waddsbadds - 01/21/2020 12:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
547 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally pulled the trigger and made my 2020 initial buy from the Fulfillment Center. This will get me the last 2019 issue(s?) & the initial January 2020 issues. I also made the BIG package buy of the 2019 Yearbook & side package of High Value & Commemorative or the standard, bulk etc set. 2020 may be my last year in acquiring the Issues with FDCs and just purchase the Annual Yearbook & try to fill in holes of my early issues (pre-1920). The annual is now over $150 (this purchase is over $300). I enjoy the collecting & the new issues (995 anyway) but it will be a burden to the inheritors to turn the collection into value.
Valued Member
Ireland
203 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dublin on Friday.
First Irish issue of 2020 was on Thursday. Two stamps for European Cities of Culture. One design is Galway and the other Rijeka in Croatia. There is only one stamp (Galway) on the miniature sheet.
I bought four sets of the stamps and posted two sets to myself. They should be delivered tomorrow or Tuesday.
I bought one MS and one MS on FDC.
These stamps are a joint issue with Croatia but on Friday the Croatia stamps were not available.
Interestingly, the stamps are not se-tenant. They are on different sheets.
I reckon commemorative stamps are only available (at most) in one third of post offices and if these post offices have to order their stamps from the General Post Office in Dublin, it is more likely they will opt for a "Galway" stamp rather than "Rijeka". I would guess there will be much more "Galway" stamps showing up in kiloware and if you see used "Rijeka" stamps, it might be a good idea to hold on to them.
Spent the rest of the daylight hours in two towns...one in County Meath and the other in County Dublin.
Also tried to buy some European/European Union postcards to post to myself next Friday (31st January) but it looks like I will have to rely on the four or five I have obtained over the years.
Next issue (the annual Love & Marriage) and my next trip is on 30th January.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
624 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had the night off work tonight so got Malacca pages finished up

next up Negri Sembilan
APS #173088
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2656 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have a lot of catalog numbers for the Malacca page. Is the need for all four fulfill a specific need?
Al
Valued Member
United Kingdom
223 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a stock book containing a lot of GB regional Machin stamps. I spent time checking they were sorted correctly and adding the ones I already had scattered amongst my stock into the new stockbook. I discovered the material was largely correctly identified. I learnt to identify some of the more subtle variations, and discovered 9 stamps with a catalog value of 50 each, one of 150, and many others that are scarce and unusual. I now have about 90% of these stamps at the depth and detail I want to collect to. The purchase was a good deal for less than 15,00 I got a smart Schaubek stock book, a weeks collecting activity and study and if ever I meet someone else who collects these things the potential to cover my expenditure.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
447 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find Noocassel! Always very satisfying finding a decent catalogue value phosphor or perf variety, found a few myself.
But I don't think there are many people willing to pay decent money for 'just another Machin'!
Regards
DavidR
Page: of 102 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05