Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Scott, It's A Disaster!

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 3,759Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1227 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Back towards the beginning of this thread I posted some cards of the Cliff House in San Francisco. After surviving more than one disaster, the historic restaurant finally announced it would permanently close its doors at the end of this year.

https://abc7news.com/8756231/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tremendous amount of history in this thread. I did know of the flood but not the extent.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1954 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1883 eruption of the volcano on the island of Krakatoa?

I was thinking the same, as the moon is rendered as a Muslim crescent. Indonesia is mostly a Muslim country.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1227 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Except that picture postcards didn't really come into mainstream existence until a decade after 1883. And Krakatoa was much greater explosion than what is depicted.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1227 Posts
Posted 06/07/2021   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More disasters -- mostly floods, this time. This seems to be the most common occurrence.

Stockton, Kansas - 1919 (I think)

Watkins Glen, NY - 1935

Jeffersonville, NY - 1937

I'm not sure what caused this collapse in N. Stonington, CT, probably a windstorm. No date.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1227 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was disappointed that the thread devoted to the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake has been locked. You can still visit it here -- https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=33058 -- but we can't add anything to it. So I guess I'll just start posting new additions on this thread.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now to pick on Crescent City, California:

1915 "Cyclone" actually just a tornado with a category under two. Over 50 category two and above tornadoes have been recorded there since 1-1-1960.

Just property damage--

Five dead:

See: http://www.militarymuseum.org/Emedio.html

On 20 December 1941, 25 miles west of Cape Mendocino, the Imperial Japanese Navy's I-17 shells and then fires two torpedoes at the 6, 912-ton Socony-Vacuum oil company tanker EMIDIO returning empty from Seattle to San Francisco. A patrolling PBY "Catalina" flying boat of Patrol Squadron (VP) 44 spots the EMIDIO dead in the water with people going over the sides and getting into lifeboats. The PBY also spots the I-17 on the surface and starts an attack. As depth charges are dropped, Commander Nishino Kozo dives and makes his escape. The EMIDIO, hit in the stern, does not sink. She is finally run aground off Crescent City, California, 85 miles north of where she was torpedoed. The Coast Guard Cutter SHAWNEE rescues 31 survivors.

The 1964 Alaska Earthquake (has postcards) also sent a significant tsunami into the Pacific. Along the California Coast, Crescent City was the hardest city hit.

From 184 miles south east of Crescent City, there are some wonderful real photo Lassen Peak Volcano eruption postcards by Mr. Loomis from the circa 1914-21 eruptions, but lack of personal property damage and death precludes being called a disaster.
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Greg on wondering why the One dedicated to the S.F. earthquake was locked. Maybe it was starting to get repetitive, or maybe the thousands of cards on the topic that were coming would have crashed the server

I found the card and story on the first ship torpedoed interesting.
Thanks for sharing,
pat

Anyway, not to be repetitive, here are the survivors of the quake coping as best they can.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1227 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of interesting additions! I especially like your post-quake cards, Pat. I've seen lots of cards showing the damage to buildings and streets, but very few that show the human aftermath.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another human aftermath card. Pretty beat and missing it's stamp.

The longer threads were locked when search was freezing the forum. I asked if an old thread could be unlocked after the recent server change, and it was. I used the "send note to Staff" button at the bottom right of the last post in the thread. 138 pages of this thread!

http://goscf.com/t/11887&whichpage=138#694050

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 3,759Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05