Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

topical collecting and printing processes  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 10/27/2016   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I apologize if I'm repeating a previous thread topic here, but I'm curious to know how everything thinks various stamp printing processes rank in quality. I know many of you here are particularly fond of engraved stamps, as am I, and I'd love to have your thoughts on stamps printed by photogravure and other processes. Are there certain types of printed stamps, for those of you topical collectors, that you avoid collecting for reasons of detail or quality?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
567 Posts
Posted 10/28/2016   04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love photogravure in all it variations.. Recess is over-appreciated. The time of an engraver working months to prepare a stamp are long gone bye. France and Austria use computer-steered "engraving" of every sliiy design ...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
237 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angreeley: Every printing process has its fan and detractor. How do you measure quality; much is subjective. Engraved stamps come top of my list (no surprise there), for the skills employed at all stages of production (yes, even when computer engraved) and are second to none.

The design should always be applicable to the process used and many designers, especially from the "computer age", do not seem to appreciate this! Some gravure stamps, for example, should never have used that process, as the design does not take advantage of the tonal qualities of gravure. Similarly, some engraved stamps printed by intaglio offer nothing by using that process (as Rein states) and could have been done by solely using offset, which would be much cheaper and have no loss in visual quality or impact. Some administrations use offset instead of using intaglio to the total detriment of the finished stamp, which often appear flat and lifeless.

Each process has specific attributes and I have made an attempt at describing some of these below.

Intaglio: A high security process (hence its continued use on banknotes). Difficult and expensive to replicate by forgers. Great for all line work, portraits and vignettes. Very tactile with its raised surface. Works especially well when printed in just one colour, or at most two (a personal view!).

Letterpress: Currently undergoing a resurgence, but not on stamps. Older letterpress stamps could invariably be best identified from the reverse side because the design often felt raised to the touch due to the use of the metal plates and heavy pressure used. These days, plastic plates are used and tend not to leave the raised reverse. Modern "Letterpress" stamps tend to actually be by flexography and are indistinguishable from offset to the eye.

Gravure: Especially good when designs utilise tonal ranges (i.e. gradations of colour). Best suited for long print runs (some printers say 10 million plus stamps), so do not expect a tiny island that posts very little mail to print by gravure, unless they have a huge print budget!

Offset: Best suited for small to medium sized print runs. The widespread use of offset saw multi-coloured stamps rapidly take-over from one or two coloured stamps. This is the most readily accessible form of commercial printing available today, with comparatively low set-up costs and suitability for runs up to around ten million stamps. Today, around nine out of ten stamps that are produced worldwide use offset. (Source of usage statistic: The UPU, Switzerland.)

Silk screen: Great for where heavy ink weights are required, e.g. the latex 'scratch-off' areas on some stamps, or large areas of solid ink colour, such as a mono-coloured background. Not good for, say, 'fine line' text.

Digital: Currently best suited for small print runs (but slowly increasing in volume as new machines develop). Every stamp on an entire print run could theoretically be different (i.e. unique). Easier to forge, as many of us own some of the production equipment in our homes, such as colour laser printers. There are not enough digital stamps "out there" yet for forgery to have taken hold, but I suggest that it will become a problem over time.

As for thematic (topical) collectors, I used to collect based purely on design and the ability of that stamp to advance the story that I was attempting to tell. I cannot imagine that any other thematic collector would buy a stamp unless it advanced their story, which implies that the stamp had the "detail and quality" that he sought. The process used would not enter into my buying decision, nor would poor quality printing if the stamp depicted the only known example of an 1852 letter box from a particular country on a stamp!

I hope this may help. GLENN
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 11/05/2016   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glenn, thank you so much for your response. Your descriptions of the printing processes are very helpful. I see now why some photogravure stamps I quite like, and why others look terrible to me. Excellent info!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Need help with this Havanna (sp) AL Cover and 3 cent Plate 0 usage
  Ad banner problem with Stamps Catalogue
  Washington-Franklin coil pairs from my recent project now on eBay
  Rare China 1897 Scott # 33 BL 8c On 6c PSE VG 50 MNH Hong Kong/Taiwan
  Aomic Bombs End WWII labels; look like US 1995 50th anniversary of WWII stamps
  Dual-sided & perked U.S. Customs Form w Serial No.not found online or in U.S. Scott Specialized
  2018 Newfoundland Specialized Catalogue
  Help with valuation of Newfoundland NFR2 & NFR3
  Slovakia - 2017 new issues:
  My profile photo - how to add it:
  Are These 2 Stanps Belgian Precancels?
  Compound perforations and control perfin on Schermack/Scott #392
  KGVI Black bars question
  10 cent Virgin Island Revenue Stamp circa 1958
  Airmail "Stamps" help
  Norway potato rationing instructions from WW2
  Strange Hinge Style, Any Info?
  Ukraine 1918 cover from Odessa
  Is this a 17 can someone help
  Azerbaijan to USA cover
  Nov. 24 QUIZ: How's Your Eye for Detail?
  Are these stamps authentic?
  Show your Commonwealth KGVI era and pictorial sets
  2 Chinese stamps that I can't identify
  Possible Indian letter and cancellation

Need help with this Havanna (sp) AL Cover and 3 cent Plate 0 usage
  I inherited my Uncle's huge collection of stamps, thought you might enjoy seeing some of it
  Aomic Bombs End WWII labels; look like US 1995 50th anniversary of WWII stamps
  Australia Meter cutouts Overstamped Specimen
  Coil Test Strips
  Japanese Revenue - Any info appreciated!
  Is this technically superb?
  Please Help to Identify Japanese Revenues & Documents 1890's?
  Need your help on this 1 cent Washington, Franklinen stamp please.
  Airmail "Stamps" help
  Postally used 94P5... to cert or not to cert...
  Ad banner problem with Stamps Catalogue
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  Hanukkah stamps issued today (November 14th) and immediately recalled
  Washington-Franklin coil pairs from my recent project now on eBay
  Compound perforations and control perfin on Schermack/Scott #392
  Rare China 1897 Scott # 33 BL 8c On 6c PSE VG 50 MNH Hong Kong/Taiwan
  Are these even cosidered stamps..??
  John Ash Imprints - show Yours
  Slovakia - 2017 new issues:
  2018 Newfoundland Specialized Catalogue
  Dual-sided & perked U.S. Customs Form w Serial No.not found online or in U.S. Scott Specialized
  Possible Indian letter and cancellation
  KGVI Black bars question
  Holiday Give-Away #2

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05