Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Union Made Labels (Not Union Dues)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1527 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I was wondering if some collectors would be interested in showing their "union made" labels. This is for a project that I am working on.

Shown below are examples of the type of labels that I am referring to. I'd like to see any other examples that you might have.

These are different from the more common "union dues" stamps, which typically show a denomination and/or a date.

Thanks,

Jim

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6453 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got this one on an piece of mail posted from the States to Canada.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to stamp collecting so please forgive my question if it comes across as ignorant, but what is a Union label? Is it the label sewn into clothing?

Thank you
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1527 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

A union label is a small paper stamp or label that

a) says "union made" or "union label" on it;

b) identifies the name of the union, which is almost always abbreviated or with just their initials;

c) and the primary purpose is to identify the object that that label was attached to as having been manufactured by union workers.

These labels were attached to electrical components, soft drink containers, cigars, cigarettes, hats, shoes, and so on, as shown on some of the example images.

Eventually the designs on these labels were integrated into the packaging design, rather than being applied as a separate label. This includes imprinting onto cloth, stenciled onto metal, printed on cardboard, etc.

On some of these labels, there is a small oval "bug" which is usually nearly unreadable, which identifies that the label itself was printed in a union print shop. This is what was referenced in the above link. These "bugs" are not what I am referring to.

Thanks,

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1527 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more examples.

Jim

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still a bit confused Jim,
does not the "bug" generally indicate a label you are after?

This is one I found in a lot, with the research I did in 2014.
Is this suitable?

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the research I came up with, with my label, that ties your last Image Scan.
It was inside a bowler hat.
Hope this is helpful.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1527 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

The printer's bugs are supplementary to the label itself. I'm not looking for printer logos on stamps; rather stamps that indicate that the product was made by a union.

Not that the label itself was printed by a union.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1527 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222:

Exactly the type of label that I am looking for.

Thank you.

Jim
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 10/11/2016   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's me out,
checked all my ephemera.
The only thing I do have, and on a tangent, is not a "Union Made"
but a "Union Strike" Support Cinderella (with bug).
Apparently a union went on strike at Hearst Newspapers.

(Green octopus Hearst Cinderella)

I wasn't aware so many Labels existed.
I don't think we have a similar thing in Australia.

Edited by rod222 - 10/11/2016 12:59 am
Valued Member
135 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few I've seen:

Bakery & Confectionery Workers' International Union of America

American Flint Glass Workers Union

Aluminum Workers International Union

International Brotherhood of Pulp, Sulphite & Paper Mill Workers

International Brotherhood of Bookbinders
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05